• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Natural - Randy Newman

Listening to this score reminds me me of how much more I like A League of Their Own. But The Natural isn't bad by any means, with the big recognizable theme and such.

Not a big Randy fan, but I like this one. He sure knows his way around Americana.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote
    Your Highness - Steve Jablonsky

Starts badly and gets worse.

Eh, I like how completely over the top it gets. It take itself completely seriously and then add 5lb of gouda on top of it.

This makes me excited.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Triumph of the Spirit - Cliff Eidelman

A good score, one of Cliff's best after all these years (he climaxed way too early in quality). The music could use a re-recording but very unlikely to happen (which is a pity really).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. OVer many years I've seen people say they don't know what the name of an instrument is/can't tell what's what, and I used to be that way too on most things, but I decided to put together a video for folks.

Most of your regular American orchestra, and some atypical instruments as well, and some foreign included.

Each is typically from beginning to end of playing range, some I skip around from C, G, C, G & up, and some I simply play famous movie themes.

Anyway, here are the instruments included (in this order):

Bassoon
    Contrabassoon
    Celesta
    Cello *
    Clarinet
    Cor Anglais
    Dulcimer
    Erhu *
    Flute *
    French horn * / *
    Glockenspeil *
    Harp *
    Kalimba
    Pan pipes +
    Sitar *
    Shakuhachi
    Saxophone (tenor; soft) *
    Trombone *
    Trumpet *
    Toms
    Timpani
    Oboe *
    Viola
    Violins * (also, at the end, beginning to end up the range)
    Xylaphone (grand)
    Xylaphone (steel)
    Xylaphone (wooden)
    Congas
    Bongos
    Piccolo
    Tuba (fairly certain I'm playing out of it's range)

* = can you identify the movie/or TV themes?
    + = None score, but instrumental piece that typically ends a well known, long-running radio program.

And the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1K0UHnkWHw
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Justin, I find this sort of thing really useful - more for confirmation rather than identification.

Are these sampled? A lot certainly sound like they are samples of the instruments...(I'll await an answer before I finish the sentence). wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. They are samples, because I can't imagine a french horn sounding so fake...

But this is a very cool idea, and should've been in the 'Clever people, clever things' topic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. FALLING DOWN - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

I like it for its restrained themes and JNH vintage 90s rock style, also for a boot this has great sound quality and as a listening experience it's very short and to the point. It may not have the complexity of later JNH works, but I like this simplicity, especially the soft emotional theme for the Michael Douglas character.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    FALLING DOWN - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

I like it for its restrained themes and JNH vintage 90s rock style, also for a boot this has great sound quality and as a listening experience it's very short and to the point. It may not have the complexity of later JNH works, but I like this simplicity, especially the soft emotional theme for the Michael Douglas character.

Brilliant score, one of my JNH favs. Love the urban grooves as well as the melancholic melodies. And the incorporation of "London Bridge is Falling Down", of course.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. CARLITO'S WAY - PATRICK DOYLE

One of those very effective scores, which holds everything I love about Doyle's writing. The heartfelt melodies in the opening and closing cues, as well as the moody underscore in between but most of the all the incredible action rhythms as experienced so vividly during the magnificient 'Grand Central'. Great stuff ! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    And the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1K0UHnkWHw

Thanks for this, I'm one of those people who doesn't know all the intruments from an orchestra. I know the basic: piano, violin, french horn, oboe, cello and trumpet. I can tell you if I like it or not and how it makes me feel but I don't know the name of the intrument. I really need to learn more about the music I'm passion about.

NP: The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

Probably my favorite score by Jerry Goldsmith. What I love about this score is the chorus, the arabic influences, the main theme and the action music. I'm not the bigest fan of action music but the cue The Fire Dragon is outstanding.
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Justin, I find this sort of thing really useful - more for confirmation rather than identification.

Are these sampled? A lot certainly sound like they are samples of the instruments...(I'll await an answer before I finish the sentence). wink

A little over half are samples from real instruments, others are close proximities.

DreamTheater wrote
    They are samples, because I can't imagine a french horn sounding so fake...

Many of the french horn notes (this is the "heroic horns" varient), sounds almost identital to performances in scores that blast them heroicall, like "Dances With Wolves".

Some are low samples, so they'll never sound too much better, though the video quality was not identical to the wav files quality.

If there's any interest, I can put together one of foreign instruments.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HARRY, HE IS HERE TO HELP - David Whitaker

A French psychological thriller from 2000, this is my first listen and it's a very moody quite ominous score that reminds me of the moodier works of Georges Delerue, Howard Shore & John Barry, I really like what I'm hearing so far and this is so refreshing compared to most recent scores I hear.

Oh, and THANK YOU SIR, you know who you are cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Hook - John Williams

You know, maybe it's because I haven't seen the film, but I'm happy with the original album release (even Banning Back Home and the kiddie songs). The score is great though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Hook - John Williams

You know, maybe it's because I haven't seen the film, but I'm happy with the original album release (even Banning Back Home and the kiddie songs). The score is great though.

Watch the movie and you'll hear how much incredible stuff is still left to be discovered (especially the rest of the Ultimate War battle music and end title) This is one of John Williams' greatest scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Hook - John Williams

Agreed. I find the songs a bit on the grating side, though. Maybe it's something to do with the performance and arrangement, I don't know.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. The songs are TERRIBLE.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    They are. I presume they are what's left over from the aborted Spielberg Peter Pan musical. If so, it would possibly have been the worst musical in history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Williams was never good with musicals, IMO. THOMAS AND THE KING, the only one he wrote himself, is ghastly. I've also found his arrangement work on other people's musicals rather overrated. They're too over-orchestrated and stuffy. Yes, even FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, the Oscar winner. So I'm not surprised the HOOK songs are bad.

He has written some decent songs otherwise, though, in relation to films or as standalone compositions.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: Dreaming - Coraline Complete Score (Bruno Coulais)

I love how original Coulais's music (though you can notice inspiration of Danny Elfman from a mile).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Is there anything new in the complete score that's particularly different from the original album?
  11. justin boggan wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Justin, I find this sort of thing really useful - more for confirmation rather than identification.

A little over half are samples from real instruments, others are close proximities.

DreamTheater wrote
    They are samples, because I can't imagine a french horn sounding so fake...

Many of the french horn notes (this is the "heroic horns" varient), sounds almost identital to performances in scores that blast them heroicall, like "Dances With Wolves".

Some are low samples, so they'll never sound too much better, though the video quality was not identical to the wav files quality.

If there's any interest, I can put together one of foreign instruments.

I would certainly be interested to hear what you come up with.

BTW, it grates when I hear synth approximations of real instruments. Ruins a good tune for me. I can't imagine what it must be like for a composer wanting real instruments but having to settle for some poor quality reproductions (I do realise that there can be a wide range in the quality of these).

I remember J.R. Flynn's score to Stephen King's book The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger having some very obviously synth strings, and it really ruining the listening experience. Which is a pity, as there are some nice passages in this. Particularly when there's an emphasis on acoustic guitar (sounds real) and piano (also sounds real).

These issues have arisen recently with David James Nielsen's score for Tall Ships: Privateer Lynx. That could really have done with a budget for a real orchestra to bring out some really good themes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. Scribe wrote
    Is there anything new in the complete score that's particularly different from the original album?

Yes. There's a few hints of themes. And the chronological order is like in the film.
  13. KevinSmith wrote
    Hook - John Williams

I sincerely hope the complete score will be released this year for the film's 20th anniversary. In the meantime I'll more than gladly listen to my own 2 disc version which is a blend of the official and bootleg releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    yonythemoony wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yes. There's a few hints of themes. And the chronological order is like in the film.

Cool, thanks, will check it out. beer
  14. Scribe wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Scribe wrote

Cool, thanks, will check it out. beer

No problem.
  15. Moliere - Frederic Talgorn

A quirky but mildly fun period score, with lots of harpsichord (oh joy).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ned Blessing (Basil Poledouris)

This is a bootleg; I don't believe it has been officially released. I can kinda understand why as it's not exactly brimming with excellent music. It's all kinda light and strangely hawaiian sounding, similar to Wind, even though it's apparently for a western. It has some good and catchy music though, and a 15-20 minute release, where it's coupled with another score, could work very well.

My rating: ***

Peter smile
  16. THE PRINCE OF EGYPT - HANS ZIMMER & STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

The one with the 3 extra tracks ! Can't get better than this... love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ROBE - Alfred Newman

Awesome AWESOME score.....but you should already know that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt