• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    NP : BOURNE SUPREMACY - John Powell

One of the very best scores of the 00's, brilliant! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010
    Couldn't agree more my friend, the best of the trilogy and definitely one of the best scores of the 00's as you've said. Rock on beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Cloak and Dagger, Brian May

Even though I'm still not sure I ever saw this movie all the way through from start to finish, I kept catching bits of it on TV as a child and there was something seminal in how it connected with me. I hold no memories of the score from those years but it's still a wonderful surprise to see it released. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The main three-note motif is reminiscent of Peter Pan, but much more intense in action and suspense.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BOURNE SUPREMACY - John Powell

One of the very best scores of the 00's, brilliant! punk
    Christodoulides wrote
    Couldn't agree more my friend, the best of the trilogy and definitely one of the best scores of the 00's as you've said. Rock on beer

for me , the best score and the best movie of the trilogy. MOSCOW WIND UP, BIM BAM SMASH and ATONEMENT are my favourite tracks. and in connection with the pictures of moscow, these scenes have a fantastic atmosphere.
  1. NP: Big Fish (Elfman)

Listening to this fine score again, I'm reminded of how much Elfman was a part of one of Tim Burton's few genuinely emotional films. The conclusive statement of the main theme in 'Finale' sends shivers down the spine.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Rambo : First Blood Part II (Expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith

I needed something powerful to keep me awake on this dreary , rainy sunday .
    This does the trick nicely ... though the neighbours probably wouldn't agree ... biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. A great score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Groth's Millennium Trilogy
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WEST SIDE STORY - Leonard Bernstein

Thanks to James for the nudge, this is just fantastic!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: LOTR- The Two Towers ~ Howard Shore

I still get goosebumps!!!!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the boys from st. petri by groth. it is a pretty dark score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    the boys from st. petri by groth. it is a pretty dark score.

punk

Has an extraordinary theme. The end credit version is my favourite. What an extraordinary piece! I also enjoy the sad "Tristesse" and the beautiful "Irene". "Otto's theme" is a weird one, because it sounds exactly like it came from the score to "Donnie Darko", even though "Petri" is 10 years older.

My rating: 4 out of 5.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just played:

The chronicles of Narnia-The lion, the witch and the wardrobe (Gregson-Williams)

Good score, with alot of great elements, but somehow it doesn't blow me away. The second track with the pop beat might not be appropriate for the movie, but it's my favourite track on the album. The "Only the beginning" track is fab as well.

My rating: 4 out of 5

Now playing:

Deja vu (Gregson-Williams)

Filled with boring rhythmic stuff. Not the kind of Gregson-Williams sound I enjoy at all. The reason I got the album was because of the acoustic guitar love theme. The theme is so simplistic and generic, it's beyond belief, but for some reason I still love it. Overall it's an album with very little to offer, unless you're into generic rhythmic stuff.

My rating: 2 out of 5

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Revolver - Ennio Morricone

I don't believe I have ever listened to this, despite having owned it for probably a decade. A mistake now rectified.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Great score, innit? Will you review it, James?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Revolver - Ennio Morricone

I don't believe I have ever listened to this, despite having owned it for probably a decade. A mistake now rectified.

shocked shocked shocked
    Being one of my favourite Morricone titles, not having listened to it would be like having The Mummy in a Goldsmith collection and never having listened to it. I love Revolver.

NP: Speed 2, Mark Mancina

Okay the main reason I got this is so I could trash my old bootleg. I did NOT expect to find nearly twice the amount of music, for a whopping 70-minutes program! And I used to think the bootleg was too short. Boy am I ever served. Easily one of Mancina's very best. Is it deep and meaningful? Heck, no. But that's not what Mancina does. As far as silly, formulaic Media Venture scores, Mancina hasn't cranked out a more fun, thematic and melodic title than this one. I know many will disagree but I can't help it, I'm just having too much fun with score. Good choice, La-La-Land!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I thought I was the only one who likes HGW's Narnia scores, lol. Though I much prefer Prince Caspian over LWW actually. Can't wait for Arnold's score to the third.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Just made an attempt at spinning Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy by Jacob Smith which literally came in the mail a few moments ago. Ummm... yeah.... nope... not in the mood for that right now. Techno beats, minimal orchestral backing... rather generic. Toss!

From the clips I have heard of this there's nothing really to grab my attention in this. I much prefer a digital release that features music from the first movie: Men Who Hate Women (better known as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Much more interesting.

My confusion between Men Who Hate Women and this Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy and what these albums contain (particularly any cross-over tracks) has also put me off picking up the latter title. But reading the blurb over at Silva Screen clears up some of my confusion:

"...Silva Screen Records release contains themes heard throughout all three films but principally, the album features the soundtrack to the second and third film and includes the theme used for the full-length TV versions..."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote
    I thought I was the only one who likes HGW's Narnia scores, lol.

wave
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is worth a read for sure. As I said I couldn't put it down.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    baaria morricone
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I thought I was the only one who likes HGW's Narnia scores, lol.

wave

beerbiggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Lost World (John Williams)

I have been listening this score for the last days. AMAZING.

I knew "the hunt" "rescuing sarah", " Visitor in Sandiego" and of course the theme were terrific, but I just "discovered" " " Ludlow's demise" (with a motive used later in minority report) and "Raptor appear".

Exotic, tribal, dissonant and full of aventure. In my humble opinion far more enjoyable than Jurassic Park.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    In the movie...nicht, not as good as the original.

On CD, hell yes! cool
  4. WP: Mao's Last Dancer by Christopher Gordon

Wow, another gem of Gordon. I'm glad that still some composers dare to deliver something rewarding. Even though the sound is distinctly eastern due to the various instruments, Gordon doesn't dismiss his style whatsoever, and the few moments in which he unleashes his brassy style are top notch material. And what a brilliant final track (this track alone makes me want to see the movie)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

On CD, hell yes! cool

Sorry Ant, I think The Lost World works better on album and on film, but then, I've never been much of a fan of the Jurassic Park theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

On CD, hell yes! cool

Sorry Ant, I think The Lost World works better on album and on film, but then, I've never been much of a fan of the Jurassic Park theme.

neither I was. that's probably why I like much more The Lost World.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

On CD, hell yes! cool

shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DemonStar wrote
    I thought I was the only one who likes HGW's Narnia scores, lol. Though I much prefer Prince Caspian over LWW actually. Can't wait for Arnold's score to the third.

The LWW album seems consistantly good to my ears, so I'm surprised to hear that not more people like it. I haven't heard Prince Caspian yet. I shall have to check that out.

I didn't know that Arnold was scoring the third. Seems like entirely new territory to him, so he might prove a great surprise.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think Prince Caspian takes the LWW themes and develops them even further in a good way. The album representation is a bit misleading since it makes it sound like a rehash of the previous score, while actually there are quite some notable new themes and proper development of the older ones. It's noticed better in the 3 CD recording sessions version. smile