• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011
    The gospel of John (Jeff Danna)

I like when scores try to sound authentic while combining it with a western orchestra. I can't think of a score where this combination has ever failed. Several good rhythmic tracks and some sweeping moments that take my breath away. The only problem is that some of the latter tracks are a bit lackluster. Would probably have been a superior album with some of the latter tracks missing. Oh, and the finale piece "Follow me" is just divine (literally).

My rating: ****

Now onto Merchant of Venice (Pook). Another authentic sounding score and a ****½ as far as I recall. One of my most enjoyable albums.

Peter smile
  1. Southall wrote
    The Conspirator - Mark Isham

Pretty good, but I'm not sure there's much here I haven't heard before.

James, which version do you have? The 16 or 38 track version?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011 edited
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : KING KONG - John Barry

Fantastic score, a shame that FSM wasn't able to make this an expanded release as there's a lot of good music missing.

I prefer this over both Max Steiner's and James Newton Howard's scores, simply put it's better than both of those combined.

It is a very fine score for sure. Beautiful love theme yet again from Barry!

But I wont be using the "cheers/I agree with you" smilie this time as I love Steiner's and Newton Howard's Kong scores. All being different beasts (no pun intended) in their own way. I think 'KONG'! when I hear their versions.

The first King Kong from RKO was quite special both the film and score.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Lost Horizon Symphonic Suite composed by Dimitri Tiomkin and performed by Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic.
    Thomas smile
  2. Something about Tom's post on Lost Horizon doesn't look right! His photo appears all across the top of his post.

I wonder if it will happen with me...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Yes it does!! Help!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What the hell is up with the interface here???
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It's pretty, isn't it? wink
  5. NP: Plan 9 From Outer Space - Various

These are the tracks of the actual music and not just a copy of the music/audio/FX track from the film. It's quite a mixed bag as it appears that the music comes from a variety of sources, including a lot of library music from "Impress Mood Music Library".

http://sammel-surium.heimat.eu/soundtracks/P9FSM.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maybe its time to just start a new thread
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    At only 86 pages? Not yet.

Anyway, Tom done buggered yonder thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom... make sure there are the same amount of quote tags as there are /quote tags. Or just erase this post completely.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. I'm getting errors here confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom is usualy good every month or so for sabatoging at least one thread!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. ah, it's not only me, good good
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm getting all dizzy here !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Plan 9 From Outer Space - Various

These are the tracks of the actual music and not just a copy of the music/audio/FX track from the film. It's quite a mixed bag as it appears that the music comes from a variety of sources, including a lot of library music from "Impress Mood Music Library".

A very messy mixed bag. Not an interesting listen at all. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

16!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Lost Horizon Symphonic Suite composed by Dimitri Tiomkin and performed by Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic.
    Thomas smile

I don't like that they combine the suite into one long track. While the sound quality is much improved the presentation on the Dolby editions is far superior! But with the advances in digital technology wink I was able to separate the suite into 6 individual tracks to match the Dolby release.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Exposed - Georges Delerue

Seriously good. Brief score but one packed with highlights. Highly recommended.
  8. Chicago Hope - Jeff Rona

A pleasant 1990s synth TV score. The main theme by Mark Isham is surprisingly unmemorable, but the real attraction is the various synth highlights with acoustic soloists.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    KevinSmith wrote
    Chicago Hope - Jeff Rona

A pleasant 1990s synth TV score. The main theme by Mark Isham is surprisingly unmemorable, but the real attraction is the various synth highlights with acoustic soloists.

my favourite tv score. jeff rona wrote very emotional themes for the show. but i think the original main theme from the first season is very memorable. i love this guitar theme, which rona has arranged in his score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Your Highness - Steve Jablonsky

Starts badly and gets worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Noooooooooooooo... not a Steve Jablonsky score?!

-Erik-
  9. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Plan 9 From Outer Space - Various

A very messy mixed bag. Not an interesting listen at all. slant

I'm surprised you say this. Yes, there's no coherent, thematic material binding the score together but as a selection of tracks that attempt to elicit some sort of emotional response I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.
  10. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

16!

I've gone for the complete score version - many of the tracks found on the 16 track version seem to be taken straight from the complete score version rather than there being too much effort making "easier to listen" suites as in his previous release for The Mechanic.
  11. Curly Sue - Georges Delerue

A typical charming effort from Delerue, combining his lighter dramatic tendencies with his jazz style.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011 edited
    NP: Slipstream - Elmer Bernstein

shocked

I'm loving this! Almost halfway through this CD and there's so much to enjoy on this one. Rousing and soaring action music, more reflective and emotional passages, some interesting orchestration...and I like how the Ondes Martenot has been incorporated into the score. Not too intrusive, appearing sometimes as the solo instrument and sometimes doubled up with the likes of strings, soprano voice, etc.

I'd heartily recommend this to everyone.
  12. NP: Balada Triste de Trompeta - Roque Baños

I'm listening to some of this score at the moment and I'm struck again by how well Baños can tap into the whole Bernard Herrmann feel. "Blue Beard" is a track that has some subtle references to the quieter passages of the likes of Vertigo.
  13. BTW, Bernstein's Slipstream delivered a great score right up to the final (and excellent) final 12-minute track.