• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I really enjoy most of the Hook score, I do find it difficult to listen all the way through though, an expanded edition wouldn't entice me.

Nor me, but I think there's room for a "deluxe" edition combining the best parts of the album that was released with the best parts of the score that wasn't.

I've never been able to make it through the film to know how many good pieces were left off the release.

I've watched (and heard) the film lots of times and I can tell you, there are many brilliant cues not present on the official release.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN - JAMES HORNER

Legendary Horner score and one that should be in every collection.

But I still don't adore it as much as the sequel, coming up next. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    Listening doesn't get much better than those two scores!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - JAMES HORNER

I here you Tim! cheesy

It's my intention from now on to listen to these two back to back whenever I feel the urge. The one can't exist without the other... Trek II and III are two of James' finest scores, and I basically see them as one great Horner work. What's more, they sound just as fresh and amazing today as they did nearly 30 years ago! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree, I've always seen both scores as one big work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited
    MARK MCKENZIE - el gran milagro

Easily the most outstanding piece of film music work i've heard this year. It's truly sublime, and at parts magnificent. McKenzie is a brilliantly gifted artist, one who writes from the heart.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I don't think it's either sublime or magnificent (especially when you offset it against such TRULY magnificent solemn scores like The Greatest Story Ever Told or King Of Kings), but I'll say this: it's one of the finest scores of the last 12 months, with a very strong melodic and reverent style, chocablock with that "religious sound" Thor likes so much (and at around 42 minutes, it's of perfect length as well).

Extremely enjoyable, very fine stand-alone listen, and one of the big surprises this year!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Well, I don't think it's either sublime or magnificent (especially when you offset it against such TRULY magnificent solemn scores like The Greatest Story Ever Told or King Of Kings), but I'll say this: it's one of the finest scores of the last 12 months, with a very strong melodic and reverent style, chocablock with that "religious sound" Thor likes so much (and at around 42 minutes, it's of perfect length as well).

Extremely enjoyable, very fine stand-alone listen, and one of the big surprises this year!

The McKenzie one? If so, I gotta check it out!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thor wrote
    NP: BOMBAY (A. R. Rahman)

Rahman at his best - involving songs, beautiful score and NO damn vocoder!

Absolutely. Bombay Theme is one of his most emotionally gripping pieces ever, pure musical magic over there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    The McKenzie one? If so, I gotta check it out!

Yep, the McKenzie one. And yes, Thor, I certainly do recommend it to you. I wager it's right up your alley!

NP: L'Incorrigible - Georges Delerue
    A very spry, mischievous little score, and a Delerue I am in fact since quite some time fully enjoying again! It's full of life, yet incorporates that bittersweet sound Delerue really seems to have patented (or at least has pretty much honed to perfection to the level of being the standard against which all others are measured).
    Of course it has a beautiful theme again, and the interesting bonus of sporting a track where Delerue himself plays the piano (a little melancholic piece called Thème D'Amour. How fitting! smile )

The album is coupled on CD with another Delerue score Va Voir Maman, Papa Travaille.
    The theme is very likable, but the rest of the score really doesn't do much for me: it's rather poppy and fluffy and -as said, aside from the theme which returns in some variations, including a pop/disco-ish variant- not really very interesting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Aisling Song - The Secret of Kells (Bruno Coulais and Christen Mooney's voice)

It must be the most beautiful singing voice I've ever heard in a soundtrack.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BON VOYAGE - Gabriel Yared

Great score with more of that 'Talented Mr Ripley' sound I really love.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    MARK MCKENZIE - el gran milagro

Easily the most outstanding piece of film music work i've heard this year. It's truly sublime, and at parts magnificent. McKenzie is a brilliantly gifted artist, one who writes from the heart.

you've said it, I utterly adore him.
    But I still think Blizzard is better smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SNAKE EYES - Ryuichi Sakamoto

I love Sakamoto's scores, I wish he'd do more.
  5. He's still a pretty busy composer, but not so much in Western projects. I think Miya could make a point here. Most of my exposure to him is thanks to her.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, I'd love to know what he's currently involved in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rich and Famous - Georges Delerue

Exquisitely beautiful... but the more CDs I buy of things previously only available as a theme or suite on The London Sessions, the more I think in future I should stick to the theme or suite on The London Sessions.
  6. Southall wrote
    ...the more CDs I buy of things previously only available as a theme or suite on The London Sessions, the more I think in future I should stick to the theme or suite on The London Sessions.

Wise words indeed!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MIAMI VICE (Tim Truman)

It's an outrage that Truman's music for the fifth season is unreleased. Some fantastic music that rivals that of Hammer, IMO. Check out this, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjGwhHFNow
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Aisling Song - The Secret of Kells (Bruno Coulais and Christen Mooney's voice)

It must be the most beautiful singing voice I've ever heard in a soundtrack.

Simultaneously pretty and creepy in a haunting way. Very exotic.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    ...the more CDs I buy of things previously only available as a theme or suite on The London Sessions, the more I think in future I should stick to the theme or suite on The London Sessions.

Wise words indeed!

'Memories of me' was what got me cottoning on to this... wink
    The French stuff is a bit different though -- but then there isn't a great deal of that on The London Sessions.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. NP: Les Massacres - Oceans (Bruno Coulais)

Very dark, especially with the choir and thoses sliding strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He's still a pretty busy composer, but not so much in Western projects. I think Miya could make a point here. Most of my exposure to him is thanks to her.

Most of his asian scores are plain awkward. I wish he returns to the grandeur of Little Buddah, Snake Eyes, Sheltering sky, sometime soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David arnold - paul

Hm, fun and noisy, playful with some orchestra, guitar, bass drums, americana. Not a score i'll return to very often but i am curious to see how it works in the film.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

Wonderful score, but how much good material was left off the CD (in minutes)?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  9. 10-20.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    PawelStroinski wrote
    10-20.

And how long is the score in total?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  10. 80-90 minutes, I think?
  11. There are two major unreleased sequences: The fire when his friend gets burned in the face and taken to the hospital (William Baldwin's that is) and the fire truck accident near the final setpiece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BY CROM! IF YOU CAN'T TELL WHAT I'M PLAYING I'LL CRUSH YOU UNDER FOOT AND HEAR YOUR SORRY-ASS LAMENTING!