• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    You might want to look for the far superior Utah Symphony recording with Kojian conducting or the complete score recorded by Stromberg/Morgan and the Moscow Symphony or Gerhardt's suite. Previn's in painful to listen to because of the lethargic pace.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    You might want to look for the far superior Utah Symphony recording with Kojian conducting or the complete score recorded by Stromberg/Morgan and the Moscow Symphony or Gerhardt's suite. Previn's in painful to listen to because of the lethargic pace.

-Erik-

I think it depends on what you're used to listen to. I've noticed that often with classical recordings. If I'm used to a performance at a certain speed and then listen to another recording performed quicker or slower I find it greatly annoying to listen to at first. But funny thing is that if I hear the performance several times, I begin to notice it less and less, until one day I can barely tell them apart anymore.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't mind different interpretations... especially different tempos and what not... but The Sea Hawk main title playing at Previn's pace doesn't do the piece justice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Inception - Hans Zimmer

I'm playing this in the background while playing Call Of Duty with a bunch of mates, and I LOVE it!

Dream Within A Dream, Dream Is Collapsing and Mombasa are great action tracks.
  1. Great Composers: Georges Delerue

Just finished "Platoon" and "Rich and Famous". Absolutely lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010
    NP: SALT - J N Howard

Great stuff!

There's a touch of Bernie Herrmann in the themes too. Just a tad.
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    plindboe wrote
    I'm open to conversion though. What are some tracks from MI1 and MI3 I might like (keeping in mind that I'm not much into action music, unless it has a strong theme)?

Mission Impossible III

Factory Rescue
    Humpty Dumpty Sat On A Wall
    Masking Agent
    Voice Capture
    See You In The Sewer
    Hunting For Jules
    World's Worst Last 4 Minutes To Live
    Schifrin And Variations

Go!

Listened to these yesterday. I liked them more than Elfman's. Seemed more planned somehow and less Mickey Mousy, with a cool and propulsive sound. Still, they're not really my kinda thing. I'm sure I could warm to them with more listens though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the very few scores where I think the released album is terribly deficient, this is one of the finest scores of Goldsmith's last 20 years and I'm glad to have the bootleg of the whole thing (which needs some rearrangement to work as an album, admittedly). The Lancelot theme is, I think, the very finest heroic theme of the 1990s and isn't heard on the original album at all; and there's some fantastic action music missing, too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL - Paul Cantelon

Nothing grounbreaking but a very enjoyable score, I've returned to it from time to time.

I loved that, it's certainly nothing biggy and i didn't get into it at all when it was released, but over time i found that i really loved its Adrian Johnston / Marc McKenzie qualities; melancholic, romantic, string-driven and melodic.

Indeed, I would say it also has a John Barry vibe to the score too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Last Man Standing - Elmer Bernstein

Not one of his better efforts and there are parts which I can't imagine would ever have worked in the film, but it has its moments and some action music which is far darker than his norm.
  2. Southall wrote
    First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the very few scores where I think the released album is terribly deficient, this is one of the finest scores of Goldsmith's last 20 years and I'm glad to have the bootleg of the whole thing (which needs some rearrangement to work as an album, admittedly). The Lancelot theme is, I think, the very finest heroic theme of the 1990s and isn't heard on the original album at all; and there's some fantastic action music missing, too.

A fine score. I was listening to it the other day myself.

NP: 310 to Yuma (Beltrami)

One of his strongest. Fine work. The conclusive 4-5 tracks make for great listening in particular.

PS. In one of the most unnecessary bits of music mangling I think I've seen in a film, the triumphant 'Bible Study' - the emotional highpoint of the score - had its LEADING, MELODIC TRUMPET LINE removed. (This is also the filmmaker/music editor pair that didn't use 'Ben takes the stage' early on... one can only gather that was too melodic and propulsive for what they saw as a more scattered sequence. I'm sure there was a case for this, but if you were expecting to hear Beltrami's cue, you were in for shock.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010
    I think that's Beltrami's best - and I agree about the music mangling, but thought it was a pretty fine film regardless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010 edited
    Time to do some HomeWorks before to enter in the Berlin mood.

I will Play:

A-team
    Predators
    Salt
    The Expandebles

Scores I just heard once. time to make a concentrate listening.
  3. Southall wrote
    I think that's Beltrami's best - and I agree about the music mangling, but thought it was a pretty fine film regardless.

I liked the film too. Crowe and Bale are great. Forgive the 'glass half empty perspective', but I think it was a little bit like TV in the framing (lots of close-ups when some nice spacious shots would have helped the mythic feel - quite claustrophobic in a cinema), and didn't really have a subtext (unlike a lot of John Ford westerns), which would have helped really make it a great film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    time to make a concentrate listening.

Go easy then, you don't want to hurt yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: UP - Michael Giacchino

Though I still think Ratatouille is superior, this is becoming one of the most frequently played albums.

And these days I often find myself whistling Married Life theme & The Spirit Of Adventures smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder

Very melodic album, I like it a lot, from David Bowie's excellent song Putting Out Fire to Moroder's excellent and very sensual 6 minute track The Myth. Excellent score when I'm in the mood.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    Time to do some HomeWorks before to enter in the Berlin mood.

How about THE BOURNE SUPREMACY? Nach Deutschland... Berlin foot chase?
  4. He's taking it with him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Red Violin - John Corigliano

One of the all time greats!

-Erik-
  5. Heard a re-recording suite, done and conducted by Leonard Bernstein himself long back, to "On the Waterfront". I had never heard blip of it until then.

I really enjoyed it, but it lacked something; I'll be damned if I can pin down what it was, though, as the writing seemed to be fine, the theme seemed to be fine, and orchestrations were perfect. I'm going to take a guess and it was probably the re-recording and suite formation that did it. The original recording, if I ever get to hear it, likely has what was missing for me.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I LOVE that recording of ON THE WATERFRONT. It's a stroke of genius and one very influential score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more!

I could, on the other hand, and DO!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Wow, this album is a grower! This is only the third time I've listened to the whole thing (usually only put the Hymn into any playlists I make) and I have found it thoroughly enjoyable. Gorgeous stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Trevor Rabin

I think it's quite an improvement from his two scores from last year (Race To Witch Mountain and G-Force). Though the electronics still sound kinda dated, the overall score is very fun with good choral and orchestral work and exciting action cues. Liked it! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

One of his greatest scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

One of his greatest scores.

-Erik-

Damn straight. I can understand why many prefer the second, but for me the first just has a better narrative and structure... more emotional.

And the theme! THE THEME!!! It deserves to be up there with many of the greats.
  7. I think the huge part of appeal of Legend is The Train, which belongs to Horner's *very best* action cues in his prolific career.

John Williams - Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith

Great Williams score, one of his best in years. One of cues I can never get used to is Padme's Ruminations, which, while working very well in the movie, is definitely not Williams at the top of his game.

I am listening to it, because I am just writing my report from my tour of Abbey Road. First writing it in Polish, then I will either translate myself or give it to a translation to English. I'll of course keep you informed about it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think the huge part of appeal of Legend is The Train, which belongs to Horner's *very best* action cues in his prolific career.

Agree.

NP:A-team (Silvestri)

I need something loud, this is LOUD.

I enjoy this scores for the same reasons I enjoy GI Joe. And that's why I don't understand why some people can enjoy one and not the other.