• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Baxter Baxter Baxter

Barry Barry Barry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Gorgeous album, mellow, laid back jazz, perfect late night listening. cool

Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Baxter Baxter Baxter

Barry Barry Barry

Judy Judy Judy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love it.

Pretty amazing, but to be quite honest I wonder also how do the Christopher Young pieces sound.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Zimmer's creatively empty sounds.
    -Erik-

Empty your brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Zimmer's creatively empty sounds.
    -Erik-

Empty your brain.

You've been gone so long and this is all you have to say for yourself?? biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure he has a special software that automatically brings up only everything zimmer related on every film score board. biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010 edited
    Let's try it out... ZIMMER BLOWS GOATS!

:waits:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He won't understand that my friend; say something simpler wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Let's try it out... ZIMMER BLOWS GOATS!

:waits:

-Erik-

Mail Server Error message : unknown command
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  2. Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Been getting into FSM's "Star Trek: The Next Generation" box; make it to CD4, at "Skin of Evil".

Making notes of the best cues, will then eventually rip those and put them in a listening order.

Surprised at how, so far, a lot of the scoring sounds the same early on (I know he changed later on). Same ideas, motif styles, echoing shakers and what not. And some rather weak orchestration early on. And no one feed me the line of a small orchestra -- I've watched plenty of TV from the original Twilight Zone's to the last season of "Dexter" -- I know a composer can accomplish a lot with a small orchestra.

I really wish he had used real instruments sometimes, instead of the synth he would switch out (for french horn or what have you); it was a little too cheesy sometimes.

Anyway, that all aside, I enjoy his rythmic devices and the repeating ostinatos. That repeating ostinato when Lore has poisoned Data's biochemical insides, from "Datalore" -- love it; the repeating ostinato when the children are being kidnapped by way of beaming, off the Enterprise unexpectedly (I forget the episode name) -- love it.

I even love the cheesy, yet surprisingly effective synth female blurts in "Skin of Evil".

I'm thinking probably a three of four CD compilation when done.

I still don't understand why "The Best of Both Worlds" was left off; yes, I know it was some kind of problem with GNP holding the rights, but ... they also released most of the score to "Heart of Glory" themselves, and FSM included every note GNP released, so ... what's up with that? Why would the rights be any different to one episode score and another?

I'd check out the thread at FSM about illegal downloads, Lukas is even threatening to quit.

I'd link it but I can't get FSM access at the moment? confused

Why is this aimed at me? I bought mine cash, from SAE. I never download CDs you can buy.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010 edited
    Justin,

Sorry if it came across to you that way, It wasn't aimed at you and I had no intention of maligning your character and am well aware that you purchased it. ( you'd mentioned many times how you were saving your pennies for it )

I had also meant to link the post but FSM seemed to have gone into meltdown at that time, looking back I should have started a new post rather than use yours to post from.

Again, sorry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Baxter Baxter Baxter

Barry Barry Barry

Judy Judy Judy

Martijn Martijn Martijn rolleyes
  3. All is forgiven. Ol' Timmer tongue

I've actually forgotten now (I'd have to spend a couple hours scouring my posts) which I was saving up for: The Jones box of the X-Files box (the "X Box"); both were leaked early. I started saving for one, but I forget which. FSM just happened to announce first.

Still going through the thing; the epsiode score "We'll Always Have Paris" has been the biggest let down so far. I'm just not enjoying this score at all (aside from a soothing according piece harking to France).

Some people at FSM are saying a disc (I think CD 12) is skipping in some tracks; I have not checked mine yet, but I thought I should warn you all. Seen no post by Lukas on replacement discs yet, be he is busy DESTROYING THE SHIT out of those bastards right now that run that dumbass site.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love it.

Pretty amazing, but to be quite honest I wonder also how do the Christopher Young pieces sound.

No idea? Was anything recorded?
  4. The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

Pretty cool, but for some reason it's not as distinctive as his other Shyamalan works...like Unbreakable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love it.

Yes - they're in the film! Quite a lot of it (if I remember correctly) uses Barry's themes. It's a bit odd really, it's not radically different from Barry's own scoring. Anyway, it's one of my very favourite Barry albums and the finale of that film showed that when he nailed it, boy did he nail it - few film composers could muster the emotional weight he lent to what is, in truth, a very slight film.
  5. NP: selections from Armand Amar albums (Le Premier Cri, Marco Polo, Inanna, Home, La Terre vue du Ciel)

I'm a bit of a sucker for his pop-Philip-Glass-meets-world-music sound.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    I'm in the middle of digesting Home and I quite like it smile
  6. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love it.

Yes - they're in the film! Quite a lot of it (if I remember correctly) uses Barry's themes. It's a bit odd really, it's not radically different from Barry's own scoring. Anyway, it's one of my very favourite Barry albums and the finale of that film showed that when he nailed it, boy did he nail it - few film composers could muster the emotional weight he lent to what is, in truth, a very slight film.

To the director's chagrin, the producers rejected over half of Barry's score and Young rescored those moments. I don't know if Young's contribution is even credited in the movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: selections from Armand Amar albums (Le Premier Cri, Marco Polo, Inanna, Home, La Terre vue du Ciel)

I'm a bit of a sucker for his pop-Philip-Glass-meets-world-music sound.

He's quite successful at that, very unique sound. Together with Bruno Coulais, i find him one of the most interesting composers out there today (after i got over the initial dissapointment where every post 2005 armand amar work sounded like Glass to me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I'm in the middle of digesting Home and I quite like it smile

Have you seen the docu? It's nothing short but brilliant and breathtaking, can't recommend it more. The music works wonders in it, Coulais crafted a very fitting score in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    No, but I will check it out!
    (and, you mean Amar, right?)
  7. Ah, HOME was Armand Amar. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Yeap! (blame the booze and the fact that i was talking about Coulais one post befre) wink The music is stunning, especially during the opening sequence. The docu is very thoughtful as well, makes you wonder about things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To the director's chagrin, the producers rejected over half of Barry's score and Young rescored those moments. I don't know if Young's contribution is even credited in the movie.

Each of his tracks is individually credited in the end titles along with the songs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Love it.

I haven't seen the film. I'm glad to hear that the director wasn't happy with the decision, unfortunately the producers are the guys with the big bucks unless you're a Spielberg or a Cameron and have far more clout.
  8. Mighty Joe Young - James Horner

I'm only 3 tracks into this, but this is turning out to be pretty entertaining so far. It dispels my perception that Horner ran out of ideas after Titanic...