• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    NP: THE LAST AIRBENDER (VIDEO GAME) - MICK GORDON

First listen... (it's available free from his website).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The only thing that bothers me about McNeely's Jaws album is the recording. I know you don't mind the more concert hall sound, Steven, but I think it kills this score. A tighter recording and mix would have done this new recording wonders. Some of Williams orchestrations are muddied by the wide open recording. But as you said, the performance is quite faithful to the original. The same energy is present.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I admit I do prefer the tighter sound of the original, but then I'm biased towards it. Then again I do like a concert sound, and that's why I find McNeely's recording serves as a good companion to the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Close Encounters of The Third Kind John Williams

Much like Jaws was until today, the only version of this I've ever listened to is the complete OST edition (if you don't count Gerhardt's fantastic 20 minute suite). Not a single cue feels unwelcome, and the near-80 minutes fly by. I've never bothered to listen to the original shorter album since this already makes a perfect album for me.

In fact, I think I bought this along with Jaws? Both in the cardboard cases.
    Anyway.
    As much a classic as Jaws.
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    JP: SMALL SOLDIERS - Jerry Goldsmith
    Very enjoyable lightweight effort by the man with an incredibly fun and addictive main theme. Nothing out of the ordinary (for his standards), but a welcome addition to his repertoire nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Close Encounters of The Third Kind John Williams

Much like Jaws was until today, the only version of this I've ever listened to is the complete OST edition (if you don't count Gerhardt's fantastic 20 minute suite). Not a single cue feels unwelcome, and the near-80 minutes fly by. I've never bothered to listen to the original shorter album since this already makes a perfect album for me.

In fact, I think I bought this along with Jaws? Both in the cardboard cases.
    Anyway.
    As much a classic as Jaws.
    cool

This is indeed fantastic but I think I prefer the original Williams re-recording of Jaws to the film tracks (as with ET).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ET is a toughy. The original album I've only recently heard, but I'm very used to the anniversary complete OST edition. With the complete version, you get the full experience of the score - and I love that. But the original album does admittedly make a better album. The jury's out on that one, unlike with Jaws and Close Encounters.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    ET is a toughy. The original album I've only recently heard, but I'm very used to the anniversary complete OST edition. With the complete version, you get the full experience of the score - and I love that. But the original album does admittedly make a better album. The jury's out on that one, unlike with Jaws and Close Encounters.

I prefer the original releases of Jaws, CE3K and E.T.

But then you must realise I had many years of becoming totally used to those recordings before the expanded releases.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010
    I LOVE THEM ALL!!! The re-recordings and full score releases of these Williams classics.
    Though I prefer complete versions if I had to choose!

My first ever album I bought was Jaws also Tim so you're not alone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - prince of persia: sands of time

This and Inception have been the 2 most enjoyable listens for me this year; also the most-played.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Seriously?
    Crikey, I couldn't stand either. sad

Well, that's not entirely true: it's more that both left me completely cold.
    Not bad. Not particularly interesting either. One listen is and was quite sufficient to last me a lifetime.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I like both but there's many more things I've played a lot more this year. Fringe, Alice, Wolfman, Splinter Cell Conviction, Knight And Day, The Expendables, Dragon, Kick-Ass, Airbender, Salt....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fringe? oh man...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Seriously?

Not bad. Not particularly interesting either. One listen is and was quite sufficient to last me a lifetime.

Inception is a fantastic score, one of Zimmer's best I think. Not for people who enjoy, or prefer, lots of colour in their music though, as this is very much parallel with Nolan's vision. I find it very interesting, but I can understand why it would leave a Poledouris-Rosza fan such as yourself cold.

Prince of Persia is alright, it's got a nice theme... but that's it. I don't think it's the saviour score to Harry's career that some might believe it is.

And I can't refuse a list of favourites: How To Train Your Dragon, The Last Airbender, Knight & Day and Dark Void.
  1. NP: Spartacus - Alex North

Goodness, where to begin with this huge package celebrating - to some - North's masterpiece?

Four CDs of the score - in various guises. Two CDs of various composers' interpretations of the love theme from the movie. Or to view the DVD that features various composers recounting their experiences with North and his music?

Or to read the 162-page booklet?

I started with the DVD. I'd completely forgotten that the DVD was part of the set and it's such an unusual thing to be able to sit down and watch film composers talk about film music on TV. Fascinating to watch them talk about their experiences, particularly Alexandre Desplat. I only watched the first 20 minutes or so - I want to watch it on the TV rather than on my laptop.

The music is up next and being a bit of a traditionalist I'll start with Disc One and just work my way through.

Just seeing the physical box with all the goodies contained within I'm sure that the cost of this was worth it (and by buying it from Europe hopefully I've come out on top trying to avoid any extra customs duty, etc). If you can spare the cash and want to have in your possession a true "film music event" buy it, listen to it and cherish it

"A film score's not just Christmas" (to paraphrase an RSPCA slogan that will be doing the rounds later in the year.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Seriously?

Inception is a fantastic score, one of Zimmer's best I think. Not for people who enjoy, or prefer, lots of colour in their music though, as this is very much parallel with Nolan's vision. I find it very interesting, but I can understand why it would leave a Poledouris-Rosza fan such as yourself cold.

Prince of Persia is alright, it's got a nice theme... but that's it. I don't think it's the saviour score to Harry's career that some might believe it is.

And I can't refuse a list of favourites: How To Train Your Dragon, The Last Airbender, Knight & Day and Dark Void.

Dark Void is something I've been listening to a lot too - though I've sidelined McCreary's efforts for the "Mega version" tracks I also got.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    I LOVE THEM ALL!!! The re-recordings and full score releases of these Williams classics.
    Though I prefer complete versions if I had to choose!

My first ever album I bought was Jaws also Tim so you're not alone!

I think the very first album I ever bought was GOLDFINGER, Jaws was the very first album I bought alongside the release of the film wink

I'm also very happy to have both releases where applicable of original/re-recordings of Wiliams works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ah ha. A John Barry score was your first album Mr. Tim. Why am I not surprised?! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Ah ha. A John Barry score was your first album Mr. Tim. Why am I not surprised?! wink

I think it is?

My memory is a bit hazy now, it might, might, have been a double header LP of Ennio Morricone featuring A Fistful of Dollars / For A Few Dollars More?

Soundtrack buying was very sporadic back then, it seemed, outside of London to be very difficult finding any soundtrack releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I remember our local Australian record stores in the late seventies and early eighties used to have film scores in their front windows! Gosh, I remember one record shop section being filled with Star Trek: The Motion Picture albums and posters! And that was in a display window! They did the same earlier with Star Wars too. Can you imagine that happening today?!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    not really, no. Even larger selling albums like Titanic, Dances With Wolves and Gladiator didn't get that treatment, at least as far as I could see!? Australia obviously had better taste than anywhere else back then wink
  3. Used and cheap from an FSM seller, I got myself "Maxie" and finally made it threw the whole thing yesterday. I don't think calling this one of Delerue's best efforts, is too far away from reality.

As with a number of his scores, it features an infectious theme with his soft strings, and many times throughout the score various instruments, particularly woodwinds (as per usual for him), get solo passages.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LEGEND - Jerry Goldsmith

Bliss!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010
    NP:Raiders Of The Lost Ark - John Williams

Every single freakin' note (including the mummy's tomb sequence)!

Complete and perfect in every way! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Started my day with Alan Silvestri's Magnum Opus BACK TO THE FUTURE. Added in the two Huey Lewis tunes and Johnny B. Goode. Fan-f__king-tastic listen!

Moving on to...

NP: Knight and Day - John Powell

First listen...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What did you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALAN SILVESTRI - a-team

Loud, and undemanding pure fun; exactly what i needed.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Spongebob? Srsly? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Spongebob is God, sir.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    What did you think?

Pretty average. Not terribly interesting but it's Ok background music.

-Erik-