• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Un Femme Francais (Patrick Doyle)

Here is a proposition that is unfortunately not possible to test empirically: If more Patrick Doyle scores made for such wonderful listening experiences, then I would listen to more Patrick Doyle scores.

I'm interested. I've never heard of this. Is it new? What's it like?
  2. 1993? So old. It's a dramatic score, with 2 themes in a set of arrangements for string and woodwinds mostly.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    UNDER FIRE - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Can you believe the man's brain cells working in perfect harmony back in 1983? It's not hard to tell actually, after the fifth track on the album you're pretty much convinced that Jerry's brain should have been cloned somehow, before it was too late. Sadly, cloning is illegal.

Under Fire is a brilliant work full of melody and masterful choice of instruments! love

My favourite Jerry. Brilliant, unique and extremely entertaining from beginning to end.

Makes me wonder whether the release has all the good stuff from the movie, or whether an expanded release would be warranted. Anyone knows whether we're missing any goodies?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP (or recently, rather): Moses, the Lawgiver (Morricone)

To be honest, apart from the magisterial main theme -- a wonderful piece -- this is HARD WORK. No fun here, no sirree. Compositionally, interesting to hear Morricone working in this improvised monody mode, but it will go back on the shelf for another few years, I think. The theme can be heard on compilations.

I agree that it's HARD WORK. You seem to ignore the beautiful secondary theme though. Even though it's not as stunning as the main theme, it's certainly worth mentioning. The track Israel is perhaps an acquired taste, but if you don't mind such a unique sounding track, that's also a real stunner. Besides the two themes and the standalone track, Israel, I agree that the score is practically unlistenable. I think this score would have been considered a masterpiece if they had released a 30-minute album instead of the excessive 100-minute release.

I also hear from people who've seen the mini-series that there is a third brilliant theme. For some strange reason Morricone didn't want this theme to be released.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe

I'm listening to all the tracks repeatedly and rating them in itunes. All the ratings range from 2-3. In other words there are no tracks that I really really like, it's all just average and below average. There are a couple of themes that I consider ok, but they don't really blow me away.

I get the feeling this score holds more quality than my brain currently realizes, and some day it will dawn on me. Perhaps with more listens I will some day get there.

My current rating: ***

Peter smile
  3. plindboe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP (or recently, rather): Moses, the Lawgiver (Morricone)

To be honest, apart from the magisterial main theme -- a wonderful piece -- this is HARD WORK. No fun here, no sirree. Compositionally, interesting to hear Morricone working in this improvised monody mode, but it will go back on the shelf for another few years, I think. The theme can be heard on compilations.

I agree that it's HARD WORK. You seem to ignore the beautiful secondary theme though. Even though it's not as stunning as the main theme, it's certainly worth mentioning. The track Israel is perhaps an acquired taste, but if you don't mind such a unique sounding track, that's also a real stunner. Besides the two themes and the standalone track, Israel, I agree that the score is practically unlistenable. I think this score would have been considered a masterpiece if they had released a 30-minute album instead of the excessive 100-minute release.

I also hear from people who've seen the mini-series that there is a third brilliant theme. For some strange reason Morricone didn't want this theme to be released.

Peter smile

Actually, although I shouldn't, I count these three themes ('Israel' + the two other themes) as 'the magisterial main theme' because they often appear in the same track on the album & on some compilations, but I am aware of the difference. Good point though. I do think that if you have one of the compilation tracks, you probably have enough.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Robinson Crusoe On Mars - Nathan Van Cleave

A dream come true to finally have the score to one of my childhood favorite films get a very decent release!
    The team at FSM have nailed it perfectly. Brilliant stereo sound (can't believe it was recorded in 1964!), very descriptive liner notes by Randall Larson and great artwork and stills from the film.
    The music works brilliantly in the film. It holds up on album very well too.
    However, if your musical tastes lean towards action adventure in say, modern RC style turn away.
    Sure it can be slow and plodding at times but it really transports me to the desolate red planet at a time of mystery and wonderment (being the early 60s) and the trials of survival the main character(s) had to endure.
    This is going to get played a lot I think!
    Wonderful stuff! cool
  4. plindboe wrote

I'm listening to all the tracks repeatedly and rating them in itunes. All the ratings range from 2-3. In other words there are no tracks that I really really like, it's all just average and below average. There are a couple of themes that I consider ok, but they don't really blow me away.

I get the feeling this score holds more quality than my brain currently realizes, and some day it will dawn on me. Perhaps with more listens I will some day get there.

My current rating: ***

Peter smile

Wasn't in love with it either at first, but it definitely has grown on me. Just not one of his all-time best, but it works spectacularly well in the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Atham wrote

A dream come true to finally have the score to one of my childhood favorite films get a very decent release!
    The team at FSM have nailed it perfectly. Brilliant stereo sound (can't believe it was recorded in 1964!), very descriptive liner notes by Randall Larson and great artwork and stills from the film.
    However, if your musical tastes lean towards action adventure in say, modern RC style turn away.
    Sure it can be slow and plodding at times but it really transports me to the desolate red planet at a time of mystery and wonderment (being the early 60s) and the trials of survival the main character(s) had to endure.
    Wonderful stuff! cool

You've reminded me that I need to take a listen to this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. I was listening to SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO for the second time earlier today, and the score blows my mind. The themes are fantastic and the ideas constructed around them hold up for the duration of the album. I'm going to buy this score for certain, but I don't like the japanese covers. I hope it gets a US release soon, you know with english track listing and liner notes and the like. Also the one for sale at SAE is pretty expensive because it's an import.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA S4 - BEAR MCCREARY

And so I come to the final soundtrack, or maybe not because 'Razor / The Plan' is the final one, but I'm not a real fan of it. As for this album disc one is my favourite, it holds its own in the way the tracks are sequenced and the music is diverse and rich, with some real showstoppers such as the great opening and ending cues, and very intesting material in between. So this has now become my second favourite album of the series, S2 being the first.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011 edited
    Atham wrote

Wonderful stuff! cool

An album I intend to get. Not "modern RC" is a magic word for me cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DEVIL'S ADVOCATE - James Newton Howard

One of my favourites from the composer, very dark orchestral/choral score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Water - Mychael Danna

So beautiful. His finest album, I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    "Walk Into River" = Perfection.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Once Upon a Time in America - Ennio Morricone

Brilliant.
  8. Timmer wrote
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

!

(that's better)
  9. Vertical Limit - James Newton Howard

Not bad, the strength of the score is in the first half, and the weaknesses in the second half.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Vertical Limit - James Newton Howard

Not bad, the strength of the score is in the first half, and the weaknesses in the second half.

Love the main theme in this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Love the main theme in this one.

One of my all time favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011 edited
    NP: Rascals and Robbers - James Horner

This is a great release!
    Recorded days before he began his work for Star Trek 2 this little Tom Sawyer television score sparkles with early Hornerisms.
    Some cues mirror his music for Something Wicked This Way Comes. Some Natty Gann. And even Krull!
    Oh, and a sprinkle of Battle Beyond The Stars!
    This score is the reason I bought the CD and not for Goldsmith's The Homecoming which is also featured on this release.
    A very rewarding listen! cool
  10. KevinSmith wrote

There's a lot of good music unreleased from that one. Especially for the end of the movie.
  11. SMALL SOLDIERS - MICHAEL GIACCHINO

GODDAMNIT THIS ROCKS!!!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIVE - James Newton Howard

Superb score. This really could do with an exapnded release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    SMALL SOLDIERS - MICHAEL GIACCHINO

Huh? Isn't that Goldsmith?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    SMALL SOLDIERS - MICHAEL GIACCHINO

Huh? Isn't that Goldsmith?

It's a game score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Giacchino wrote two Small Soliders video game scores and both are really a lot of fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROVING MARS - Philip Glass

Melancholic and rhythmic relaxation.