• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Big Fish - Danny Elfman

A more sedated and intimate version of Sommersby.

Excellent score, with some lovely Americana bits.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STEPMOM (John Williams)

This is the kind of Williams that I can still listen to without being aurally tired; calm, soothing.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE MINI-SERIES (RICHARD GIBBS)

I'm going to listen to all the BSG scores this week, starting with this one. Even though it doesn't have the typical McCreary sound, I still like a lot of the musical ideas on this album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE MINI-SERIES (RICHARD GIBBS)

I'm going to listen to all the BSG scores this week, starting with this one. Even though it doesn't have the typical McCreary sound, I still like a lot of the musical ideas on this album.

That would be because it's not by McCreary and was written before McCreary was aboard. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE MINI-SERIES (RICHARD GIBBS)

Gibbs was in Oingo Boingo with Elfman back in the day. He's done some scores too, but never quite the fame of his fellow band member. His BG score is pretty good.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. McCreary was actually Gibbs's orchestrator, wasn't he? On BSG, that is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    McCreary was actually Gibbs's orchestrator, wasn't he? On BSG, that is.

Looking at the liner notes now, Bear McCreary has an "additional music by" credit. No mention of an orchestrator so you may also be correct Pawel.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011 edited
    NP : THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri

Talking about this on Alan's 'Movie/TV/Game Scores Through The Ages....My Personal Favourites'* thread made me realise I haven't listened to this for a very long time, time for some reappraising I think.

*How's that for free publicity wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Talking about this on Alan's 'Movie/TV/Game Scores Through The Ages....My Personal Favourites'* thread made me realise I haven't listened to this for a very long time, time for some reappraising I think.

Good choice! Let me know if you think any differenly about the first part after all this time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Good choice! Let me know if you think any differenly about the first part after all this time.

You can see my new thoughts on the score in Alan's thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. The Abyss is one of my favourites from Silvestri, and that's only for the 3 ending cues. They're pretty much mindblowing to say the least.

And I could do with an expanded treatment of this one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. MATINEE - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Something about it that I like, the bitter sweet theme, the playfulness of it all, just nothing more than it pretends to be, a nice little score that sits nicely in between his really inspired works and his auto-pilot writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A.I. (John Williams)

Underrated score for one of the most underrated films of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Is the film and score underrated? Fantastic score, one of my faves of Williams 00's output, the film is quite good.
  7. I love AI too. I did choose two Barry scores (Bonds - Goldfinger and Living Daylights) over this one at the HMV in Oxford Street when I was in London. Got both of them for the price I'd get just AI for, so it was a no-brainer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Is the film and score underrated? Fantastic score, one of my faves of Williams 00's output, the film is quite good.

The score isn't often talked about in the Williams canon, as far as I know, and the film is usually dismissed as Spielberg sweetening the Kubrick story and other nonsense. It's one of those films that SLOWLY has started to gain appreciation over the last few years, and hopefully will continue to down the road.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

I've always liked the score (but this is one instance where the album just doesn't feel right to me - I've never heard the promo extended one, I'm sure I wouldn't want two CDs of it, but I wonder if a better score album could have been put together). Couldn't take to the film at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cocoon - James Horner

I have a pile of at least 50 CDs waiting to be reviewed - it was 75 a few weeks ago, so I've been enjoying revisiting a few old favourites (until the dozen new CDs I've ordered over the last week or two arrive, anyway). I can't even remember the last time I heard this. It really is very good.
  8. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

The score isn't often talked about in the Williams canon, as far as I know, and the film is usually dismissed as Spielberg sweetening the Kubrick story and other nonsense. It's one of those films that SLOWLY has started to gain appreciation over the last few years, and hopefully will continue to down the road.

I like both a great deal, however I'm not sure the nonsense is as marked as you suggest. The last third of the film is pretty sugar sweet, despite the mortal overtones, and I can't believe Kubrick would have gone there, having read his outline for the film. (For example, one small change that makes all the difference: David makes not coffee for his mother, but fixes her favourite alcoholic drink, a bloody mary. The irony of a robot child mixing a cocktail for a grieving mother is so strong, but must have been a bit bitter for the Beard.) Still for all that, it is a film of richer concerns than the more popular film that followed, Minority Report.

The score is wonderful, one of Williams' latter-day best, both as composition and as a score. The John Adams, Richard Strauss and Philip Glass references in particular show Williams continues to mine the best of the concert sphere for new ideas, trying his own versions. I wouldn't mind if the -- frankly vomit-inducing duet Broadway ballad -- on the album, was replaced with more of the score's diverse range. (E.g. the theme which dominates the first third of the film isn't on the album.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011
    Vibes - James Horner

I've no idea how I came to own this, I have no recollection at all of buying it (a limited edition of 1,000 copies released in 1989 - I certainly didn't buy it at the time), nor indeed of ever listening to it before. It's truly very odd indeed, unique, a mix of extremely bleak synthetic soundscapes with curious up-tempo pan-pipe music.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Igor - Patrick Doyle

Not the one of the best Doyle scores with its somewhat jerky movements from comedy to mock-horror and such. It's like a more kiddie version of Frankenstein.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  9. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

The film I've always adored since day 1, the way Spielberg builds up toward that final act, from the moment David goes underwater to find the blue fairy the film has completely sucked me in all the way to the end. It truly is one of the man's greatest strenghts, like in all his top films, the way he tells the story, uses John's rich score to make me completely enveloped by the film's atmosphere and events taking place. And of course Haley Joel Osment is absolutely superb, even more so than in The Sixth Sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like both a great deal, however I'm not sure the nonsense is as marked as you suggest. The last third of the film is pretty sugar sweet, despite the mortal overtones, and I can't believe Kubrick would have gone there, having read his outline for the film. (For example, one small change that makes all the difference: David makes not coffee for his mother, but fixes her favourite alcoholic drink, a bloody mary. The irony of a robot child mixing a cocktail for a grieving mother is so strong, but must have been a bit bitter for the Beard.) Still for all that, it is a film of richer concerns than the more popular film that followed, Minority Report.

The score is wonderful, one of Williams' latter-day best, both as composition and as a score. The John Adams, Richard Strauss and Philip Glass references in particular show Williams continues to mine the best of the concert sphere for new ideas, trying his own versions. I wouldn't mind if the -- frankly vomit-inducing duet Broadway ballad -- on the album, was replaced with more of the score's diverse range. (E.g. the theme which dominates the first third of the film isn't on the album.)

I see no point in making the story grittier than what it already is at core. I see nothing sugar sweet about it, in fact, but rather a restraint and "cool" detachment - almost clinical precision - to the very end. But at the same time it's very emotional. It's a particular combination there that Spielberg has managed in his more serious fare, like SCHINDLER and MUNICH.

I also love the song, with lyrics and especially without. Especially when it reaches that very low note....that gets to me every time.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote

I see no point in making the story grittier than what it already is at core.

That wouldn't surprise me Thor, for on these boards you've often claimed an inability to imagine how something might somehow be better. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup, but you know....the WHAT IS is always more interesting than the WHAT COULD BE.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I think it's a type of person who feels that way. For if it were always true, I'd spend all my time just watching all the films that had been made, rather than prepare for the ones I haven't made yet. wink
  12. NP: Largo Winch 2 (Desplat)

Not my favourite from the composer. The first score was quite a bit stronger than this -- maybe a bit of fatigue set in?

Still, I guess when your last year and a half in film includes Fantastic Mr Fox, Un Prophete, The Ghostwriter, Harry Potter 7, The King's Speech, and The Special Relationship, you're allowed to have an 'off film'. (Haven't heard Tamara Drewe yet.)
  13. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA S1 - BEAR MCCREARY

To me this is just the most uninteresting season, musically. A few great cues don't make up for the general sense of boredom I get when listening to the album. Still, Bear starts some ideas that would later get superior treatment / renditions. This first season is just too percussive / monotonous for my taste.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Largo Winch 2 (Desplat)

I guess when your last year and a half in film includes Fantastic Mr Fox, Un Prophete, The Ghostwriter, Harry Potter 7, The King's Speech, and The Special Relationship, you're allowed to have an 'off film'. (Haven't heard Tamara Drewe yet.)

But why did it have to be this one? cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Cocoon - James Horner

I have a pile of at least 50 CDs waiting to be reviewed - it was 75 a few weeks ago, so I've been enjoying revisiting a few old favourites (until the dozen new CDs I've ordered over the last week or two arrive, anyway). I can't even remember the last time I heard this. It really is very good.

It's a superb score that's had countless plays even since I retired the LP for the CD.

How about VIBES? You don't say whether you liked it or not.