• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Some of the music -- especially the percussion -- is sounding like a precursor to what he'd use for Avatar 10 years later. Go figure...
  2. Yeah, this came up when Avatar came out. Although some said it wasn't an exact ripoff of Mighty Joe, so it didn't count. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. I swear I heard a little Braveheart in "The Burning Ferris Wheel", and the main theme sounds like The Spitfire Grill...That's all the self-referencing I can pinpoint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    "The Burning Ferris Wheel" has a couple of direct rips from Legends Of The Fall's "To The Boys" track if I recall.
  4. The final cue "Dedication and Windsong" feels very familiar compared to other end credits pieces that Horner has done, but it's still a lovely end to what's yet another solid, underrated effort from the man. Bravo!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen the film. I'm glad to hear that the director wasn't happy with the decision, unfortunately the producers are the guys with the big bucks unless you're a Spielberg or a Cameron and have far more clout.

I interviewed Chris Young and asked about it and he said he watched the film and didn't understand why they didn't like Barry's score and it was actually him that persuaded them to keep half of it in there, and for the other half he wrote pieces which were very similar to what Barry had written since he didn't see any point doing anything very different. Very odd situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Mighty Joe Young - James Horner

I'm only 3 tracks into this, but this is turning out to be pretty entertaining so far. It dispels my perception that Horner ran out of ideas after Titanic...

The main theme from this score is simply gorgeous.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen the film. I'm glad to hear that the director wasn't happy with the decision, unfortunately the producers are the guys with the big bucks unless you're a Spielberg or a Cameron and have far more clout.

I interviewed Chris Young and asked about it and he said he watched the film and didn't understand why they didn't like Barry's score and it was actually him that persuaded them to keep half of it in there, and for the other half he wrote pieces which were very similar to what Barry had written since he didn't see any point doing anything very different. Very odd situation.

Very odd indeed? Thanks for the info James.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE CONCERT - John Barry

Superb Universal France release of Barry's 1972 concert album recorded shortly after his Filmharmonic appearance at the RAH with Miklos Rozsa ( man, what I wouldn't give to have been at that event ), it includes an 18 minute suite of his James Bond themes, starting with Goildfinger and incorporating the James Bond Theme and his own '007' and culminating with Diamonds Are Forever, other stand out tracks include Born Free and Midbnight Cowboy.

The remastered sound is excellent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    It dispels my perception that Horner ran out of ideas after Titanic

uhm

The Mask of Zorro, The Perfect Storm, Iris, The Four Feathers, Radio, The Chumscrubber, The New World, All the King's Men, The Karate Kid. James Horner is still kicking-ass even though he writes some turkeys now and then.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Scintillating! One of the finest fantasy/adventure scores I've heard in a while! Brilliant themes, lots of heart (Forbidden Friendship is a heartbreaker) and exciting action materiel. Powell proves yet again why he is currently one of the best of the best! This, as of right now, is the best score of the year! The movie is also brilliant! It brought out the kid in me! I can't wait to see it again!

-Erik-

PS - The recording still blows! A little tweak of the EQ's helps but it still is surprisingly bad!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote

100% agree! beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

100% agree! beer

What? That Erik's playing it!?
  5. Into "Where Silence Has Lease", a secondary favorite of mine, on the Jones box.

The orchestration have changed, gotten better. As I recall, they suddenly got better in "The Neutral Zone", and have stayed that way since.

I swear I heard McCarthy's TNG fanfare theme in one of Jones' cues. I forget which.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Great score, Timmer! GREAT. SCORE.

Moving on to...

NP: Kung Fu Panda - John Powell / Hans Zimmer

From one excellent animated score to another. Oogway Ascends is simple gorgeous!

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    It dispels my perception that Horner ran out of ideas after Titanic

uhm

The Mask of Zorro, The Perfect Storm, Iris, The Four Feathers, Radio, The Chumscrubber, The New World, All the King's Men, The Karate Kid. James Horner is still kicking-ass even though he writes some turkeys now and then.

-Erik-

I should clarify. I meant to say that between 1997 (when he wrote Titanic) and 2001 (when he wrote A Beautiful Mind, my favorite Horner score ever), I always looked at that period as a "dry" period for Horner. Of course, listening to Mask of Zorro, Perfect Storm, Enemy at the Gates, and (as of last night) Mighty Joe Young has reassured me that Horner did NOT burn out after scoring the James Cameron epic. smile
  7. Erik Woods wrote

Moving on to...

From one excellent animated score to another. Oogway Ascends is simple gorgeous!

-Erik-

And that's Zimmer's theme.

People tend to say that this score is Powell exclusively, I disagree for musical reasons. The fact that Powell kind of supervised the project (his team orchestrated it and the mix is a combination of Alan Meyerson and... Shawn Murphy) wants to say otherwise, but the two main themes were done by Powell and Zimmer (which the producers even distinguished), Tai Lung Escapes is *definitely* Zimmer's work and I think he had quite a bit to do with the choral writing there. I would say that it was a section distinction - Zimmer did most of the string writing, Powell half of the brass and all woodwinds, so I think the combination of the two composers is very balanced here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Moving on to...

-Erik-

Really? Maybe the tune but there is no friggin' way he made it come to life. Even "Tai Lung Escapes" feels more like Powell then Zimmer. I'd say Powell's influence on Kung Fu Panda is more prominant than Zimmer's.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote

Scintillating! One of the finest fantasy/adventure scores I've heard in a while! Brilliant themes, lots of heart (Forbidden Friendship is a heartbreaker) and exciting action materiel. Powell proves yet again why he is currently one of the best of the best! This, as of right now, is the best score of the year! The movie is also brilliant! It brought out the kid in me! I can't wait to see it again!

-Erik-

PS - The recording still blows! A little tweak of the EQ's helps but it still is surprisingly bad!

Woah, exclamation mark parade! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010 edited
    It's that good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Erik- !
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : POLTERGEIST - Jerry Goldsmith

I fancied some late night scary shit and that's what I got, fantabulous score! cool
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Moving on to...

-Erik-

Really? Maybe the tune but there is no friggin' way he made it come to life. Even "Tai Lung Escapes" feels more like Powell then Zimmer. I'd say Powell's influence on Kung Fu Panda is more prominant than Zimmer's.

-Erik-

Oogway Ascends is Zimmer, Panda Po is Powell's theme.

I am pretty sure Oogway was arranged by Hans, the strings are his. As I said - Powell's team orchestrated the whole score, so bear that in mind.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : POLTERGEIST - Jerry Goldsmith

I fancied some late night scary shit and that's what I got, fantabulous score! cool

NP : THE FURY - John Williams

Let the scare fest continue cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Both great scores! cool

But the greatest is Poltergeist in my book!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Goldsmith

Unlike the main title to Star Wars, I never tire of Goldsmith's glorious theme. Especially as heard in "The Enterprise".

Don't get me wrong though. I love Williams Star Wars scores! It's The Force theme I never tire of there.
    And The Empire Strikes Back is level pegging with my other top handful of favorite scores (which includes ST:TMP).

On that note, my nieces are loving William's Star Wars scores now too! They always ask me to play it when they visit! First it was Superman, now this. They have great musical taste! And I'm not half proud! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

PS: MoviemusicUK and Movie Wave new site designs sucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    How To Train Your Dragon is brilliant!

Though I haven't write anything about it on this board (I'm busy lately!), since I got the album I've been playing it a lot, almost everyday biggrin

But am I only one who prefer BOLT to Dragon?
    I rank it a little higher because of the variations of the themes.
    (I especially love the emotional rendition of Mittens theme on Las Vegas)

NP: The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

First listen on album, but I already knew how cool it is when I saw the movie(s) some years ago. cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Both great scores! cool

But the greatest is Poltergeist in my book!

I never thought about it like that? Both are absolutely top notch scores in my book and both are too different for me to compare, I love them equally......hows that for a cop out. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Extra Man - Klaus Badelt

Way too many short tracks, but there's some nice relaxing cheerful music in there. Demetris would probably hate it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

PS: MoviemusicUK and Movie Wave new site designs sucks.

Get that pickle out of your ass, Jordi! My goodness you're a grump.

-Erik-