• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010
    Eric wrote
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

I love this one ! It's maybe a bit repetitive for some but I like the re-use of the theme throughout the score .

That score is a lot of fun, great stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'll be sure to check it out since my collection is effectively every Morricone score. biggrin

Yes, so I see. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    Dark Void Bear McCreary

Superb sci-fi/action score from McCreary. This is the sort of thing Brian Tyler aspires to, but McCreary does it with so much more style and uniqueness. If you enjoy The Expandables, you'd probably enjoy this one a lot more!

Well, I agree that Dark Void is excellent. But I don't think that Brian Tyler aspires to create something similar. Though most of The Expendables were really mundane and generic, there were some good moments that made the movie shine. It's still his weakest score. I even prefer Eagle Eyes over it.

The expandables is very meh.

Yeah, though it works better in the movie. The first track works really well underscoring one of the main action highlight at the end of the scene
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    TAMARA DREWE | alexandre desplat

The composer in fluffy mode! It's fun though. Lots of soft percussion and quirky string rhythms. Piano and ... bowls?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Looking forward to that too. Not too sure it's my kind of thing though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010 edited
    NP: Angels & Demon - Hans Zimmer

Haven't listen to this score in a while. While I'm still not all jazzed about the Atli Örvarsson influences, the album flows well and sounds definitely better than I had originally thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010
    NP: The Fan - Hans Zimmer

Electronic organized chaos by way of NIN with a dash of dark orchestral beauty. The melodic passage at the beginning of the suite is one of the best bit of Zimmer's discography. I once did a reading of Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" , with that passage in the background, and boy was that a powerful moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Last Run - Jerry Goldsmith

Fabulous, fabulous, flavourful action score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    George Washington - Laurence Rosenthal

Intrada's double CD issue of the 1984 mini series is a delightful listen with the Golden AGe-ish stylings of Rosenthal often gently, sometimes martially punctuating the action.
    Thematic and symphonic, this lavish work just oozes the skill and love of the composer.

At two CDs the sitting is too long, though, and interestingly the second CD makes for the best and most varied listening experience. Nevertheless this is a most heartily recommended gem of a score from a composer that clearly takes his cues and roots from a more melodic age,
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

Fantastic!
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

Fantastic!

This is a good example of a score I should really listen to now that I have a bit of time on my hands. There's hundreds of scores that I have that I haven't really listened to - and now would be an excellent time to try and remedy this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is it the recent Tadlow release you have Alan? I've always loved this score and will be interested to hear your opinion?
  2. It is the Tadlow release. I've had it since it was released and have "skimmed" through the tracks, extracting the ones that sound as though they are interesting and put them on my "favourites" playlist. But I have so many on that list that they don't come up very often.

I sometimes feel like a fraud calling myself a film music enthusiast when I rarely listen to entire score CDs. Compare that with when, in the 80s, I knew most of my records back-to-front and I sometimes wish I was back in that time.*

*Chardonnay reflections kicking in here...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Awwww, y'auld sentimental softie, you. wink

Well, I purchased Beyond Thunderdome. And The Life And Times Of Roy Bean, based on some sound clips.
    I guess I'll never learn: I don't like Jarre's work very much.
    Is Paris Burning? is magnificent. Doctor Zhivago as well.
    Lawrence Of Arabia is very good... and that's it.

I like a lot of his (main) themes, but his scores, not so much. slant
    It's just that I keep hoping to be surprised whenever I find a new one of his...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Awwww, y'auld sentimental softie, you. wink

Well, I purchased Beyond Thunderdome. And The Life And Times Of Roy Bean, based on some sound clips.
    I guess I'll never learn: I don't like Jarre's work very much.
    Is Paris Burning? is magnificent. Doctor Zhivago as well.
    Lawrence Of Arabia is very good... and that's it.

Try Tai-Pan. It's my favorite Jarre score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I'm with you on this Martijn. I've never been taken with Jarre's work - the stuff I've heard anyway. I keep buying his scores to keep giving him another try. And I'll probably get Lawrence of Arabia for the same reason.
  4. LAWRENCE is a pretty safe bet. And there's always a track or two that are worth having - but that's why compilations exist.
    I wouldn't mind hearing the full score of THE FIXER one day. Jarre's theme for that is stunning.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010
    Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

A perfect score for one of my favourite films !
    Great chemistry between Tom Selleck and Laura San Giacomo , FAB cinematography , excellent direction by Simon Wincer , topped off by a captivating score by Mr. Poledouris . I wish he was still with us ...
    Love it !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010
    Eric wrote
    captivating score by Mr. Poledouris . I wish he was still with us ...

Hear bloody hear. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    Murder on the Orient Express. I have the Cloud Nine release
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Played a few albums tonight, just finishing with Michel Legrand's The Thomas Crown Affair.

g'night. wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Eric wrote
    captivating score by Mr. Poledouris . I wish he was still with us ...

Hear bloody hear. sad

Basil's loss still hurts, just so darned premature. slant sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010 edited
    Jaws John Williams

First time listening to McNeely's rerecording. Seems like a very faithful interpretation of the original as far as I can tell. I'll always like the original for the fact that it's the original, but this seems like a nice companion version to have as well.

Classic score, one of my favourites. Can't say enough good things about this score!
  5. Never listened to this McNeely version. The original MCA Records release (Williams' own re-recording?) and the OST have been enough.

This is a good example where I prefer the re-recording release just because it is the one that I grew up with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've only ever had the OST until now. I'd completely forgotten that Williams also did a re-recording.

This is a fine version though. McNeely gives a proper interpretation of the original score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Jaws John Williams

First time listening to McNeely's rerecording. Seems like a very faithful interpretation of the original as far as I can tell. I'll always like the original for the fact that it's the original, but this seems like a nice companion version to have as well.

Classic score, one of my favourites. Can't say enough good things about this score!

Did you know that JAWS was the first film score I bought to a newly released film. cheesy

see, you can go to your grave a happy man now
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the first one I bought to a newly released film was Harry Potter?

How old does that make you feel? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, the McNeely album gets my divine approval.

Fucking love this score.

punk punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    I think the first one I bought to a newly released film was Harry Potter?

How old does that make you feel? biggrin

Oi, watch it! angry wink

To be honest, it makes me realise what a kid I was, I was 14 when I bought it and I even underlined in biro my favourite tracks biggrin shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Battlestar Galactica - The Stu Phillips Anthology - Stu Phillips

I'm playing disc 1 of this fabulous set of 4 .
    A must buy for every fan of the series and any tv music fan !
    If you still can get your hands on it that is ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"