• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010
    LSH wrote
    NP: THE LAST AIRBENDER (VIDEO GAME) - MICK GORDON

First listen... (it's available free from his website).

Thanks for this!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    What did you think?

Pretty average. Not terribly interesting but it's Ok background music.

-Erik-

Agree, played it 4 times and i didn't find the appetite again for it, at least not yet.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I find that after playing a new score 4 times that if it hasn't grabbed me it's unlikely to in the future, there are exceptions but very few.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I find that after playing a new score 4 times that if it hasn't grabbed me it's unlikely to in the future, there are exceptions but very few.

True to my case too.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I only give them three chances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. One chance, then another later, then it's shoved away for an indeterminate date for it's last chance.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

True to my case too.

It's always worth returning after a few years, taste can change etc. I would say that the majority of what I've returned to doesn't change my initial view but there is the odd surprise such as Jerry Goldsmith's Medicine Man where I think, how the hell did I not like this originally? a good "find", I've played it loads since.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True that as well, tastes change, mood and state of mind, we change smile
  2. RE: your Spongbob avatar...

I just heard this thing on the radio thger other day about how a new study shows how personallities are pretty much locked in during like the third grade or so (I haven't researched this further)...

moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Newton Howard's Atlantis is another good example, a really fine score that I initially dismissed, I think it was Erik or Steven that suggested a play list from the score that turned me on to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sponge Pants square bob vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh come onnnnnnn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sponge brain square arse.
  3. Who's a stupid spung who lives in his pee?

SPONGBOB SQUARE PANTS!!!

Who makes fun of intelligent people like you & me? (did you catch that?)

SPONGBOB NO PANTS!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Falcom Neo Classic: From Studios in London City - Falcom Sound Team J.D.K.

I don't know the background behind this album or what the selections are from (I'm most definitely NOT a gamer) or who the Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. is but a friend kindly forwarded me this rare 2CD set and I'm pleasently surprised by what is coming out of my speakers (the second disc is all synthesized featuring more video game music which isn't at all interesting to me but might be to hard core RPGers.) The gem, IMHO, is this first disc. Stunning, purely orchestral material from bold symphonic adventure music (performed with gusto by the London Symphony) to intimate piano and cello pieces. Fantastic long lined melodies fill this single disc up with incredibly passionate performances (the second track "Josephine" is a gorgeous love theme) and is one of the most satisfying albums I've heard in the past month or so.

Read more about the album HERE!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010 edited
    NP: The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman - Franz Waxman
    Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra

My personal favorite Gerhardt album. While I think the Close Encounters suite on the Star Wars album is the best thing the Gerhardt and the NPO have ever recorded this album from start to finish is nothing short of brilliant!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    Listening to Then Came Bronson from George Duning out of the new FSM TV Omnibus collection. Classic George.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited
    NP: Flyboys - Trevor Rabin

Impressive World War II dog fighting score by Mr. Rabin. Superb action materiel with a bold patriotic main theme with a Celtic touch. This score is far more traditional than Rabin's previous and post efforts which are usually stuck in the Zimmer mold. This is really, REALLY well done! I'm ashamed that I over looked this one. Highly entertaining! This is an excellent companion score to another solid Rabin WWII effort; The Great Raid.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Sponge Pants square bob vomit

yeah
    Couldn't you have picked something more highbrow, D.?
    Like a Smurf? Or a Fraggle?
    A Womble?
    A Teletubby?

Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman - Franz Waxman
    Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra

My personal favorite Gerhardt album.

I gather many of the Gerhardt albums are due for a re-issue in October: remastered.
    Although I have most of 'em, I'd certainly be interested in a re-purchease if the sound quality is improved.
    The one niggle I've always had with the Gerhardt recordings is that they sounded a bit...forgive me if I don't know the proper technical term... but cramped.
    Narmean?
    Compressed, almost.

It's a very minor consideration though.
    I'm very happy with my Gerhardts. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Impressive World War II dog fighting score by Mr. Rabin. Superb action materiel with a bold patriotic main theme with a Celtic touch. This score is far more traditional than Rabin's previous and post efforts which are usually stuck in the Zimmer mold. This is really, REALLY well done! I'm ashamed that I over looked this one. Highly entertaining! This is an excellent companion score to another solid Rabin WWII effort; The Great Raid.

-Erik-

These and THE GUARDIAN are some pretty good scores indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. BEAR McCREARY - DARK VOID

More inspired takes on the BSG sound; This man has definitely nailed a very unique blend in his sound, and the percussion work is impressive as always. Definitely one of the most notable releases of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like your avatar, D. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, happy now? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Purrrrfectly. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It was about time! wink

I agree by the way; Flyboys and The Great Raid are two of the best Rabin works ever.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. NP: Crimson Tide (Hans Zimmer)

Zimmer at his best (save Thin Red Line?).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, happy now? wink

To quote Martijn, purrrrrrrrrfect! The other one was a CATastrophy, this one will leave you feline much better cheesy
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Crimson Tide (Hans Zimmer)

Zimmer at his best (save Thin Red Line?).

I love what the score does in the movie, how it stands directly of the middle of the movie's conflict, in that way aiding the already great performances from the main actors.

Being a Bruckheimer/Simpson production and the way it was advertised, I think the movie is largely misunderstood. Two strong characters in a principal conflict. Both are right and wrong at the same time. Both are somewhat likable and understandable and played by likable and strong actors in very inspired performances. I always saw Crimson Tide as a psychological thriller at heart, which is aided by the choices Zimmer made related to accents and usage of themes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, happy now? wink

To quote Martijn, purrrrrrrrrfect! The other one was a CATastrophy, this one will leave you feline much better cheesy

--->coat