• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Giacchino wrote two Small Soliders video game scores and both are really a lot of fun!

-Erik-

Two? I was under the impression he did just the Playstation version, is there another one?

Small Soldiers was a 3rd person PS game, and Small Soldiers: Squad Commander was a PC strategy game.

Ah okay. Different scores, or just using the same themes and such?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote
    What do you think of Crystal Skull?

It's fine. Interesting to hear INDY music channeled through Williams' contemporary style.

For somebody who loves all three REAL Indy scores, Crystal Skull is far from fine. Probably why the movie sucked as well.

The score is good, not reaching the heights of the previous three but still good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (John Williams)

My least fav INDY score, but plenty of highlights. This is the original Japanese release, the only one for me.

This one's my favourite Indy score! I like all four, though Last Crusade does drag a bit (even on the shorter release).

LAST CRUSADE is - by FAR! - my favourite of them all.

NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (John Williams)

The old version, which is a perfect listening experience. Varied, never dragging or grating, which all the others sometimes do.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011 edited
    How can you miss out The Boat Scene? THE BOAT SCENE!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (John Williams)

The quintessential Erik Woods score! smile Listening to the Indiana Joneses for old times sake.

Please tell me you are listening to the far superior DCC version. That's an quintessential "Erik Woods" album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: GODZILLA - David Arnold

Rarely does music literally bring a smile to my face by being so overtly over the top, and I love it! biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    2001 - Alex North

Such excellent music. This may be my final time listening to the Intrada album, though - much prefer the sequencing and sound on the re-recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    2001 - Alex North

Such excellent music. This may be my final time listening to the Intrada album, though - much prefer the sequencing and sound on the re-recording.

And you do know that the re-recording features an incorrectly labelled cue. The "Main Theme" (last track) is actually the main theme from AFRICA.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Anthony wrote

Rarely does music literally bring a smile to my face by being so overtly over the top, and I love it! biggrin punk

Well I'd be damned in the fiery depths of hell if I didn't take this opportunity to agree with you.

So yeah... the score's bleedin' brilliant !!!! But everybody knows this of course. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote
    What do you think of Crystal Skull?

It's fine. Interesting to hear INDY music channeled through Williams' contemporary style.

For somebody who loves all three REAL Indy scores, Crystal Skull is far from fine. Probably why the movie sucked as well.

The score is good, not reaching the heights of the previous three but still good.

The first half isn't bad, but seriously the second half is utterly dull. I can't honestly put myself to listen to it, I'll ALWAYS take one of the other three to put on. Even Clint Bajakian's score for one of the Indy games is tons more enjoyable, and very much in the same style as Williams.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote

Well I'd be damned in the fiery depths of hell if I didn't take this opportunity to agree with you.

So yeah... the score's bleedin' brilliant !!!! But everybody knows this of course. smile

What allows stuff like this that's recorded 13 years ago to sound this good? The mastering? The original recording? A combination of the two? Why can't everything be this crisp, have the perfect level of bass and generally sound like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (John Williams)

The quintessential Erik Woods score! smile Listening to the Indiana Joneses for old times sake.

Please tell me you are listening to the far superior DCC version. That's an quintessential "Erik Woods" album.

-Erik-

I am. Bought it in the mid 90's, and I wasn't aware of the existence of the Polydor album at the time. I probably would have gone for the latter today, but it's a (more or less) C&C soundtrack that works reasonably well in any case.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Did the recent boxset contain the complete score to Raiders?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011 edited
    Anthony wrote

I have no idea. Never bought it. I don't think the DCC missed much, though, except "Well of the Souls?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

Surely amongst the finest music written for television. Outstanding album. Oh, for the days of composers recording special album presentations of their scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

Nearly. There was some controversy over one cue being an edited down version compared with what was on the DCC album (and in the film). I prefer the DCC version myself but am very pleased to have the box set purely for the extended Temple of Doom, which I'd put as one of Williams's top three scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Anthony wrote

No. It didn't include the music where Marion was thrown into the well (hanging onto statue, losing her shoe etc) and the mummy room sequence. Oh, and let's not forget they included the nastily edited Desert Chase from the old LP/CD instead of the complete version which was thankfully, included in the DCC edition!
    I made myself a double disc version with everything included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That Indy Box Set was a mess. While it's wonderful to have the expanded Temple and Last Crusade albums I'm hoping that the next time these are released someone more capable than Laurent Bouzereau is in the producer chair. Bouzereau should stick to filming documentaries rather than producing CD's.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

Surely amongst the finest music written for television. Outstanding album. Oh, for the days of composers recording special album presentations of their scores...

Very true, a sadly missed format.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    2001 - Alex North

I'm quite happy with Goldsmith's rendition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cristian wrote
    NP: The Beautiful Country - Zbigniew Preisner

Beautiful, melodic score. Preisner is really good.

Agree, very heartfelt and touching. Have you heard "IT'S ALL ABOUT LOVE" too? Gorgeous work.

Yes, I heard It's All About Love and I agree it's gorgeous. "It's time" is a stunning piece of music, one of my favorite cue. It's a shame that he didn't compose any score from 2008, I think Anonyma is his last one sad . We need more scores from him.
  4. Southall wrote
    2001 - Alex North

Can't speak for the sequencing, but I much prefer the sound of the original tracks actually. (I heard Goldsmith's recording first, but have never really liked those re-recordings Goldsmith was doing around then, eg Sand Pebbles also.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011 edited
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (John Williams)

Completing my Indy retrospective. I think this is underrated. Film as well, although it had its shortcomings.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    That Indy Box Set was a mess. While it's wonderful to have the expanded Temple and Last Crusade albums I'm hoping that the next time these are released someone more capable than Laurent Bouzereau is in the producer chair. Bouzereau should stick to filming documentaries rather than producing CD's.

-Erik-

Whatever feelings you might have, I'm happy with the box set. But then I've never been obsessed about the missing part of 'The Desert Chase' either... Say what you will, even on the Bouzereau version the track flows very well and kicks ass. It doesn't make me miss that (give or take) one minute which was left off whatsoever...
  6. AN AMERICAN TAIL: FIEVEL GOES WEST - JAMES HORNER

I think this is an improvement over 'An American Tail', which is already very good. I might even say this is my second favourite animated score from the man, right after 'The Land Before Time'. It's fun and emotional, the songs are great, in short a splendid album from start to finish. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Star Wars
    It's been too long, my old friend. Too long. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Duel At Diablo - Neal Hefti

This has quite an addictive title theme that I've been enjoying a lot since yesterday. I've just watched the film - it's an okay film and one that would probably be on TV in the middle of the afternoon or the early hours of the morning.

I noticed that this score featured on one of the FSM boxed sets - "The MGM Soundtrack Treasury" - released back in 2008. And looking thought the titles on the 12 CDs from that set I see that they have all recently been released now as digital downloads (as has 10 of the 12 CDs featured in the Ron Jones Star Trek set). I wonder if the digital downloads are the same as featured on the FSM set (i.e., featuring any remastering done) or do they originate from the original LP releases?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just look at the label, I'd say.
    I guess these scoring tapes have been made available non-exclusively for any interested party to create a marketable item. So if the downloads are being made available through SAE/FSM, yeah, they should be the same remastered tracks as on the disk. Any other label or editor, it's anyone's guess what the quality may be.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Atham wrote
    Anthony wrote

No. It didn't include the music where Marion was thrown into the well (hanging onto statue, losing her shoe etc) and the mummy room sequence. Oh, and let's not forget they included the nastily edited Desert Chase from the old LP/CD instead of the complete version which was thankfully, included in the DCC edition!
    I made myself a double disc version with everything included.

You're right, I forgot Desert Chase was edited.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (John Williams)

Completing my Indy retrospective. I think this is underrated. Film as well, although it had its shortcomings.

Me and you'll get shot! I watched it again recently and didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as I'd first thought, as you say plenty of "shortcomings" but I actually enjoyed it, darn fine score too.