• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011
    Anthony wrote
    Atham wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Did the recent boxset contain the complete score to Raiders?

No. It didn't include the music where Marion was thrown into the well (hanging onto statue, losing her shoe etc) and the mummy room sequence. Oh, and let's not forget they included the nastily edited Desert Chase from the old LP/CD instead of the complete version which was thankfully, included in the DCC edition!
    I made myself a double disc version with everything included.

You're right, I forgot Desert Chase was edited.

This is the reason I'm glad I held onto my DCC version.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (John Williams)

Completing my Indy retrospective. I think this is underrated. Film as well, although it had its shortcomings.

Me and you'll get shot! I watched it again recently and didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as I'd first thought, as you say plenty of "shortcomings" but I actually enjoyed it, darn fine score too.

Yeah. I LOLed at Shia Leboeuf doing his Tarzan routine....that was just totally out there, even for an Indy flick...but there were so many other great action setpieces that only Spielberg can do. And warm comedy too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011 edited
    NP: CRASH (Mark Isham)

I'm sorry for the repetitive posting of this, but I just can't get enough of it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is by far one of, if not the worst film Spielberg has ever made. An absolutely wretched, cringe induing train wreck! There are few solid scenes... but think about that for a minute. A few solid scenes. Can you say the same about the other three films? Nope.

As for the score... yeah, it has its moments... but that's it... moments. That's my biggest beef with Williams' score because the other three scores contained one highlight after another. If I ever want to return to Crystal Skull album (which I don't really want to... again, that's something I never say about the other three scores) I listen to about 6 tracks or so. The rest is pedestrian. Oh man does that quicksand cue (and scene) absolutely suck!!! And I hate all the references to the previous films. It's almost like they were saying "Hey, remember how awesome Indiana Jones used to be."

While I would be interested to see an Indy 5 (just to give these guys another chance with the hopes that they can prove that Indy 4 was a mistake) I think deep down inside I just want everyone to move on and let Crystal Skull be the black sheep of the Indy family. However, I won't mind seeing Indy 5 just so they can kill off the LeBarf character.

It's interesting... and I commented on this before... I found the third Mummy film (which came out the same year as Indy 4) to be far more entertaining and far more Indiana Jonesesque (at least during the first half of the film) than Indy 4 ever was. And O'Connell's son was what Indy's son should have looked like -- not the wimpy, pint-sized LaBeef.

crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Whatever feelings you might have, I'm happy with the box set. But then I've never been obsessed about the missing part of 'The Desert Chase' either... Say what you will, even on the Bouzereau version the track flows very well and kicks ass. It doesn't make me miss that (give or take) one minute which was left off whatsoever...

Have you heard the unedited cue? The edits in the LP version of the Desert Chase (which is what was used for the Box Set) are awful. They are distracting and completely unnecessary.

This is another issue I had with the box set. Why present the every single track on the Raiders album in their unaltered form YET use the edited version of "The Desert Chase?" Bouzereau is a terrible, terrible album producer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Lost Horizon from Dimitri Tiomkin
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Tower - Christopher Young

Only if Coeur Hante was more respective of the whole score, then the score would have been much more memorable than the 30 minutes of restrained material before it.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Whatever feelings you might have, I'm happy with the box set. But then I've never been obsessed about the missing part of 'The Desert Chase' either... Say what you will, even on the Bouzereau version the track flows very well and kicks ass. It doesn't make me miss that (give or take) one minute which was left off whatsoever...

Have you heard the unedited cue? The edits in the LP version of the Desert Chase (which is what was used for the Box Set) are awful. They are distracting and completely unnecessary.

This is another issue I had with the box set. Why present the every single track on the Raiders album in their unaltered form YET use the edited version of "The Desert Chase?" Bouzereau is a terrible, terrible album producer.

-Erik-

If you remember correctly Erik, I had the DCC album, but when the set came out I got rid of it, as I feel the presentation by Bouzereau is just as enjoyable, maybe even more so. Personally I don't have any regrets having sold the DCC release. I know what you're thinking, but hey that's what personal taste is for. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    If you remember correctly Erik, I had the DCC album, but when the set came out I got rid of it, as I feel the presentation by Bouzereau is just as enjoyable, maybe even more so.

omg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RED PLANET - Graeme Revell

Fantastic, I love this album, this is about the closest soundtracks come to 'chill out' comps.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup, it's a great concept album in and of itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    NP : RED PLANET - Graeme Revell

Fantastic, I love this album, this is about the closest soundtracks come to 'chill out' comps.

I like the tracks performed by Emma Shapplin. Beautiful music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's interesting... and I commented on this before... I found the third Mummy film (which came out the same year as Indy 4) to be far more entertaining and far more Indiana Jonesesque (at least during the first half of the film) than Indy 4 ever was. And O'Connell's son was what Indy's son should have looked like -- not the wimpy, pint-sized LaBeef.

I agree Crystal Skull is one of Spielberg's weaker films but still enjoyed it infinitely more than the third Mummy film. I'd take the first Mummy over it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Conspirator - Mark Isham

Pretty good, but I'm not sure there's much here I haven't heard before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    2001 - Alex North

Such excellent music. This may be my final time listening to the Intrada album, though - much prefer the sequencing and sound on the re-recording.

Can't speak for the sequencing, but I much prefer the sound of the original tracks actually. (I heard Goldsmith's recording first, but have never really liked those re-recordings Goldsmith was doing around then, eg Sand Pebbles also.)

Interesting. I don't think it sounds much like those Sand Pebbles / Viva Zapata albums (it was done several years earlier). I always thought 2001 and Streetcar Named Desire were recorded in a film music style, as opposed to the "classical" one they went with later on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ROBE - Alfred Newman

They don't write them like this anymore sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KING KONG - John Barry

Fantastic score, a shame that FSM wasn't able to make this an expanded release as there's a lot of good music missing.

I prefer this over both Max Steiner's and James Newton Howard's scores, simply put it's better than both of those combined.
  2. NP: Love In The Water - Largo Winch 2 (Desplat)

I've just release that the theme that Desplat uses in the sequel score is a mix between the "Largo's childhood" theme from the first movie, and the Dumbledore theme from DH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wind and the Lion - Jezza G

TWATL rocks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    TWATL rocks.

Never do that again! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    TWATL rocks.

Never do that again! wink

-Erik-

LIKE.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011
    NP: THE DIG (Michael Land)

The best game score of all time (although, to be fair, I faded out of gaming in the late 90's). Pure mood bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

Fantastic score, a shame that FSM wasn't able to make this an expanded release as there's a lot of good music missing.

I prefer this over both Max Steiner's and James Newton Howard's scores, simply put it's better than both of those combined.

It is a very fine score for sure. Beautiful love theme yet again from Barry!

But I wont be using the "cheers/I agree with you" smilie this time as I love Steiner's and Newton Howard's Kong scores. All being different beasts (no pun intended) in their own way. I think 'KONG'! when I hear their versions.
  4. Thor wrote

The best game score of all time (although, to be fair, I faded out of gaming in the late 90's). Pure mood bliss!

punk
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011 edited
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

It is a very fine score for sure. Beautiful love theme yet again from Barry!

But I wont be using the "cheers/I agree with you" smilie this time as I love Steiner's and Newton Howard's Kong scores. All being different beasts (no pun intended) in their own way. I think 'KONG'! when I hear their versions.

I was trying to 'reel' someone in on this so congratulations for not biting. wink

I love Barry's ominous and foreboding Kong motif, in fact I would say it shares something in common with Newton Howard's. I also think Barry's score deserves more respect than for having a beautiful love theme, it's a lot more than that.

p.s. I don't think Barry's score is better than the other two, I just prefer it. As for the films, I'll take the 1933 original over both the later films any day.
  5. Thor wrote

You obviously weren't around when something of the magnitude of 'Outcast' came out in 1999. One of my absolute faves and utterly mindblowing.

But The Dig is a very good game score. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

You obviously weren't around when something of the magnitude of 'Outcast' came out in 1999. One of my absolute faves and utterly mindblowing.

Yeah, I was still moderately interested in games in 1999, but I never played that, for some reason.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. ROBOCOP - BASIL POLEDOURIS

A superb childhood favourite, while the film was sufficiently violent for my young eyes, the score stayed in my head ever since, such a delicate blend of orchestra and electronics you simply don't hear anymore. The Intrada release has a great flow and the top sound quality is much appreciated. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah, I was still moderately interested in games in 1999, but I never played that, for some reason.

Then I WILL make you acquainted with the music. It's my purpose in life, you see... wink