• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I love the score, one of JNH's best, but I disagree when it comes to where you put it in his career. I prefer The Village and regard this as his best score. smile

I never got attached to The Village... it didn't help that the film BLOWS and that was my first experience with the score. But I also didn't buy into the violin noodling that's runs throughout the score. Most consider that to be the highlight of the score but I find it rather bland. HOWEVER, I haven't listened to the score in a while and will gladly return to it once Bobby Fischer finishes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I really enjoyed The Village, both film and score.
    But score-wise Lady In The Water is my very favourite.
    (I liked the film, but do recognise it was...horribly flawed)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

I never got attached to The Village... didn't buy into the violin noodling that's runs throughout the score. Most consider that to be the highlight of the score but I find it rather bland.

Not even in The Gravel Road?

Martijn wrote
    But score-wise Lady In The Water is my very favourite.

Probably my favourite JNH score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I never got attached to The Village... didn't buy into the violin noodling that's runs throughout the score. Most consider that to be the highlight of the score but I find it rather bland.

Not even in The Gravel Road?

I'll let you know once I play it again... but from what I remember... NOPE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Huh.
    Wow, okay.
  1. "The Village" ,at least to me, while crap, it still watchable again. "Lady In the Water", on the other hand ... garbage. I haven't been able to see my way into seeing, let alone paying to see, another Shyamalan film after LitW. Reviews of his last films certainly backed up my wise deicision. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE "Unbreakable" and "Signs", but...

Anyway, just because he can occassionally make something worth a shit, I still check out the reviews for each new film he does (but that'll stop after a few more bad reviews, not counting the Avatar trilogy still unfinished).

Having said that, the day -- should it ever come -- "Unbreakable 2" hits theaters, my wallet will fly open so fast. And the CD release will be in my grubby hands so quickly...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Village - James Newton Howard

It's pleasant but it doesn't have that wow factor. Very listenable but nothing extraordinary... but then again I haven't made it to "The Gravel Road" yet... and for the life of me I can't remember what that cue sounds like.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll give you a hint: awesome.

Yeah, that about sums it up. The rest of the score in all honesty is not something I regularly listen to... but that cue is one of JNH's best. The same applies to 'Exodus' in Defiance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    The same applies to 'Exodus' in Defiance.

I'll give you that one. Now THAT is an excellent score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited
    Yeah... "The Gravel Road" is very good... but there is something up with the sound of Hilary Hahn's violin. Not sure if it's the recording or the the sound of her particular violin but it's grating on the ears. At times it sounds almost fake. In any case, it's one great cue lost among a rather oh hum score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Outlaws - Clint Bajakian

Bajakian doing Morricone! Solid listen!

-Erik-

Tell us more please.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I'll give you a hint: awesome.

Yeah, that about sums it up. The rest of the score in all honesty is not something I regularly listen to... but that cue is one of JNH's best. The same applies to 'Exodus' in Defiance.

I'd say JNH's best work, although it's tough to choose, the man's output is very impressive to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Outlaws - Clint Bajakian

Bajakian doing Morricone! Solid listen!

-Erik-

Tell us more please.

That's pretty much it!

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... "The Gravel Road" is very good... but there is something up with the sound of Hilary Hahn's violin. Not sure if it's the recording or the the sound of her particular violin but it's grating on the ears. At times it sounds almost fake. In any case, it's one great cue lost among a rather oh hum score.

-Erik-

Can't speak for the recording, as generally it only has to not be a John Kurlander recording of Howard Shore to be an ok recording to my ears... but the score, on the other hand... The percussion stuff is a bit characterless, but the rest has always been special to me. SIGNS is better, strictly speaking, as not a note is wasted, but the lovely stuff is lovelier than most of JNH's other scores. I wish he'd touch on this sound again some time.
    Anyone who likes Chris Young's CREATION should like the ominous main theme ('Noah Visits') of THE VILLAGE. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    sdtom wrote
    jacob groth and the millenium trilogy

I've just heard his score to "The girl with the dragon tatoo". I'm ignorant about what other releases are out there. Can you give a link to the album you're listening to?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    sdtom wrote
    jacob groth and the millenium trilogy

I've just heard his score to "The girl with the dragon tatoo".
    Peter smile

How is it like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2010 edited
    It's not bad, does what it's supposed to and is high quality music. I find that it lacks strong themes though. I much prefer Groth's "The boys from St. Petri".

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

Just to drive Erik a bit nuts, I'm going to praise this score as a wonderful fantasy entry by Horner.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    vomit with the exception of one brilliant cue... "The Flight of the Griffin."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Marco Polo - Morricone

This was written for television? A staggeringly beautiful work! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Signs - James Newton Howard

In the scope of JNH's career, this is one of the more subtle but not really special scores compared to other scores with this director.

I wouldn't call it 'not really special', it's a damn fine score but I'm partly with you and others that this score isn't as brilliant as some people think.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Signs - James Newton Howard

In the scope of JNH's career, this is one of the more subtle but not really special scores compared to other scores with this director.

I wouldn't call it 'not really special', it's a damn fine score but I'm partly with you and others that this score isn't as brilliant as some people think.

It is brilliant! I call it a modern day Jaws!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It isn't that, not by a million miles.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

It most definitely has the same effect. Here's a longer explanation

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Always inspiring to read a passionate review, and I'm really happy for you that it has that powerful an effect on you (heaven knows that to be truly touched emotionally is one of the finest experiences for anyone), but...
    Timmer wrote

yeah , really.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One thing about Erik's review is I'll definitely pay a lot more attention to the use of music in SIGNS next time I watch it ( and that's not exactly a chore ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:A-team (Silvestri)

I enjoy this scores for the same reasons I enjoy GI Joe. And that's why I don't understand why some people can enjoy one and not the other.

Because G.I. Joe is pants and the A-Team actually has some interested and creative writing. You won't find a cue like "Flying A Tank" in G.I. Joe!

-Erik-

Yes, there is a cue : "just about close enough"

NP:The Expendables (tyler)

While in the movie really shines, in the album it's nothing more than average.

. This score is more close to his Rambo. If I have to listen some loud score, I prefer a thing like AVPR wich at least has more complex orchestrations.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    I prefer a thing like AVPR wich at least has more complex orchestrations.

You mean noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I prefer a thing like AVPR wich at least has more complex orchestrations.

You mean noise.

It has its moments, the expandables and Debney's predator were pure bore for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Always inspiring to read a passionate review, and I'm really happy for you that it has that powerful an effect on you (heaven knows that to be truly touched emotionally is one of the finest experiences for anyone), but...
    Timmer wrote

yeah , really.

I don't like to draw parallel lines with what people consider as classics and / or masterpieces, but SIGNS was indeed one of the best scores of the decade, by far. Same goes for the village.