• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010
    Really? That's your favourite? Not the beuatiful main theme or the other gorgoues themes, but that?? confused dizzy confused

Perhaps iTunes has tagged it wrong? That's the only reason I can think of! It's the track that lasts for 6:44, and is probably the most 'jarring' track on the album.
    I Really don't like it.

Every other track on the album is gorgeous, and I've always felt 'Ta-Ta-Ri-Gam' interrupts the listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    iTunes is not wrong, the second 6:44 track is Ta Ta Ri Gami (The Demon God)...

I should have said "one of my favorites". Or my favorite action cue from Hisaishi.
    I love the intense rhythm, it creates the tension of the scene... I remember how I felt about the music when I watched that scene as a kid.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ta Ta Ri Gami is a great track, I like it a lot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In that case, fair enough. Aside from that track, Princess Mononoke is one of my favourites.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Best. Score. Ever.

I just wondered if you've heard Jerome Moross score to THE VALLEY OF GWANGI?

It isn't no THE BIG COUNTRY ( and what the hell is? ) but it's very much in that vein, a very worthy of your attention score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited
    I still find it odd that's Anthony's favourite score. dizzy

Well, random I should say. It's a good score... though I haven't listened to it in years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Harsh Realm from Mark Snow
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I still find it odd that's Anthony's favourite score. dizzy

Well, random I should say. It's a good score... though I haven't listened to it in years.

Yeah, me too. Maybe it's because we were used to Anthony liking certain scores and composers that this choice seemed so left-field!? Not that I can fault him, it's a sublime choice, a fantastic score, a classic score quite rightly regarded as one of the best ever written, it may not be my # 1 choice but it's a score that will never leave my own personal top 20.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Leaviathan (Goldsmith)

I watched the movie just for the music (ok, and because i thought it could be good, wich it wasn't).

I love the first and the last track a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010 edited
    NP: The NeverEnding Story - Giorgio Moroder & Klaus Doldinger

Yummy 80s goodness. I enjoy this album. Has anyone listened to the original German release with Doldinger's score only?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Yes, and it's pretty good too, in fact, it's the only version I have of The Never Ending Story.

I used to own the the same release you're playing on LP, I quite like Moroder when I'm in the mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Village James Newton Howard

His theme for this movie is one of my favourite pieces of music ever written, and certainly my favourite theme by JNH. It's deceptively simple, but it's as perfect a melody I can think of - I really do think it's that good. It's very nice to play on the piano, although I've no doubt I massacre it when I try. (There are a few videos on YouTube of people playing it properly, some better than others.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Defiance - James Newton Howard

My very first listen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Yes, and it's pretty good too, in fact, it's the only version I have of The Never Ending Story.

I used to own the the same release you're playing on LP, I quite like Moroder when I'm in the mood.

I really like the "Bastian's First Flight" cue. Shame that it seems to fade out and didn't really end.
  1. Bee making my way through, the passed few days, the LLLR's re-issue of the FSM "Batman" (Nelson Riddle).

Very much enjoying it. The soft band with the sax rendition of the theme, is good stuff. The action music I recalled from the series, terrific. And everytime I hear the driving Batman theme music, I just yern for a CD set of scoring from the series.

I could easily sit there and listen to five or ten minutes of just the same musical melodic line played again & again:
    na na Na Na na na, na na, na na Na Na na na, na na, Na Na NA NA Na Na, NAH NAH, na na Na Na na na, na na, BAH BAHHH!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    The Village James Newton Howard

His theme for this movie is one of my favourite pieces of music ever written, and certainly my favourite theme by JNH. It's deceptively simple, but it's as perfect a melody I can think of - I really do think it's that good.

Absolutely. Do you have the complete?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep. A bit long for what it is, but having the cues in film order is better than the album order, plus it has the end credits music which is awesome!

I actually watched the film for the first time today. I quite liked it, better than I thought it was going to be with the bad reviews I've read. (I can understand much of the criticisms, but I still enjoyed it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For A Few Dollars More Ennio Morricone

I think I'm finally beginning to come round to Morricone's spaghetti western scores. (In no small part due to Tarantino.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010
    The Black Hole - John Barry

It's a strange world indeed where you can buy a 14-CD set of Ron Jones music from Star Trek: TNG but no CD at all of this classic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

It's a strange world indeed where you can buy a 14-CD set of Ron Jones music from Star Trek: TNG but no CD at all of this classic.

A score that's missing some great music too. Someone would have to shock me alive if I ever hear this get's a complete CD release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I think I'm finally beginning to come round to Morricone's spaghetti western scores. (In no small part due to Tarantino.)

Nearly needed the shock treatment right here. shocked dizzy
  2. Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

So fun! My favorite film score of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I even agree with James that The Black Hole is a fine score. (Childhood memories of the film and all.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Yep. A bit long for what it is, but having the cues in film order is better than the album order, plus it has the end credits music which is awesome!

I actually watched the film for the first time today. I quite liked it, better than I thought it was going to be with the bad reviews I've read. (I can understand much of the criticisms, but I still enjoyed it.)

BAD reviews?
    For For A Few Dollars More?

Say WHAT now? shocked
    My very favourite spaghetti western with my very favourite Morricone score.
    The only "bad" criticism I have ever read about it is that people generally appreciate the third installment The Good, The Bad & The Ugly better (which in many ways I can understand...*I* just happen to think that all the elements come together best in For A Few Dollars More)

EDIT: Oops. Just noticed the post I quoted was in reference to The Village. Not For A Few Dollars More.
    In that case I fully agree with everything you wrote. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote

punk

You can't be all bad then.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I even agree with James that The Black Hole is a fine score. (Childhood memories of the film and all.)

Yes, I remembered that you liked The Black Hole, I even remember you used it in one of your 'guess the clip' games and I even remember ( to my eternal embarrassment ) that I PM'd you with the answer Battlestar Galactica by Stu Philips....I'd cry if it wasn't funny shame biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They have a similar style with their themes. Both proper 'spacey' themes. punk
  3. Southall wrote

1. Ron Jones' work deserved it.

2. Intrada just got back into disney about three years ago (and we've had some scores from them so far, but there are other scores and studios to also do!), so patience.

and most importantly, 3: If "The black hole" was overseas at one of those studios torn down where masters are missing or destroyed, or in the basement where his rejected score to "Sinful Davey"[/b] was water damaged by a flood ... TBH may be missing or even destroyed at this point.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

1. Ron Jones' work deserved it.

Maybe, but 14 CDs seems a little over kill. Then again I guess those willing to buy 1 CD of TGN scores will probably be willing to buy 14 CDs of TGN scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I breezed through Elfman's brilliant SOMMERSBY and Robert Colbert's THE WINDS OF WAR this morning and I've now moved onto...

NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

While it was wonderful to get all that great unreleased music from TEMPLE OF DOOM in the box set a few years ago I think this album was the sets real gem. The original soundtrack release was is desperate need of a remastering... we got that... and the unreleased cues allow the score to breathe. We get more of the father and son theme as well as some wonderful variations of the grail theme. The unreleased action cues are stunning... the Indy theme heard during "The Boat Scene" is spine tingling and the swirling woodwinds in "On The Tank" are magnificent! And thank God "Wrong Choice, Right Choice" was included on the bonus 5th disc.

All in all, the expand presentation and remastered sound improves the overall listening experience DRASTICALLY from the original release. While there are still a few cues missing and the bizarre sequencing and editing of "Marcus Is Captured / To Berlin" leaves a lot to be desired but this is still one hell of an album!

Oh... "The Austrian Way" is such a deliciously sinister cue and yet Williams manages for a few moments to inject a Golden Age styled romantic motif for when Elsa gives Indy a goodbye kiss! Love it! Very playful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!