• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Ghost Writer - Guess who...

I just finished the movie...Desplat really wrote a funky main theme. I've never heard so many woodwinds doing such inventive playing.

One of the best scores of the year and a really, really good film, too!

-Erik-

I agree. 'The Truth About Ruth' is perfect in the film. One of the best scored sequences I've watched in a while.

Right. As good as the movie was as a whole, those last 10 minutes were just perfect, and Desplat's score was a major contributor to that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm glad someone enjoyed it. IMHO, it's amateur hour straight through with one okayish theme. When you put Edelman's music beside what came before it (The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, The Scorpion King) there in no doubt, at least in my mind, that Edelman wasn't up for the challenge. Debney was brought in to add some meat to the bare bones of Edelman's score.

-Erik-

Thanks Erik. Yes, I definitely agree that the score is very simplistic, compared to the others. But perhaps it's a bit unfair to compare it with the previous masterpieces, simply because it's part of a film series. This movie was 6 years after "The scorpion king" after all, so entirely new approaches is perhaps to be expected.

Personally I judge it entirely on its own merits. I loved the first two mummies, but I don't think about them when I listen to this, so the experience isn't coloured by any comparison or feeling of disappointment. Also, I don't think simplistic is necessarily a bad thing. Some times it makes it easier to digest a score, and it can still have a great emotional effect and be cool and fun and catchy.

I found the main theme generic at first..... well, I still find it generic. But somehow it has really grown on me. The asiany yearning theme is simplistic, but filled with emotion and athmosphere. The theme heard in the song at the end, is great as well. I also enjoy the pseudo-Powell cue "Formation of the Terra Cotta army". While it's below Powell's standard, I still think it's very cool and entertaining.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't own Edelman's score, I have Debney's promo but I can't say I didn't like Edelman's theme as heard in the film. 'Course it's not up to the standards of the previous scores, especially in terms of its orchestration, but it's still a pleasingly rousing melody.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. "*Batteries Not Included"

Gave up on the score. Only bits I liked, were the ones that were not originally by him.

Next up on the platter -- a "second chance" spin for select tracks from "Hook", which failed to get me the first time around.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - John Debney

Solid additional score for such a short amount of time to write. But then again a fart would have sounded better than Edelman's weak effort.

-Erik-

Did this ever come out in better quality than 192?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I didn't think so.
    But, considering that Erik enjoyed it............... maybe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010 edited
    NP: Let Me In - Michael Giacchino

This album is way too long.... I'm only 11 tracks into an 80 minute album and I'm already utterly bored by this. The Lost sound is back and seems to be creeping into almost everything Giacchino writes these days. If this is his "voice" I don't like it one bit. These soft piano twinkles with airy strings and cello soli are starting to truly annoy me. I'm now switching over to the Giacchino I fell in love with... SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY!!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I thought you liked Up, which I seem to have warmed up to, despite its rather curious popularity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Piranha 3D - Michael Wandmacher
    Don't quite see what anyone sees in this score. I might like it if the orchestra sounded more natural and less like it was "overproduced by Hans Zimmer." But as is, I'm just hearing a rather grating wall of noise that's no more attractive than Tyler's AvP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I thought you liked Up, which I seem to have warmed up to, despite its rather curious popularity.

I liked UP very much... but I LOVE Secret Weapons Over Normandy!

EDIT - I loooooooooooooooooooove the bad guy motif in this score!!!!!! Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah-Dee-Dup-Daaaaa!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Don't quite see what anyone sees in this score. I might like it if the orchestra sounded more natural and less like it was "overproduced by Hans Zimmer." But as is, I'm just hearing a rather grating wall of noise that's no more attractive than Tyler's AvP.

Bingo!

-Erik-
  4. On Dangerous Ground - Bernard Herrmann

This score has established Herrmann as perhaps my favorite composer from the Golden Age. I love the Hunt music, and it has one of the best opening credits themes I've heard.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

The Lost sound is back and seems to be creeping into almost everything Giacchino writes these days. If this is his "voice" I don't like it one bit. These soft piano twinkles with airy strings and cello soli are starting to truly annoy me.

-Erik-

Even though LOST is my favourite of his by far, hearing it in most of his recent film work is rather annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
    Scribe wrote

Who sees anything in this score? Everyone i know described it as 'crap'. I haven't heard it yet...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The Lost sound is back and seems to be creeping into almost everything Giacchino writes these days. If this is his "voice" I don't like it one bit. These soft piano twinkles with airy strings and cello soli are starting to truly annoy me.

-Erik-

Even though LOST is my favourite of his by far, hearing it in most of his recent film work is rather annoying.

I love Lost, but LET ME IN is plain boring, it's got nothing of the Lost's themes or anything of that passion, is simply wallpaper sounds, boring, long, slow stuff with not a single motif in it, at least not memorable. In "EARTH DAYS" he tried the dramatic material from Lost, extended it and took out the emotion into a score that resulted, a very uninspired one; same with LET ME IN, he took the creepy stuff from LOst and did the same to them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote

This album is way too long.... I'm only 11 tracks into an 80 minute album and I'm already utterly bored by this. The Lost sound is back and seems to be creeping into almost everything Giacchino writes these days. If this is his "voice" I don't like it one bit. These soft piano twinkles with airy strings and cello soli are starting to truly annoy me. I'm now switching over to the Giacchino I fell in love with... SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY!!!!

-Erik-

You totally nailed my thoughts exactly Erik!
    SECRET WEAPONS and MOH are the Giacchino's I love to visit!
    Let Me In is OK but very Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz inducing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    On Dangerous Ground - Bernard Herrmann

This score has established Herrmann as perhaps my favorite composer from the Golden Age. I love the Hunt music, and it has one of the best opening credits themes I've heard.

Have you heard Charles Gerhardts version? It SERIOUSLY kicks arse!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

That was the version I heard. Beautifully chaotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall thought Piranha 3D was good, wrote a favorable review, and at least one other person seconded it. So I thought I'd give it a try.

I didn't mind Earth Days, there's some nice chill-out background music there, so I'll get Let Me In and I'm sure I'll enjoy it a little as long as I don't try to associate it with the original score :P
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

BTW, I have Erik to thank for hearing this version in the first place. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Erik is Gerhardt's biggest flag waver cool

NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - James Horner

Utterly brilliant and one of my all time favourite scores punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

punk beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE TRAIN - Philippe Sarde

Another one of my all time favourite film scores.......all 18 minutes of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Did anyone else who has this CD noticed the similarity of Front Street to the precar chase music in Bullitt?

Just got the CD in and will have a listen.

Am I right in thinking Bullit came first?

By a year: it was released in 68, while Hawaii Five-O debuted in 69.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hence the influence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...except I was not entirely correct: the original album was released in 1969, but the show initiated in September 1968.
    Interestingly Bullitt was released in October 1968, so formally Hawaii Five-O preceded it.

However, as this was very much the time of cool jazz / funk soundtracks, for myself I am happy to chalk any similarities in sound up to the "Zeitgeist".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THUNDERBIRDS - Barry Gray

Some of the very best TV scoring ever, full of melody and one of the greatest marches ever written, possibly matched only by some of Williams great marches, the Thunderbirds theme is one of the greatest ever written.

What Barry Gray could achieve with a small orchestra was nothing short of genius.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Big City - Erwan Kermorvant

Now this is recorded by somebody who knows what they're doing! If only everything sounded this good.
  7. A Single Man - Abel Korzeniowski

As much as I love Avatar, I think A Single Man might have the best score of 2009. It has so much of what I love in film music...an unabashed, almost tragic romanticism highlighted in "And Just Like That" and "Stillness of the Mind". Shigeru Umebayashi's input is great, too.
  8. Coco Avant Chanel - Alexandre Desplat

I've now listened to enough of Desplat to say that this is pretty typical fare from him...and that's not at all a bad thing. biggrin