• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    Hehe, no really though; it's mindblowing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    's Okay.
    For Glass.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Finally found my boot of "Uncommon Valor", as the Intrada samples weren't enough to make a decision on. Passed of giving "Hook" a second chance, as I just haven't been in a williams mood in a long while now.

Listened to the whole thing.

As a whole, I find this not a bad horner score, but certainly weaker than his better efforts (examples: "The Journey of Natty Gann", "Something Wicked This Way Comes", "A Few Days At Weasel Creek"), but certainly has it's shinning moments (though sadly I can't think of any cue from it that was strong from beginning to end).

I certainly liked hearing his rip on his Klingon music from Trek III; I always loved that stuff, and hearing more scoring in that veing was a treat.

In the end, it's just not enough to make a purchase on -- for me personally. But I think that's for the best, for if I don't enjoy it enough, then I should leave that copy to somebody who is clammoring for it.

The dreaded third spin of "Alien: Resurrectrion" (Frizzell) will be next. when I first got it, maybe about ten years ago, I put it right back in the CD casing and easily skipped it for years. Then I decided to listen to it to check for errors (which there were). Just hearing one CD of this, was a terrible, life wasting experience as I recall, but I don't want to just trash it, thinking maybe ... just maybe there are enough "good" bits to rip and edit into a suite, THEN trash the fucker.

Not sure what will get a "second spin" after that while I wait for my FSM order to come in (ST:TNG, "CHiPs" V3).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010 edited
    NP: Cloud Upon A Slope - Joe Hisaishi

I felt like hearing some Hisaishi today so I played this.

In a word "STUNNING"!!! cool

One of his very best!

Why did it take so long for me to get to this beautiful score?!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UN HOMME ET UNE FEMME - Francis Lai

Does it get more French than this? cheesy cool

Very 'Bossa Nova-ish' but with a french slant and a theme that would become popular and synonimous with elevators the world over.

Love it!

...and thanks, you know who you are beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : UN HOMME ET UNE FEMME - Francis Lai

Does it get more French than this? cheesy cool

Very 'Bossa Nova-ish' but with a french slant and a theme that would become popular and synonimous with elevators the world over.

Love it!

...and thanks, you know who you are beer

I really enjoyed playing this.

Now then, aside from the main title theme that at one time was famous the world over, there is a secondary theme, Aujourd Hui C'est Toi which has been familiar to British TV viewers for a long long time as the theme to PANORAMA, a heavyweight world and current affairs program.

Aujourd Hui C'est Toi ( Today It's You ) is the only piece on the album that's more "real" film music, here's the piece from the film soundtrack...

TODAY IT'S YOU

Here's, probably, the most popular adaptation...

PANORAMA

And finally here's a short...

HISTORY

of the themes development including music clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010
    justin boggan wrote

The dreaded third spin of "Alien: Resurrectrion" (Frizzell) will be next. when I first got it, maybe about ten years ago, I put it right back in the CD casing and easily skipped it for years. Then I decided to listen to it to check for errors (which there were). Just hearing one CD of this, was a terrible, life wasting experience as I recall, but I don't want to just trash it, thinking maybe ... just maybe there are enough "good" bits to rip and edit into a suite, THEN trash the fucker.

Wow! You were quick to trash the Bronislau Kaper/Mutiny on the Bounty but are holding onto Frizell/Alien Resurrection?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Now then, aside from the main title theme that at one time was famous the world over, there is a secondary theme, Aujourd Hui C'est Toi which has been familiar to British TV viewers for a long long time as the theme to PANORAMA, a heavyweight world and current affairs program.

Interesting! I didn't know that.
    Thanks for the info and the clips. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Wow! You were quick to trash the Bronislau Kaper/Mutiny on the Bounty but are holding onto Frizell/Alien Resurrection?

One, I said I wasn't going to trash ones I thought would sell, the Kaper being one, and two: the boots are seperate; I held onto them for trading purposes. It's a different thing. And now that's it's legally out, time to find a good ol' trash bin. Maybe play fribee with it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Legend of the Guardians - David Hirschfelder
    Some nice music, but alas.

Sound Quality Fail.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

FACT!

Don't you mean FACT ?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote

Sound Quality Fail.

Waah? It's a great recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote

Sound Quality Fail.

It might be a great original recording, but great album mixes do not need to get ReplayGained to -7.66dB.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved the recording too.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote

Sound Quality Fail.

It might be a great original recording, but great album mixes do not need to get ReplayGained to -7.66dB.

Just what I was going to say...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And what's the ideal db level at the master's channel for you?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

You're welcome beer

Alan or James wave

Were you familiar with this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I can't speak as to what was actually done in the master, as I am not qualified in that field. I only know what does and doesn't sound good to me. And there's clearly a correlation between the sound quality and the amount of throttling that the ReplayGain algorithm deems necessary to level an album's average volume. This is not necessarily a direct cause-and-effect relationship, but probably indirectly caused by the fact that overly loud albums are more likely to have had heavier compression done to them, and heavy compression of course leads to an unnatural sound and increases the likelihood of unpleasant artifacts such as the clipping I heard in the first few tracks of Guardians.

For an example of the relationship of album volume to sound quality: compare one of my favorite John Powell mixes, I Am Sam, to one of my least favorite ones, How To Train Your Dragon.

I Am Sam has a ReplayGain value of -3.01db with a peak of 0.975454
    How to Train Your Dragon has a ReplayGain value of -8.03db with a peak of 1.055407.

Thus it seems likely, on a strictly statistical basis, for How To Train Your Dragon to have been a victim of what I have seen described as "hot mastering." And this statistical probability is confirmed by the fact that I and others complained about the sound quality of the album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HIMALAYA - Bruno Coulais

What a fabulous score cool

The CDR has just become a coffee coaster wink

oh, and thank you Martijn for the pointer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Welcome. beer
  3. Michael Kamen - Band of Brothers

Both this score and its series are masterpieces. Honorable Americana, restrained classicism, character development.

While The Pacific (which I listen to alternately with Band of Brothers) is a worse score, I think it's getting a bit unfair bashing due to not being Kamen's level. Well, Kamen's masterpiece is nowhere to reach for Geoff Zanelli and Blake Neely, though we must not forget. Neely *co-orchestrated* on Band of Brothers.

There come the amazing series and again, somewhat worse Pacific. Pacific had one issue which is basically the general idea, alas. Telling three different (completely different) stories in a coherent series is hard and the writers didn't quite handle it. Even if Band of Brothers has a central character (Doc Roe in Bastogne, Winters in many, Pvt. Webster in The Last Patrol, Nixon in Why We Fight? or Sgt. Lipton in The Breaking Point) it still has a company (Easy Company of 506th Regiment of 101st Airborne Division) as a center of the series. This means that central characters offer a perspective (personal one and Band of Brothers manages to keep it for the whole running time, even if the action scenes are more "general") on the events (doing Battle of the Bulge through a medic's perspective? Brilliant) and the company, The Pacific defines characters through their colleagues (rather colleagues through the character and the other way around at the same time, no it's not a vicious circle). The Pacific through intercutting between America and the line in, say, Peleliu becomes all over the place and thus may lose dramatism once in a while.

Kamen did a restrained dignified Americana war score, an even more chamber Saving Private Ryan and is actually used better in the series than Williams's score. Zanelli and Neely (Zimmer did only a theme) pulled off an Americana version of The Thin Red Line - also restrained and dignified. The musical worlds are different and interestingly they decided *not* to include ethnic instruments in the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

One of those scores I didn't like on first listening but have grown to absolutely love it, more of this for fantasy film scoring please and less of the generic nonsense we've been force fed by MV/RC composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

One of those scores I didn't like on first listening but have grown to absolutely love it, more of this for fantasy film scoring please and less of the generic nonsense we've been force fed by MV/RC composers.

Agreed.
    Imagine if Desplat had scored Clash of the Titans....
  4. Scribe wrote
    I can't speak as to what was actually done in the master, as I am not qualified in that field. I only know what does and doesn't sound good to me.

I'd be interested to see what sort of response this post gets. You might find it's the sort of thing that goes down very well at the FSM message board though. There's a few audiophiles lying in lurk there. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Imagine if "David Shire or Elliot Goldenthal scored "Clash of the Titans"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

You're welcome beer

Alan or James wave

Were you familiar with this?

I did know the Panorama theme was by Lai but I don't think I've ever actually heard it as originally done before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I can't speak as to what was actually done in the master, as I am not qualified in that field. I only know what does and doesn't sound good to me.

I'd be interested to see what sort of response this post gets. You might find it's the sort of thing that goes down very well at the FSM message board though. There's a few audiophiles lying in lurk there. wink

I thought people at FSM only liked hiss-laden mono recordings from the 50s.
  6. They also like people who call them 'people at FSM'. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

Don't expect any response from me.