• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's not, considering releasing individule scores woudl have made a person shell out more per disc, eaten up slots where other CDs could have been released over time, and even killed the chance for other CD releases. This was a good move, and it will sell out. Not Intrada-fast sell-out, but it's going to be gone before the year is over.

Also, take into consideration Lukas passed comments from the board and magazine -- he's a Ron Jones' fan, so...

(I bet he's trying everything he can to get Disney to budge over liscensing the animated scores. Maybe some other Jones' work, or a compilation are being considered?)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010
    I meant over kill in terms of quantity-to-quality. Although there might be some good cues (I remember it being mostly drone), I very much doubt it holds up to 14 CDs' worth of music. I'm sure it will sell though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Maybe, but 14 CDs seems a little over kill. Then again I guess those willing to buy 1 CD of TGN scores will probably be willing to buy 14 CDs of TGN scores.

The Star Trek set is aimed at a very limited audience. The hard core Trekkies and hard core Trek music fans will enjoy every single note. Personally, have no use for this set but I'm sure there are some gems to be found in there. But I have so many other soundtracks I would rather listen to that missing out on the Jones Trek set doesn't bother me one bit!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Doesn't bother me either, I won't bother either buying or illegally downloading this one. If it makes nerds' lives that much less painful and lonely, then good on FSM!
  2. A film score fan is, to many outsiders, a "nerd". Nerd.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anyone who collects stuff is a nerd!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    justin boggan wrote
    A film score fan is, to many outsiders, a "nerd". Nerd.

Perhaps to you since you're very defensive and probably a bit weird. I'm quite happy to admit I like film music to anyone and I've never received any 'nerd' comments for it. I'll happily admit to being a geek though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    True, Steven. It's all in how you present yourself.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

While it was wonderful to get all that great unreleased music from TEMPLE OF DOOM in the box set a few years ago I think this album was the sets real gem.

I love the end of The Boat Scene where there's the sinister version of the baddie theme for the dude with the white hat (What's his name? Anyway, it's when Indy sees the hat in the water). cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

While it was wonderful to get all that great unreleased music from TEMPLE OF DOOM in the box set a few years ago I think this album was the sets real gem.

I love the end of The Boat Scene where there's the sinister version of the baddie theme for the dude with the white hat (What's his name? Anyway, it's when Indy sees the hat in the water). cool

His name is Panama Hat. That whole boat sequence is GOLD!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyone who collects stuff is a nerd!

-Erik-

You're probably right. I gave up on 'collecting' a long time ago. I used to want complete scores all the time and would collect as many scores from specific composers as possible - thank god I'm well past that stage! I just don't care anymore. I'm in it for the music, for the enjoyment.

A few of my CDs hold sentimental value for me, but most of them I'd be happy to get rid of (after I'd ripped them in lossless... which ironically is probably quite nerdy wink).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dark Void Bear McCreary

Superb sci-fi/action score from McCreary. This is the sort of thing Brian Tyler aspires to, but McCreary does it with so much more style and uniqueness. If you enjoy The Expandables, you'd probably enjoy this one a lot more!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    A film score fan is, to many outsiders, a "nerd". Nerd.

Perhaps to you since you're very defensive and probably a bit weird. I'm quite happy to admit I like film music to anyone and I've never received any 'nerd' comments for it. I'll happily admit to being a geek though.

Times have changed for the better. I used to get odd looks and even sometimes derisive comments when mentioning I liked film music, nowadays I get an interested 'really? Tell me more' type of attitude, people like something a bit left of field, so to speak.

Of course, it also helps if you come across as a well rounded individual and not a weirdo wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Dark Void Bear McCreary

Superb sci-fi/action score from McCreary. This is the sort of thing Brian Tyler aspires to, but McCreary does it with so much more style and uniqueness. If you enjoy The Expandables, you'd probably enjoy this one a lot more!

Well, I agree that Dark Void is excellent. But I don't think that Brian Tyler aspires to create something similar. Though most of The Expendables were really mundane and generic, there were some good moments that made the movie shine. It's still his weakest score. I even prefer Eagle Eyes over it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I meant it as more of a "Brian Tyler wishes he was this good" sort of thing. wink

I like Eagle Eye too, exciting -if generic- action score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Maybe, but 14 CDs seems a little over kill. Then again I guess those willing to buy 1 CD of TGN scores will probably be willing to buy 14 CDs of TGN scores.

The Star Trek set is aimed at a very limited audience. The hard core Trekkies and hard core Trek music fans will enjoy every single note. Personally, have no use for this set but I'm sure there are some gems to be found in there. But I have so many other soundtracks I would rather listen to that missing out on the Jones Trek set doesn't bother me one bit!

-Erik-

I agree... but my heart just bleeds a little bit that they can release (and probably sell far more quickly) more than twice as many copies of this than they can of the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I agree... but my heart just bleeds a little bit that they can release (and probably sell far more quickly) more than twice as many copies of this than they can of the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection.

Yup! Very sad!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Karate Kid II (Conti)

old friends punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Been playing the three Lord of the rings scores these past days.

I worship this music. My ranking is

1.FOTR (Rating: *****)
    2.ROTK (Rating: *****)
    3.TTT (Rating: ****½)

Now it's onto Star trek II-The wrath of Khan. I've always heard so much ranting about this score, but this is actually the first time I will play the entire album. Sounds good so far.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is it the first time you've heard it Peter?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's the first time I listen to it attentively. I've tried before, but for some reason I've never been in the mood to give it a proper listen. This time I'm determined to listen to each track repeatedly and rate it, so I'll become well known with this score within long.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Let us know what you think?

of course, anything less than possitive superlatives will result in a verbal kicking biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe.

A warning though. This is not normally my kind of music, so don't expect a raving review from me. Still, it's supposed to be one of the best ever, so I'm sure I can find something to like about it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Are you playing the complete or the original realease?

Because if the complete version of TTT I think it's the best of the trilogy. And one of the greatest musical achievements of our time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nautilus wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Are you playing the complete or the original realease?

Because if the complete version of TTT I think it's the best of the trilogy. And one of the greatest musical achievements of our time.

I just played the normal recordings. It took me several days to play them all through, as I play tracks on repeat until I know it enough to give it a proper rating. I have the complete versions, but they'd take me a half year to play in this fashion.

I will try it within long though, and I'll keep in mind what you said about TTT. Right now I just need a LOTR break.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

I worship this music.

Personally I put them up there with the original Star Wars trilogy. So yeah, I agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote

I worship this music.

Personally I put them up there with the original Star Wars trilogy. So yeah, I agree!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Same here. Or rather, I prefer LOTR over Star wars. Star wars has some great themes, but the underscore and action is too Mickey Mousy for my taste. LOTR, I find, can be enjoyed much more easily as an independent listening experience.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can understand that. Although most people love the themes to Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings has a much wider appeal I think. Praise for either never gets boring... and I can never really choose a favourite because they're two very different works!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I can never really choose a favourite because they're two very different works!

I can... easy.

STAR WARS TRILOGY > LOTR TRILOGY

There!

tongue

-Erik-