• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I haven't heard any of the Battlestar Galactica music yet and I'm not in any hurry to, i've got too much to listen to.

Take 7 minutes and 51 seconds out of your life and listen to THIS!

-Erik-

Will do....am doing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I haven't heard any of the Battlestar Galactica music yet and I'm not in any hurry to, i've got too much to listen to.

-Erik-

Can't recommend this enough, as well; modern film / tv music rarely gets any better. It's stunning.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    "Stroming New Caprica" is the cue that introduced me to McCreary's BSG musical universe. I have Michael (franz conrad) to thank for that. Once the cue ended for the very first time I played it again and again and again. I became an instant fan!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lars wrote
    Battlestar Galactica: Season 1 - Bear McCreary

that's a fantastic score. i haven't seen the series yet, only the pilot, but the music is a good reason to start watching the show. the taiko drum parts are awesome and the celtic theme is also amazing. the music is really unusual for a tv show setting in space, but i think it works. i will listen to the other seasons over the weekend.

All of his BSG installments are spectacular, my favorite is the most dramatic, the 3rd series so far.

i'm really looking forward to the other seasons. what i also like about the score cds are the booklets. lots of information and fun to read.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Will do....am doing.

I liked it, I liked it a LOT!

A friend is loaning me the series, seems that's the best way to get into this, I really loved the few episodes I saw on TV ( something I didn't get into because of the way the lousy station kept re-scheduling the show ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Can't recommend this enough, as well; modern film / tv music rarely gets any better. It's stunning.

Er...bagpipes? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, percussion !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Er...bagpipes? uhm

The perfect instrument choice for the Adama and his son!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. The Fantastic Mr. Fox - Desplat

Great to hear Desplat finally branching out, as much as I love his waltzes. I was worried this would be too cutesy, but I actually find it pretty delightful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Fantastic Mr. Fox - Desplat

Great to hear Desplat finally branching out, as much as I love his waltzes. I was worried this would be too cutesy, but I actually find it pretty delightful.

Yes, this was one of the biggest surprises of my entire music purchasing history. I was hoping to find it merely not-too-obnoxious, but instead it's one of my favorite scores of 2009, I absolutely love it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Scribe wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Fantastic Mr. Fox - Desplat

Yes, this was one of the biggest surprises of my entire music purchasing history. I was hoping to find it merely not-too-obnoxious, but instead it's one of my favorite scores of 2009, I absolutely love it.

Well, I just finished it (it's barely 20 minutes long...). I've never been a fan of singing in scores, but I love the children's chorus in the second half. It reminds me, interestingly enough, of the cue "Double Trouble" from The Prisoner of Azkaban.

I think I'd like Desplat to do more music like this. I wonder how a Desplat score for a Pixar film would sound. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    There's an extra 40 minutes in the "Abbey Road Mixes" release on iTunes.
  3. Back to Coco Avant Chanel...not one of his more famous scores, but it's no less lovely.
  4. Timmer wrote

I'll throw my vote behind it. It's good stuff. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Back to Coco Avant Chanel...not one of his more famous scores, but it's no less lovely.

I think it's one of his best!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Will do....am doing.

A friend is loaning me the series, seems that's the best way to get into this, I really loved the few episodes I saw on TV ( something I didn't get into because of the way the lousy station kept re-scheduling the show ).

Oh, it's a fantastic show once you enter it Timmer! Brilliant acting, top notch effects and a fabulous score by McCreary! It was a great ride over those five exciting years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just don't expect too much of the ending, and you should be fine.
    Superior TV programming, assuredly!

And McReary is my favourite TV composer these days. I enjoy most everything he does.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, right, NP: The Lost Man - Quincy Jones & songs

No idea what the film is about, but the score is one funky soul delight!
    There's a great groove motif running through the score tracks, culminating in the superfunky swinging Main Squeeze track.
    I generally dislike songs on a soundtrack album, but I find very little problem here, if only because it's all of the same sultry black funk cut. Highly enjoyable!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    All of his BSG installments are spectacular, my favorite is the most dramatic, the 3rd series so far.

Yup!

Got back from getting some lunch and continued with Djawadi's Medal of Honor. Thank goodness I didn't give up on this one because there is a wonderful - albeit simplistic - string theme heard in the track "Heroes Abroad" that I hope it pops up again...

-Erik-

It's actually in the first track too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, the rest of it was rather uninteresting.

-Erik-
  6. I think it's Djawadi's best work to date, High Ground, Summit and Wiyar are other highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Still not my cup of tea after repeated listening ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Will do....am doing.

Oh, it's a fantastic show once you enter it Timmer! Brilliant acting, top notch effects and a fabulous score by McCreary! It was a great ride over those five exciting years!

I look forward to seeing it.
  7. I keep looking to see whether I should buy the complete Battlestar Galactica on DVD. Maybe an ideal request for Christmas?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I keep looking to see whether I should buy the complete Battlestar Galactica on DVD. Maybe an ideal request for Christmas?

Don't bother unless you enjoy dark, cynical storytelling. I watched the first season and I'm still rather iffy on whether I actually enjoyed it. It's very well written but it left me feeling oppressed. When I was younger I would have enjoyed the heck out of it, but now I kind of like my entertainment to be at least slightly uplifting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think it's Djawadi's best work to date, High Ground, Summit and Wiyar are other highlights.

That's not saying much. This is below average material but I can see why the producers of the game went in this direction. But the score really has nothing to say, it sounds just like any other ordinary, mind-numbing, color by numbers MV/RC score. sleep

-Erik-
  8. Well, what sound do you imagine for a modern warfare game? Basically a technothriller and not a historical one? Asking seriously.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

I have no intention of ever watching the film ( I've heard it's dreadful ), I just want to enjoy this fantastic score and never have it tainted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, what sound do you imagine for a modern warfare game? Basically a technothriller and not a historical one? Asking seriously.

Read my post again... I said "I can see why the producers of the game went in this direction." That doesn't mean I have to like it. I gave it a good listen and the music is average at best... and that's being nice. You could transplant this score into any number of generic action pictures. This sort of film (game) music is getting dull and dreadfully boring FAST!

-Erik-
  9. Yes, this *is* a fact, but if there is a place where I would accept the sound with no issue today it's this particular genre of computer games. This is Media Ventures and Remote Control returning to their very roots.

To compare, I would use Sean Murray's score to Call of Duty: World at War (the immediate precedessor to Zimmer/Balfe's score). Murray has some nice/cool themes, especially the Russian anthem, which is a darker twist on the typical Russian cliche. Darker is the key word to the game. It aims at the biggest possible realism. Playing Russians and Americans on the Pacific (*not* a popular theater in gaming and sadly movies), you see that the authors pulled no stops. Dismemberment, using flamethrowers (one mission features the player with a flamethrower and his job is to clear three mortar pits). To this a huge sense of disillusionement (word?). The briefing monologue by nobody else than Kiefer Sutherland as Sgt. Roebuck (in fact, I thought I was in a 24 world for a while, because one of the token screams of Sutherland's is the legendary "dammit!") is rather hopeless ("We're gonna get dirty. Flamethrowers. We'll burn them out"). To that (in the American side of things) add banzai charges (you have to stab them before they stab you) and things like that. Russian missions have Gary Oldman as your leader and feature an order to execute the wounded in Berlin.

What Murray does with that? The score has good and bad sides. Good side is that he uses a nice batch of atonality, if I had to compare to any game scores I know, I would say that it's a restrained companion to the first (Giacchino, that is) score to Call of Duty. Violent, atonal, bleak. On the other hand sometimes he does something annoying and anachronistic by including a *techno beat* in some missions, mostly when you are on a vehicle. That's where the score starts being annoying.

On the other hand... We have the type of game dealing with modern tactics, warfare. Why do I recommend the sound of Remote Control there? And why is it so good for THIS kind of games (and nowhere else?). Look at Zimmer's output in mid-90s when his popularity skyrocketed. Aside from the 1994 Oscar for an animation, his major output were: a submarine thriller (Crimson Tide), two nuclear theft actioners (Broken Arrow and The Peacemaker) and an action movie about biological warfare taken over by rogue Marines (The Rock). Modern tactical games resort to that kind of world and that's the only place where this particular style belongs. And I'd dare to say, musically Ramin Djawadi did this the best.