• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

My favorite sports themed score.

-Erik-

Bill Conti's ROCKY for me! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010 edited
    NP: AMAZING STORIES: 'SANTA '85'' - THOMAS NEWMAN

It's lovely to hear how early Thomas Newman had his trademark style pinned down. This was 85/86 I guess, so it really must have been at the very beginning of his scoring career, however his use of piano, synths, woodwind and light pecussion sound as polished as it is now. Shame this segment of the album is so short, it's really quite beautiful.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Secret Weapons over Normandy - Michael Giacchino

It's sooooo boring, just a lot of blaring horns and brass with no apparent structure or melody...

just kidding

punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thank God, I was about to kill you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AVP : R - Brian Tyler

Relentless headache inducing pounding noise ripped off of far better scores but very badly done....this is complete and utter fooking shite!

just kidding wink

I wasn't playing it at all, in fact, I'll never play it again cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol but I agree with your assessment of the score!

Today I'm listening to FSM's Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection. I'm going through the scores that I haven't listened to yet starting with Alex North's lovely DEATH OF A SALESMEN. I'll then be moving onto VIVA ZAPATA... I love this score and I'm interested in hearing Bernstein's interpretation of it. Rozsa's MADAME BOVARY follows. I conclude my journey with Tiomkin's GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL and Bernstein's own KINGS OF THE SUN recorded with The City of Prague Philharmonic.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    NP: When the Whales Came - Christopher Gunning

Absolutely gorgeous score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

Magnificent score, one of Horner's earliest but still one of his very best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

..hmm...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

punk

One of his all time best! Brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

hmm...">..hmm...

^
    y'know, that was funny biggrin

Of course, when we finally meet in person we'll argue about whether Brainstorm is a great James Horner score or not and then I'll squeeze your neck and we'll agree that I am correct.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Of course, when we finally meet in person we'll argue about whether Brainstorm is a great James Horner score or not and then I'll squeeze your neck and we'll agree that I am correct.

Well, yeah, great for resting my cup of coffee upon.

:coat:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    :coat:

That is literally the best thing I've ever seen. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited
    NP: Brainstorm - James Horner

Thanks Timmer for the inspiration. This album is far too short but within these 30 minutes is some of the most impressive and original material Horner has ever created. There's a wonderful clash of emotions right off the top of the album... opening with angelic female chorus to a crash of dissonance and confusion. Great stuff!

This moves onto the epic and tragic "Lillian's Heart Attack." Horner is a master of building his cues up to an incredible climax and "Lillian's Heart Attack" is one of his finest creations.

"Michael's Gift To Karen" is such a welcome contrast to all the chaos in the score. I haven't seen the film so I don't know what the piece represents but it's such a lovely melody and cue overall. However, once it's finished Horner is back with more angry dissonant orchestral bursts with two AWESOME cues that really complement each other; "First Playback" and the epic action cue "Race For Time." "First Playback" is a great suspense builder which moves seamlessly into one of Horner's finest action cues; a cue that Christopher Young loved so much that he incorporated it into one his own scores.

The score ends with a doozy of a cue. It's the polar opposite to the opening cue. It's starts off mean and ugly... atonal, dissonant, chaotic, terrifying... but then the orchestra swells up, comes together harmonically and the atonal nature of the cue blossoms into a reprise of the opening angelic chorus melody. Brilliant. The cue slowly moves along with a reprise of the "Michael's Gift To Karen" theme right at the end of the piece. Before you know it the album is done.

Brainstorm is masterful film music. It's Horner at his all time best and I highly recommend this album to anyone and everyone! Oh yeah, the recording... Eric Tomlinson is on the top of his game as well! The London Symphony sounds brilliant!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010
    Thanks Erik. Agree with every word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Brilliant though it is (as far as I remember, but not one I play frequently to be honest), is it original? I always thought it was one of Horner's most, um, shall we say classically influenced scores?

Admittedly I do need to hear it again.
    No, I want to hear it again.
  1. There is a huge Mozart influence in this score. A bit late, but will revisit the great score tomorrow.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Brilliant though it is (as far as I remember, but not one I play frequently to be honest), is it original? I always thought it was one of Horner's most, um, shall we say classically influenced scores?

Admittedly I do need to hear it again.
    No, I want to hear it again.

YES! Truth does Erik speak, you and Pawel must play this again...and LOUD!

and 'classically influenced, Oh, come on Steven, this is JAMES HORNER ( I shouldn't need to have to tell you ) , Horner and classical influences is a no brainer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: KRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL - James Horner

Another brilliant score from Horner's inspired early years.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

and 'classically influenced, Oh, come on Steven, this is JAMES HORNER ( I shouldn't need to have to tell you ) , Horner and classical influences is a no brainer.

Definitely, and it's certainly not a criticism! But Erik mentioned it was one of Horner's most original scores, and I was wondering if that really was the case? (Since others more classically inclined might be able to tell.)

I honestly can't remember much about it, but I'll give it a listen some time today. It's Horner, it's not exactly out of my way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - prince of Persia

Easily one of the best, most melodic, thematically rich and entertaining scores of the year. Stunning achievement for Harry who's been raised a lot in everyone's appreciation these days, i am sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stunning achievement for Harry who's been raised a lot in everyone's appreciation these days, i am sure.

In my eyes, he still remains the same old Harry Gregson Williams that I've never found particularly interesting. This score goes on the bottom of my list of scores from this year unfortunately.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's more enjoyable than most of the stuff I hear from him, but he needs to do a few REALLY good scores for my opinion to improve.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Definitely, and it's certainly not a criticism! But Erik mentioned it was one of Horner's most original scores, and I was wondering if that really was the case? (Since others more classically inclined might be able to tell.)

I honestly can't remember much about it, but I'll give it a listen some time today. It's Horner, it's not exactly out of my way.

cool

And please give us your thoughts here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Sons of Katie Elder - Elmer Bernstein

Just the main theme, since that's all that's available. What a theme! How on earth can this wonderful score not have been released?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, it's great.

Is that version from the Silva recording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. The one at the end of James Fitzpatrick's True Grit, to be precise!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not a huge fan of Bernstein's western themes that are obvious variation of his Magnificent Seven theme. And I don't know Bernstein's pre-60's music well enough to say whether or not the Mag Seven is based off some earlier western theme. In any case, the themes from The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit, The Comancheros... even The Scaphunters... irritate me but I guess that's Bernstein's calling card so I'm sure people came to expect a Mag Seven variation every time he wrote a western.

-Erik-