• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Crimson Tide (Hans Zimmer)

Zimmer at his best (save Thin Red Line?).

True, quite a great score and a very influential too, definitely helped define the sound of a large portion of film music which was to follow during the next years.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, happy now? wink

To quote Martijn, purrrrrrrrrfect! The other one was a CATastrophy, this one will leave you feline much better cheesy

--->coat

:gone: shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Dances with Wolves (John Barry)

A sentimental favourite for me. Overflowing with melody.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My complaint with Gerhardt are multiple. However, before I say anything the material he redid is priceless.
    #1....My LP's just sound better. There is a presence of warmth in the recording. The RCA remastering took that away. Oh its nice because they're a bit quieter but the recordings tend to be sterile.
    #2...The Dolby encoded material belongs in the trash. I don't know which is worse a new Telarc recording or this Dolby bullshit RCA did.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Dances with Wolves (John Barry)

Ah, an lp which i play often and a score which i truly love. If it weren't for those long and harsh percussive pieces, it would be a personal favorite, but all in all, it IS a great score nevertheless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love those "harsh percussive pieces" cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: TBS radio (local radio station)

I'm listening to a daily news show, where they are usually discussing politics, economy and social issues, or sometimes hot topics on entertainment industry such as 3D movies, but today's topic is "game music"! biggrin A bit surprising, but it's always nice to hear composer interviews. Though, I'm not a game player so I have no idea who he is (Kenji Ito)...

Unfortunately I'm off to bed soon, but I can listen the podcast version they'll provide tomorrow.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. I also enjoy the percussion (Pawnee passages?) a lot. There's something about the tom-tom (I think) playing that, at the time, I hadn't really come across before - or since.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Andes to Amazon- Nicholas Hooper
    First listen, halfway through. I think it's brilliant. But I always love jungle music so I'm biased.
    It's amusing to hear little phrases from his Harry Potter scores here, in a completely different context.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited
    JOHN BARRY - golden seal

Fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    My complaint with Gerhardt are multiple. However, before I say anything the material he redid is priceless.
    #1....My LP's just sound better. There is a presence of warmth in the recording. The RCA remastering took that away. Oh its nice because they're a bit quieter but the recordings tend to be sterile.
    #2...The Dolby encoded material belongs in the trash. I don't know which is worse a new Telarc recording or this Dolby bullshit RCA did.
    Tom

Yeah... the Dolby surround remastering destroyed the brilliant dynamics and details of K.E. Wilkinson's outstanding recordings. I have a few of the non-Dolby releases and they sound amazing! Hopefully, these new editions are non-Dolby mastered albums! I would love to hear Tiomkin's Lost Horizon without the muffled sound quality!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN BARRY - golden seal

Fantastic.

In particular the track The Frolic, excellent!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Dances with Wolves (John Barry)

If it weren't for those long and harsh percussive pieces, it would be a personal favorite, but all in all, it IS a great score nevertheless.

My sentiments exactly

NP: Agnes of God - Georges Delerue

This is a very widely praised score. I LOVE the second and last tracks of this score. That melody is heart-meltingly beautiful. There is a lot of this score that I'm just okay about (tracks 3-6, 8-11). With the exception of track 7, all the stuff in the middle isn't very enjoyable to me. I imagine most of the praise for this is actually for the amazing theme? Or do some of you out there really love some of the music in the middle?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    uhm

I sense we shall have to discuss with Bregt the option of having you removed from the internet entirely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010 edited
    NP: Duplicity - James Newton Howard

The recording session edit is a much more enjoyable version of the score. The bounciness of the score suggest the best of Powell but done almost effortlessly.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Recording session edit? Want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Army of Darkness - Joseph Loduca

Brilliant... although the recording is dreadful. I can't believe this was recorded by Dennis Sands!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote

Brilliant... although the recording is dreadful. I can't believe this was recorded by Dennis Sands!

-Erik-

I know, I wish a proper recording would be released someday
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Maybe, he, erm, had..........sand in his ears?

--------->coat, out of the ------>door----->>>>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    uhm

I sense we shall have to discuss with Bregt the option of having you removed from the internet entirely.

Let's get the burgameister, let's march on Christopher with everybody carrying flaming torches and sharp things.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DEEP - John Barry

Bliss! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Escape To Victory - Bill Conti

I've been playing this a lot the last few days .
    A fun score with a theme I can't seem to get out of my head .
    That's why I'm playing it again ... biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. ^^^ One of Conti's best I would say. Though the theme is a rip off of a classical piece of music (I can't recall what right now), it's still a very enjoyable score. I've already said this a few times, but I will say it again:

Looking at the number (yes, they're actually "numbered") on the back of my CD, it would appear Prometheus Records has not sold many copies (maybe why there's been no more Conti from them since...), so folks do yourself a favor and check out the score and buy it if you like what you hear -- help support Prometheus and Conti CDs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jzV1n2nrU

EDIT:
    http://screenarchives.com/title_detail. … O-VICTORY/

(SAE also offers signed copies, but at a higher price, a price I don't think the score warrents...)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Good , sound advice justin ... punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    ^^^ One of Conti's best I would say. Though the theme is a rip off of a classical piece of music (I can't recall what right now),

Classical?
    Hmmm.., I am reminded a little of the disowned bastard child of The Great Escape and Anchors Aweigh, but there's little really classical that I am reminded of. confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Bad choice of word maybe; an old piece of music, maybe from a symphony. Must be a review of the score somewhere that states where it's from...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm...al I can find referenced quite unanimously in several reviews is Bernstein's The Great Escape.
    But that's so obvious it HAS to be intentional.
  7. That wasn't it, though. Oh well, sure I'll find it again sometimes later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: One Eyed Jacks - Hugo Friedhofer

I don't see what the big fuss is over this score. I've only listened to disc one of this new release from Kritzerland (which is the LP presentation) and besides the main theme and a few solid action licks I've been rather bored by the score. Perhaps later down the road I can give it another spin but so far this one doesn't really interest me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just made an attempt at spinning Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy by Jacob Smith which literally came in the mail a few moments ago. Ummm... yeah.... nope... not in the mood for that right now. Techno beats, minimal orchestral backing... rather generic. Toss!

Also in the package was Ennio Morricone's Baaria. Curious? Wasn't this released last year? Oh, I see, this is the Silva Screen pressing. Same content as the Image Music release. Well, I guess this gives me a pretty good excuse to spin this gem again!

-Erik-