• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    Scribe wrote
    How dare Zimmer copy Max Steiner and include an orchestra in Inception!! angry angry He should have gone the route of postmodern sound design and used plastic spoons banging on a table instead!! Where's the creativity? The inspiration? The originality?

But then he would be accused of copying Jerry Goldsmith. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    He didn't copy Vangelis; Vangelis is everywhere in this genre; when you touch a synth to write synth music, Vangelis is the area's heritage as one of the pioneers of the genre naturally. Inception is 100% Zimmer; modern, unique and trademarked his sound; open your ears.

A track like Old souls is clearly a homage to Blade runner and I'm pretty sure he was asked to do it in that style. I've no problem with it. In fact I think it's a cool homage. But to deny it and call it 100% Zimmer is a denial of the obvious.

Peter smile
  1. Exactly. How many times do I have to repeat that Nolan admits that Blade Runner is one of his ALL TIME favorites?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

One of the all time greats, sublime music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Exactly. How many times do I have to repeat that Nolan admits that Blade Runner is one of his ALL TIME favorites?

Probably not nearly as many times as Jordi has to tell us about his latest opinion on the new Zimmer score. (Which is always worth reading and not tiresome at all.)
  2. Jordi:

"oh zimmer, how do i love thee? let me count the ways ."

Zimmer: "He loves me, he loves me not. He loves me, he loves me not..."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010 edited
    NP : MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS - John Barry

Gorgeous, gentle melodies, ominously dark moods, grand, regal fanfares and even the odd bagpipes here and there, Historical drama is something that Barry truly excelled in, what a shame he wasn't given more opportunity in this genre, a genre where I believe he was only matched by Georges Delerue.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

Superb.
  3. Timmer wrote
    NP : A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

Superb.

Probably my favorite Horner score of all time, even after listening to 25-30 of his scores...
  4. It's very good. It is my #8 favorite Horner score.
  5. NP: Spartacus - Randy Miller

Not a score I visit often, but there's one theme in there that I really like.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Tom and Jerry - Pecos Pest - Scott Bradley

Bradley was a genius in the way that he hit all the action in these cartoons but yet made the music listenable and enjoyable.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Paycheck - Powell

I'm really appreciating Powell's music lately. This, How to Train Your Dragon, Bolt, and Hancock have really impressed me. He has one of the freshest sounds out there right now, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010
    Heist - Theodore Shapiro

A wonderful thriller score. Best thing he's done, despite the obvious influence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Journey To The Island from Jurassic Park - John Williams

I don't know why at all, but themes from this score and Horton Hears A Who! were stuck in my head, when I was in bed last night. (Or was it this morning? I don't remember) dizzy

I don't have Horton yet so I'm playing this now. Fantastic track!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  8. Fantastic score too, haven't listened to it for too long.

Having said that, while the score is fantastic, I think it's a case of a badly released great score. I think the same of Hunt for Red October. Case in point with Jurassic Park? Two very dark pieces (one basically underscore) divided by a romantic theme statement, Why?
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010 edited
    I'm currently listening for the 1000000000000000000th time to Gothika's"Miranda theme" by John Ottman
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010 edited
    never mind
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I so want the T-Rex Jeep Chase track from Jurassic Park. One of the best action cues there and not available in any proper format. An expanded release is most welcome by me!
  9. kokodezil wrote
    I'm currently listening for the 1000000000000000000th time to Gothika's"Miranda theme" by John Ottman

That's the one track I listen to from this CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Inkheart ~Javier Navarrete
    Charming and fairytalish! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2010
    NP: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND - JOHN POWELL

A bit needlessly over-powering in places but it's a solid effort from Powell. You can't complain about Phoenix's theme - that's just fucking epic.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Passchendaele - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

First listen ...
    Looks like the violin takes centre stage in this one .
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nostromo - E Morricone

Masterpiece!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nostromo - E Morricone

Masterpiece!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes. You said.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  10. Southall wrote
    Nostromo - E Morricone

Masterpiece!

Masterpiece!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    Eric wrote
    Passchendaele - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

First listen ...
    Looks like the violin takes centre stage in this one .

I remember it being passable, as with the last 2-3 works of the composer AFTER Evening, which was one very inspired work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nostromo - E Morricone

Masterpiece!

Masterpiece!

Masterpiece!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am