• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    NP : SHAKEN & STIRRED : THE DAVID ARNOLD JAMES BOND PROJECT

The album that got him the Bond scoring gig, a mixed bag but with mostly possitive results, particularly a thumping version of John Barry's On Her Majesty's Secret Service by The Propellerheads, a very chilled out version of the Space March by Leftfield and an incredibly OTT version of Diamonds Are Forever by David McAlmont.

A shame that Bjork's version of You Only Live Twice isn't included, it's beautiful ( though I do have exactly the same Dodd's arrangement sung by some-time Arnold collaborator Natacha Atlas which is even better than the Bjork version ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: MIAMI VICE (Tim Truman)

It's an outrage that Truman's music for the fifth season is unreleased. Some fantastic music that rivals that of Hammer, IMO. Check out this, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjGwhHFNow

Sadly, there was an update in the FSM thread on this. The release Truman said two or three years ago was in the works, has now been canned by the studio.

Way to go, studio.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think Vibes is one of the most unique and creative scores of Horner's career. It's a synthetic, atmospheric score that is incredibly relaxing, meditative and gentle. I lovely hidden gem that more people need to hear!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Cocoon - James Horner

I have a pile of at least 50 CDs waiting to be reviewed - it was 75 a few weeks ago, so I've been enjoying revisiting a few old favourites (until the dozen new CDs I've ordered over the last week or two arrive, anyway). I can't even remember the last time I heard this. It really is very good.

It's a superb score that's had countless plays even since I retired the LP for the CD.

How about VIBES? You don't say whether you liked it or not.

It was interesting to hear. "Like" would be stretching it though. Do you have it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No I don't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hide in Plain Sight - Leonard Rosenman

Exceptional score.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    The Human Experience - Thomas Bergersen

Fantastic score by Thomas. He has composed a wonderful main theme for the movie. The variations of the
    theme are fantastic and i also love the orchestration of the music. The tracks with the african style are also amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In the Valley of Elah - Mark Isham

Just the kind of music I love at the moment. Calm, contemplative, in its own way very beautiful. Thanks to Thor for reminding me of it.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I think Vibes is one of the most unique and creative scores of Horner's career. It's a synthetic, atmospheric score that is incredibly relaxing, meditative and gentle. I lovely hidden gem that more people need to hear!

-Erik-

As bigtime Horner fan I'm ashamed Vibes hasn't been on my radar yet. When I was younger I wasn't exactly taken by Horner's earlier synth scores. Maybe I'll just listen to that lovely hidden gem.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Lars wrote

Fantastic score by Thomas. He has composed a wonderful main theme for the movie. The variations of the
    theme are fantastic and i also love the orchestration of the music. The tracks with the african style are also amazing.

I saw this on Amazon earlier today and it lists only 6 of 44 tracks with Bergersen. Seems the rest is music from other composers, songs and clips from the film.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Experienc … p;sr=301-5
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Lars wrote

Are there really only the 6 tracks by him that Amazon lists?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011 edited
    NP: Quo Vadis - Miklos Rozsa

Dynamite score written a few years before Ben-Hur. Interesting to hear a couple of themes reused in Ben Hur!
    This is the rerecording conducted by the composer in the late 70s.
    Awesomeness! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    Atham wrote
    NP: Quo Vadis - Miklos Rozsa

Dynamite score written a few years before Ben-Hur. Interesting to hear a couple of themes reused in Ben Hur!
    This is the rerecording conducted by the composer in the late 70s.
    Awesomeness! cool

Indeed it is! punk
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Scribe wrote
    Lars wrote

yes only 6 tracks by thomas, but better than nothing.
  4. SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO - NAOKI SATO & YASUSHI MIYAGAWA

Now this sounds insanely good. Judging from the music, I can imagine having a great time with the film, as the music goes all out in a pure thematic way. Big memorable themes, powerful action and highly emotional melodies, but in a sufficiently western style, it come all the more as a surprise two Japanese guys came up with this score. After only one listen this is already totally my thing. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    DreamTheater wrote
    SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO - NAOKI SATO & YASUSHI MIYAGAWA

Now this sounds insanely good. Judging from the music, I can imagine having a great time with the film, as the music goes all out in a pure thematic way. Big memorable themes, powerful action and highly emotional melodies, but in a sufficiently western style, it come all the more as a surprise two Japanese guys came up with this score. After only one listen this is already totally my thing. punk

i'm not sure, but i think yasushi miyagawa composed only the original main theme/themes from the anime SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO. the score for this movie has naoki sato composed alone, but he used the original themes. the orchestration and the action bombast is "sato style". I can recommend the following soundtracks to you of naoki sato: THE SILVER SEASON (GINIRO NO SEASON), RYOMADEN, BALLAD and SWORD OF THE STRANGER. all these scores have amazing themes and a fantastic orchestration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    It's interesting how all the fun thematic film scoring style of Hollywood in the 80s that's so rare now lives on through Japanese scores (and other regions of the world). Space Battleship Yamato is another example.
  5. Exactly, Hollywood doesn't seem to prefer traditional powerhouse symphonic scores anymore, at least not of the kind I grew up with. Lucky for us, the world is a little bigger than Hollywood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like both a great deal, however I'm not sure the nonsense is as marked as you suggest. The last third of the film is pretty sugar sweet, despite the mortal overtones, and I can't believe Kubrick would have gone there, having read his outline for the film. (For example, one small change that makes all the difference: David makes not coffee for his mother, but fixes her favourite alcoholic drink, a bloody mary. The irony of a robot child mixing a cocktail for a grieving mother is so strong, but must have been a bit bitter for the Beard.) Still for all that, it is a film of richer concerns than the more popular film that followed, Minority Report.

The score is wonderful, one of Williams' latter-day best, both as composition and as a score. The John Adams, Richard Strauss and Philip Glass references in particular show Williams continues to mine the best of the concert sphere for new ideas, trying his own versions. I wouldn't mind if the -- frankly vomit-inducing duet Broadway ballad -- on the album, was replaced with more of the score's diverse range. (E.g. the theme which dominates the first third of the film isn't on the album.)

I see no point in making the story grittier than what it already is at core. I see nothing sugar sweet about it, in fact, but rather a restraint and "cool" detachment - almost clinical precision - to the very end. But at the same time it's very emotional. It's a particular combination there that Spielberg has managed in his more serious fare, like SCHINDLER and MUNICH.

I also love the song, with lyrics and especially without. Especially when it reaches that very low note....that gets to me every time.

The score, the film, the song, are one of the last top quality cinematic experiences i remember watching. Excellent in all aspects.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lars wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Lars wrote

Is he the two steps from hell guy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    In the Valley of Elah - Mark Isham

Just the kind of music I love at the moment. Calm, contemplative, in its own way very beautiful. Thanks to Thor for reminding me of it.

LIONS FOR LAMBS
    RESERVATION ROAD
    CRASH (the movie)

too. Some of the best outcome in this genre you'll ever get. In fact the last 4-5 years have been in these genres for ISham mostly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cutting down on your posting I see, D. wink
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lars wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Lars wrote

Is he the two steps from hell guy?

yes
  6. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA S2 - BEAR MCCREARY

So on to the second season, which is much improved from the repetitive nature of S1. There's huge variety here, almost like Bear was told by the producers: "do an absolute 180 of what you wrote for the previous season", and he delivered. The whole album flows much better as well, featuring some very cool tunes I can listen to again and again. I especially like the guitar cues such as 'Something Dark is Coming' and 'Gina Escapes'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri

Well whaddaya know, I just really fancied spinning it again cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SUM OF ALL FEARS - Jerry Goldsmith

One of his better later scores, a good score but the standout track has to be The Mission which is beautiful.
  7. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri

Well whaddaya know, I just really fancied spinning it again cool

All your spinning almost makes me want to watch the film ............ again. And I've only seen it for about 15 times already. smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Edge - Jerry Goldsmith

The LaLaLand album is probably 10-15 minutes too long in it's complete form (LaLaLand has been coming out with longer and longer albums lately, which is not that bad with some scores that have enough variety). But with something with The Edge, there's not enough variety, granted the big main theme is lovely each and every time (of the 500 times) it is played. Still it's good Goldsmith.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think La La Land's release of The Edge is superb as the complete presentation really opens the score up. It a wonderful listening experience of one of Goldsmith's last truly great scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. NP: Un Femme Francais (Patrick Doyle)

Here is a proposition that is unfortunately not possible to test empirically: If more Patrick Doyle scores made for such wonderful listening experiences, then I would listen to more Patrick Doyle scores.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am