• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010 edited
    NP : THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry

Splendid score, one of Barry's very best and full of choral greatness.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    Thanks for the idea Mr. Timmer.
    I shall play it now! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I made my own edited version where I've cut out all the 'horror' and tenser moments, retaining all the action/adventure heroic parts, coming to just over 50 minutes. Until editing it, I'd never really enjoyed this one as much as others... but having cut out the parts I don't like, it's near-perfect (perfect being Wrath of Khan).

Steven edits Horner freezing

It's quite good actually. cool

But then I would say that. That's the whole point!

Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite Joe Hishaishi

One of the most beautiful tracks followed by one of the most annoying tracks. Still, it's easy to edit it out and just listen to the rest of this gorgeous 'score'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does your editing still contain Widows Web and Widows Lullaby?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Absolutely. (Widow's Web is basically a Wrath Of Khan riff, so of course I'm going to keep that!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In that case, without having even heard your edit I pronounce it a success biggrin beer
  1. "Laurette" / "Prince Jack" (Kritzerland; sold out)
    Elmer Bernstein

Two wonderful small ensamble scores with good themes and good listens.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: JAG - Bruce Broughton

Taking a break from my repeated "How to Train Your Dragon" listenings to spin this fun Broughton bit.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    Erik is on a roll! cheesy punk

500 DAYS OF SUMMER | mychael danna & Rob Simonson

A promo. love

What a cute melodies this score throws around. I don't know who got the most in it, but a lot of the piano and woodwind sounds like Danna's style. It's lovely all the way.

As for the song cd, it contains some absolute cool one, especially the English band Mumma-Ra's with She's Got You High. punk Regina Spektor (what's in name, wtf) does a good job too.

And Carla Bruni's song is sweet and ... sexy!

Agree with everyone you said!!!

Carla bruni's son is so charmng...

"bad kids", "Sweet diposition" and "you make my dreams com true" makes my day.

Did you have the bonus track with Zoey singing sugar girl? it's great!

NP:Brian Tyler (Final destination)

One of tyler's best albums in the recent years. A lot more interesting than expendeables.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Free Willy 2 - Basil Poledouris

If I don't comment on this right now I won't get a chance, since the 10 minutes of score on this CD are over so quickly! After watching the movie for the first time a couple of days ago I realize now how badly we need an expanded edition of this. The oil fire climax of the film was astounding emotional action material.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm glad I never bought it because I believe it's only a matter of time before Basil's score is released.
  2. So I haven't listened to it in soundtrack format yet, but after seeing and loving the film, I was most impressed with Hans Zimmer's score for Inception. I didn't think I would enjoy a completely electronic score, but clearly I was wrong...
  3. Okay, now I'm listening to it on soundtrack, and I'm loving it. "Mombasa" and "Dream Within a Dream" are great, crowd-pleasing action cues, and "Time" is amazing in its simplicity. Zimmer is probably the only composer I know who can infuse so much emotion in 2 notes...

And the blaring brass that's scatter throughout the score is ridiculously epic. It probably works in this film better than it did with films like Gladiator or The Last Samurai. I like how Zimmer tried to tie it with Edith Piaf...so random, just like in the movie. biggrin
  4. Saving Sarah Cain - Mark McKenzie

This album, as a whole, is very soft, pleasant music that really doesn't do a whole lot, but there are a couple of tracks that are just beautiful. "You're OK in everyway" is one of them. Wow! What a gorgeous piece of music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    Heavy Metal - Elmer Bernstein

By Taarna ! What a great score ! Especially the Taarna segments .
    Back in the days , I really had a crush on this wonderful animated character !
    (and I secretly still do ... ssshhh ...)
    Wish she was real ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Heavy Metal is one of my all time favourites, I may even play it myself later, but in the meantime....

NP : THE MUMMY - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    • CommentAuthorredgrange
    NP: The Big Country -- Moross

Played it once already this morning, and then just had to play it again. It's that damn good. cool

The Welcoming may well be my favorite piece of music. Ever. Period.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Best. Score. Ever.
  5. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

Great, melodic, atmospheric, but always very emotional score. I don't see much talk about it here. It's wonderful. The action music is a bit dodgy, but the dreamy atmosphere and the thematic material makes up for it and more.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Heavy Metal 2000 - Frederic Talgorn

It's been a while since I played this , so I'm re-discovering it ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  6. James Horner - Beyond Borders

An odd beast. Some of Horner's best themes and then the electronics. Cambodia II is almost unbearable and not very original. The whole concept and arrangement. Also some notes. It's all taken from Mike Oldfield's The KIlling Fields, particularly Evacuation.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Beyond Borders

An odd beast. Some of Horner's best themes and then the electronics. Cambodia II is almost unbearable and not very original. The whole concept and arrangement. Also some notes. It's all taken from Mike Oldfield's The KIlling Fields, particularly Evacuation.

And no where near as good as Oldfield's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

Great, melodic, atmospheric, but always very emotional score. I don't see much talk about it here. It's wonderful. The action music is a bit dodgy, but the dreamy atmosphere and the thematic material makes up for it and more.

It's perhaps my #2 favourite Zimmer, after Gladiator. I adore this score. Some of the most emotional music I know.

NP: Cold Mountain, Gabriel Yared

Not a steady fan of the composer. But I feel this is his best work. Such a carefully crafted theme, lovely in all its simplicity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I fancy somethiung spooky to go to bed to...

NP : OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Great choice Mr. Tim sir! Love Outland (when I'm in the right frame)

NP: Stingray & UFO (40th Anniversary Edition) - Barry Gray

I'm in a nostalgic Barry Gray mood so I played both these recent aquisitions.
    Gray knew how to make a 35 piece orchestra sound "BIG"!
    Classic stuff! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Beyond Borders

And no where near as good as Oldfield's score.

I've not heard Oldfield's score, but electronics aside, Beyond Borders has one of Horner's most beautiful themes I reckon. The piano solo is also very nice... but I get the feeling it's not really Horner's?
  7. If you think of Chechnya III then no. It's a Schummann piece (Traumerei)), credited on album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote

One of the most beautiful tracks followed by one of the most annoying tracks. Still, it's easy to edit it out and just listen to the rest of this gorgeous 'score'.

Which track annoys you?! shocked

NP: "The World Heritage" Symphonic Suite - Yuji Toriyama (with Robin Smith & Philippe Saisse)

There are many good opening (or ending) themes from Japanese TV documentary shows, and the opening theme from this show is one of my favorites. Though I prefer other versions on the soundtrack album, this symphonic version is the most orchestral and soothing. I also like a piece called The Divider (it includes the theme in some parts)

The rest tracks are mostly not so memorable "background music" with one vocal track, but it's not bad to listen while cleaning up my room smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote
    Steven wrote

Ta-Ta-Ri-Gami. I just... really don't like it.

The rest I absolutely adore. Brilliant music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote
    Steven wrote

Ta-Ta-Ri-Gami. I just... really don't like it.

The rest I absolutely adore. Brilliant music!

omg That's my favorite! It's one of the best pieces from him, or from anyone shocked
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp