• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010
    Yeah, but you can quantify anything! I bet you even have a Top Five Bodily Function list.

Though... you don't have to share that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Burps > Farts

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I said you didn't have to shar--- actually, for me it's the other way round.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I breezed through Elfman's brilliant SOMMERSBY and Robert Colbert's THE WINDS OF WAR this morning and I've now moved onto...

NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

While it was wonderful to get all that great unreleased music from TEMPLE OF DOOM in the box set a few years ago I think this album was the sets real gem. The original soundtrack release was is desperate need of a remastering... we got that... and the unreleased cues allow the score to breathe. We get more of the father and son theme as well as some wonderful variations of the grail theme. The unreleased action cues are stunning... the Indy theme heard during "The Boat Scene" is spine tingling and the swirling woodwinds in "On The Tank" are magnificent! A thank God "Wrong Choice, Right Choice" was included on the bonus 5th disc.

All in all, the expand presentation and remastered sound improves the overall listening experience DRASTICALLY from the original release. While there are still a few cues missing and the bizarre sequencing and editing of "Marcus Is Captured / To Berlin" leaves a lot to be desired this is one hell of an album!

Oh... "The Austrian Way" is such a deliciously sinister cue and yet Williams manages for a few moments to inject a Golden Age styled romantic motif for when Elsa gives Indy a goodbye kiss! Love it! Very playful!

-Erik-

I still haven't had a chance to listen to anything on this boxset. It's sitting there, eager for attention. (Or is it? Damn it, did I actually buy the thing?! That was a major oversight if not.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited
    NP: Masters of the Universe - Bill Conti

Not much of this is original but for those seeking a score with that quintessential 80's sound then this one is for you! So much fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    I still haven't had a chance to listen to anything on this boxset. It's sitting there, eager for attention. (Or is it? Damn it, did I actually buy the thing?! That was a major oversight if not.)

Let's us know when you do! I'd love to hear your opinion.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010
    Steven wrote
    I can understand that. Although most people love the themes to Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings has a much wider appeal I think. Praise for either never gets boring... and I can never really choose a favourite because they're two very different works!

I love both, Star Wars edges it for me.

In the 00's there is nothing that matches Shore's scores for greatness IMO, they are scores that would stand up in any decade.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Dragonball: Evolution - Brian Tyler

I like this side of Tyler... more of his action scores should be like Alien vs. Predator 2 or this score, rather than the Stallone movies he's done. And thematic too, which is even better.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Space Camp - John Williams

Another fine score from Williams!
    There is that glitch in track 12 so I'll be ordering a replacement.
    But other than that ...and the infamously cheesy "Training Montage" this is a great release! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Sorcerer's Aprentice (Rabin)

Oh God....I passed to listen this score when it was realeased.A Shame because it's fucking cool!!!!!

It's one of the funniest scores of the year so far. Rabin comming back to the MediaVentures Golden years.

Chorus, percusion, electric guitars, PowerAnthems, electronics, sampled orchestra and some little touches of Sword and sorcery wich makes a really fun listening experience.

"Car Chase" punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JESUS OF NAZARETH - Maurice Jarre

A wonderful score, up there with the best TV scores ever written. My only complaint is that the CD sounds harsh and tinny, this could really do with the deluxe treatment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MARCO POLO - Ennio Morricone

A gorgeous score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Sorcerer's Aprentice (Rabin)

It's one of the funniest scores of the year so far. Rabin comming back to the MediaVentures Golden years.

You're right, that is funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MARCO POLO - Ennio Morricone

A gorgeous score.

Indeed. Anyway, I prefer listen the original realease. It's a better listening experience.

A gorgeous theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ennio Morricone - 50 Movie Themes Hits (3 CDs)

It's so nice to finally get past that mental block that was preventing me from enjoying Morricone. I thought one of his numerous compilations would be a good place to start to get more familiar with his music.

I'm sure there will still be a lot of his music I won't like, but at least I can enjoy his classics. Funnily enough one of the first Morricone scores I grew to like was his score to The Thing. Mental. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Amongst many others, the theme from 'The Mercenary' is one powerful piece of film music! shocked

Admittedly I first heard it in Kill Bill Vol.2, and it works so well in the scene it was used for (as I'm sure it does in the film it was originally intended for).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Ennio Morricone - 50 Movie Themes Hits (3 CDs)

It's so nice to finally get past that mental block that was preventing me from enjoying Morricone. I thought one of his numerous compilations would be a good place to start to get more familiar with his music.

I'm sure there will still be a lot of his music I won't like, but at least I can enjoy his classics. Funnily enough one of the first Morricone scores I grew to like was his score to The Thing. Mental. dizzy

THE THING is one of the greatest moody, atmospheric scores ever.

NP : THE AVENGERS - Joel McNeely

Excellent score, love it but it's a shame that fabulous Bond-like main theme doesn't get a workout in the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    THE THING is one of the greatest moody, atmospheric scores ever.

I wasn't a fan of it when I first heard it in the film, but now I wouldn't want to hear any other score in that film. Perfect match.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010
    Legendary Italian Westerns Ennio Morricone

I love the opening song, 'A Gringo Like Me' from Gunfight at Red Sands. applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Film Music of Roy Webb from the films of Val Lewton. This is a very under appreciated composer who suffered the tragedy of losing his home because of a fire. This included all of this film material. He became so despondent that he never wrote again. Long before the days of computer storage.
    Thomas sad
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Within the Roy Webb CD I'm listening to The Seventh Victim a film many of you are not familiar with.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote

I love the opening song, 'A Gringo Like Me' from Gunfight at Red Sands. applause

Yep, it's a blast, and I love the stupid lyrics: "There's just one kind of man you can trust. That's a dead man...or a gringo like me". Erm, that's two men.

It's nice to see you finally enjoy some Morricone, Steven.

Peter cuba
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

biggrin cheesy

My favourite song from a Morricone Western is Run Man Run from The Big Gundown, does your collection have that one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll be sure to check it out since my collection is effectively every Morricone score. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin cheesy

My favourite song from a Morricone Western is Run Man Run from The Big Gundown, does your collection have that one?

I've always thought she screams a bit too excessively in that song. I prefer the instrumental versions way more.

My favourite Morricone western song is the one from "Il ritorno di Ringo". Perfection!

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: JAG - Bruce Broughton

Taking a break from my repeated "How to Train Your Dragon" listenings to spin this fun Broughton bit.

repeated 'how to train your dragon' listens? Right, 'cause there's no other scores on this damned world wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    Dark Void Bear McCreary

Superb sci-fi/action score from McCreary. This is the sort of thing Brian Tyler aspires to, but McCreary does it with so much more style and uniqueness. If you enjoy The Expandables, you'd probably enjoy this one a lot more!

Well, I agree that Dark Void is excellent. But I don't think that Brian Tyler aspires to create something similar. Though most of The Expendables were really mundane and generic, there were some good moments that made the movie shine. It's still his weakest score. I even prefer Eagle Eyes over it.

The expandables is very meh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyone who collects stuff is a nerd!

-Erik-

You're probably right. I gave up on 'collecting' a long time ago. I used to want complete scores all the time and would collect as many scores from specific composers as possible - thank god I'm well past that stage! I just don't care anymore. I'm in it for the music, for the enjoyment.

A few of my CDs hold sentimental value for me, but most of them I'd be happy to get rid of (after I'd ripped them in lossless... which ironically is probably quite nerdy wink).

Isn't being a film score fan about the music? Where did i loose the part where we turn into idiotic blind collector nerds?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erm... I... I don't know?

For some (or many) I'm sure 'collecting' is a big part of being a film score fan, and that's fine (unless it becomes obsessive and weird). For those like me who have given up with collecting, or perhaps never did it in the first place, it's just about the music, and that's fine too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

I love this one ! It's maybe a bit repetitive for some but I like the re-use of the theme throughout the score .
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"