• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:A-team (Silvestri)

I enjoy this scores for the same reasons I enjoy GI Joe. And that's why I don't understand why some people can enjoy one and not the other.

Because G.I. Joe is pants and the A-Team actually has some interested and creative writing. You won't find a cue like "Flying A Tank" in G.I. Joe!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I enjoy this scores for the same reasons I enjoy GI Joe. And that's why I don't understand why some people can enjoy one and not the other.

Because G.I. Joe is pants and the A-Team actual has some interested and creative writing. You won't find a cue like "Flying A Tank" in G.I. Joe!

-Erik-

Yup! The orchestral action passages are just miles ahead of what is in G.I. Joe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Also.
    The sound quality.
    Is better.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

One of his greatest scores.

-Erik-

Damn straight. I can understand why many prefer the second, but for me the first just has a better narrative and structure... more emotional.

And the theme! THE THEME!!! It deserves to be up there with many of the greats.

Ooooo...I don't know about that? The theme is good but NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE as Alfred Newman's classic Zorro theme.

But hey Steven, what do you know, I actually agree with you that 'Mask of' is the better score biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The End Credits cue from G.I Joe is the only one that I really liked (and it's in CD quality, luckily! smile ). A-Team is a very fun score I think, especially the aforementioned "Flying A Tank" cue and the 2 dock fight tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Deadline - Carlos José Alvarez

Excruciatingly slow. The ablum is only 47 minute in length but it feels like hours have gone by. There are only a couple of highlights including the lengthy "Deadline (Suite for Orchestra)" but I can't see how anyone could get through this score from start to finish without thinking about something else to listen to.

Moving on... all this Spacecamp talk has prompted me to spin the out of the print Japanese CD.

Thrilling music and one of Williams most under appreciated scores. I hope that this new release from Intrada sparks some interest in this fine score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Damn straight. I can understand why many prefer the second, but for me the first just has a better narrative and structure... more emotional.

Ooooo...I don't know about that? The theme is good but NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE as Alfred Newman's classic Zorro theme.

But hey Steven, what do you know, I actually agree with you that 'Mask of' is the better score biggrin

Actually, after just playing the score I take a bit of that back, it IS a fantastic theme, very old school ( read classic ), still not as good ( IMO ) as Newman's but certainly deserving of a worthy place in a top 100 themes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The 2nd one is by far inferior.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Because G.I. Joe is pants and the A-Team actually has some interested and creative writing. You won't find a cue like "Flying A Tank" in G.I. Joe!

-Erik-

Pants? You mean 'crap'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The 2nd score is very good and by no means far inferior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I only played it once, couldn't bear it. The first one's brilliant, including the end-titles song. The 2nd one is overkill for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You only played it once? Do you not believe in The Way of The Jordi? Play it multiple times until it transforms into the best thing you've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I only played it once, couldn't bear it.

But it sounds so similar to the first? uhm dizzy

I guess the major difference it lacks that emotional narrative of the first one, which is why I prefer the first over the sequel. The sequel does have some AWESOME tracks though (and a more satisfying ending).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010
    Steven wrote

it lacks that emotional narrative of the first one

Exactly; and i never was fond of Horner autopilotisms so, yeah, it's pretty natural that i don't like it at all i guess smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: KRULL - Horner (La la Land Release)

Well, does it sound better than previous releases? Yes it does. But not greatly.
    There's a little more clarity in this remastered version. And there's something a little more "three dimensional" about it. Also less hiss. But nothing too substantial since the previous releases sounded pretty good anyway.
    The liner notes are good with nice stills from the film. Pretty nice sleeve design too but I prefer the original font for the name title.
    So I guess I'm not really helping if you're trying to decide whether to buy yet another round of Krull for your collection. I'm glad to have it. It's Krull after all!

Krull arived today with Batman - Elfman and Predator - Silvestri so I have a lot to take in just now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks for the update, Atham.
    This cements my earlier decision to just hang on to my SuperCollector version (even though the horrid mega jewelbox takes up the space of about six regular CDs wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Laura/David Raksin. An incredible score
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thanks for the update, Atham.
    This cements my earlier decision to just hang on to my SuperCollector version (even though the horrid mega jewelbox takes up the space of about six regular CDs wink )

I'll put my tuppence worth in with Martijn, and yeah, that huge case ( normally used for 4 CD sets ) is well clunky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Sandpiper/johnny mandel
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010 edited
    Just gave Krull a proper listen and it does sound better than ever. And it's been cleaned up in a couple of places too. The audio quality is pretty close to Star Trek 3's new release I'd say.
    But I'm no audiophile. I'd like to hear Erik's take on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

The Airbender Suite and final few cues are among my top favourites of this year so far. I wish the thematic development was stronger, but it's a very fine score still IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm playing JNH too.

NP : KING KONG - James Newton Howard

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MEDICINE MAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Gorgeous score, and to think i used to hate this? confused <--that's a Tim confused, NOT a Jordi confused wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I use to hate it as well. The first time I bought it, I listened to it once and then returned it! A few years later I got a promo copy of the score from Varese, gave it a spin and fell in love. That's my ultimate pulling a Jordi moment.

NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

One of the all time great scores!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think my ultimate 'doing a Jordi' was John Barry's The Lion In Winter, I bought it when I was 16 yrs old, I didn't like choral music back then and was expecting...??? Well, just something else, and I absolutely hated it and stashed it away, tried it again about 5 yrs later and couldn't stop playing it, it even became my soundtrack to Stephen King's brand new novel, The Stand which I still connect today. It's long been in my top 10 scores ever since.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FILM MUSIC OF - Ron Goodwin

Brilliant album! Can anyone write themes like this anymore??
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Only a select few, Timmer. And you are right... brilliant album. One of my all time favorite Chandos releases.

Still playing Temple of Doom - "Short Round Helps" - this track contains probably my favorite version of Indy's theme! :goosebumps: The last 8 tracks of this album are nothing but pure-knock-you-on-your-ass-awesomeness!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

My favorite sports themed score.

-Erik-
  1. Mine, too, Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    NP ID 4 (David Arnold)

The whole score is terrific (one of the nineties finest efforts) but the last seven tracks of disc two (the original tracks, not the bonus ones) are specially terrific.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you