• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011
    Never Let Me Go - Rachel Portman

Typically beautiful main theme, and just as typically, it gets a very thorough work out, though a couple of other cues - which are used really effectively in the film - stand out as well.
  1. NP: Tamara Drewe - Desplat

This is the kind of score which in a couple of listens left someone without nothing except for two or three hours, but once watched the film, it becames very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Abyss - Alan Silvestri

Outside of the orgasmic 12 minutes, the score is a bit pedestrian.

:thumbs waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down:
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    LOST: Season 1 - Michael Giacchino

Just fell in love with the show, and the score's not half bad either...

Welcome to the party, even late smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Tamara Drewe - Desplat

This is the kind of score which in a couple of listens left someone without nothing except for two or three hours, but once watched the film, it becames very good.

I watched it and still the score doesn't say much. The film is cute but confused towards the end.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Tamara Drewe - Desplat

I watched it and still the score doesn't say much. The film is cute but confused towards the end.

Yeah. But still it works better. Also, you can notice how well Desplat makes variations of the main theme
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Outside of the orgasmic 12 minutes, the score is a but pedestrian.

Really? This is one of my alltime favourite soundtracks, and one of the first I got on CD.

The finale stuff is obviously brilliant, but I find much to savour in the early part of the disc too. The "watery" suspense, the knife fight etc. Besides, it BUILDS up to the finale in a wonderful way.

I gotta go to bed now, but you've inspired me....this will be played again tomorrow. smile

I think I need to give this score a re-evaluation, besides the finale I've never been impressed, the temp track is obviously BRAINSTORM for the choral cues.

Well, I've always found that to be a bit overrated. The first few notes are indeed similar, but then they veer of in different directions. It's a bit like the KING'S ROW/STAR WARS ordeal.

Of course, fans just love to find such similarities and blow them up to dramatic proportions. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I can relate to ABYSS ambivalence. Silvestri has never been my thing, and he drifts further and further from being that thing with each new score.

NP: 'Brothers in Arms' (Dire Straits)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I can relate to ABYSS ambivalence. Silvestri has never been my thing, and he drifts further and further from being that thing with each new score.

NP: 'Brothers in Arms' (Dire Straits)

Silvestri is on/off, but really good when he's ON.

Great NP....nostalgic pleasure from my youth. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Dario Marianelli - Jane Eyre

Great score. Wonderful performances, beautiful restraint leading to its dramatic climax. I love such works, building up, working to the climax. The theme is not very strong, but fits a very classical construction of the score.

I listened to this score twice and I think it's a good score, I like the dramatic writing and the violin, but I don't think it's a five star score. It didn't blow me away. I think it's the kind of score who will grow which every listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    LOST: Season 1 - Michael Giacchino

Just fell in love with the show, and the score's not half bad either...

Please stop at the season 2 after they discover what's in the hatch. After that the show is going down!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There are dips in the middle of seasons 2 and 3 but it doesn't start going downhill until season 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    There are dips in the middle of seasons 2 and 3 but it doesn't start going downhill until season 5.

yeah

sad

So sad. Starting off as pretty much the newest, freshest, most interesting thing on TV for years (if not decades), and ending up in a heap of rubble.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Dario Marianelli - Jane Eyre

Great score. Wonderful performances, beautiful restraint leading to its dramatic climax. I love such works, building up, working to the climax. The theme is not very strong, but fits a very classical construction of the score.

I listened to this score twice and I think it's a good score, I like the dramatic writing and the violin, but I don't think it's a five star score. It didn't blow me away. I think it's the kind of score who will grow which every listen.

Or you'll have to wait and watch the movie too; like the case with almost every film score smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote

yeah

sad

So sad. Starting off as pretty much the newest, freshest, most interesting thing on TV for years (if not decades), and ending up in a heap of rubble.

Am i weird for loving it all entirely to the last episode? Best tv series i've seen and i hadn't followed any other since like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    You guys have just convinced me to watch Lost. I've never seen an episode before (I've heard there's also a guy in Ethiopia who've never seen it either) and now I want to find out what all the hoopla is about.

Peter smile
  4. Ethiopia and North Wales! I've missed the boat on this series. But I don't really feel I have missed out on anything.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote

yeah

sad

Am i weird for loving it all entirely to the last episode? Best tv series i've seen and i hadn't followed any other since like that.

Yes.

But season 4 :drool: so good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ethiopia and North Wales! I've missed the boat on this series. But I don't really feel I have missed out on anything.

Glad I'm not alone. Soon I'll watch it though and you'll be alone. Well, you and the guy in Ethiopia.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Fly - Howard Shore

One of Shore's better scores in his career.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Vamos a matar, compañeros (Ennio)

I love the crazy and catchy main theme. No one else but Morricone could create a crazy piece like this and still make it so succesful and enjoyable. The "La messicana" standalone track is a real Morricone gem as well. Besides these cues I'm not the score's biggest fan. The secondary and tertiary themes don't really do much for me for some reason.

My rating: ***½

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ethiopia and North Wales! I've missed the boat on this series. But I don't really feel I have missed out on anything.

Believe me Alan, you really haven't!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Fly - Howard Shore

One of Shore's better scores in his career.

Why?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Outside of the orgasmic 12 minutes, the score is a but pedestrian.

Really? This is one of my alltime favourite soundtracks, and one of the first I got on CD.

The finale stuff is obviously brilliant, but I find much to savour in the early part of the disc too. The "watery" suspense, the knife fight etc. Besides, it BUILDS up to the finale in a wonderful way.

I gotta go to bed now, but you've inspired me....this will be played again tomorrow. smile

I think I need to give this score a re-evaluation, besides the finale I've never been impressed, the temp track is obviously BRAINSTORM for the choral cues.

Strange, I've never made the Brainstorm connection. And The Abyss was also one of our (Thomas and I) first scores, must've played this CD a ton of times by now. Absolutely love the sound Silvestri went for, with the finale having that jaw-dropping and awe-inducing quality to it, especially when heard while watching the film, which I also love.

Would like to see this expanded and in better quality.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA - DAVID ARNOLD

First listen. Coming from the man who started his career in glorious fashion with the holy threesome this sounds very bland. A couple of good cues make me realize there isn't too much interesting going on in this score. Mr Arnold, when will you go back and write something absolutely fantastic again? I've been waiting for over 10 years now and I'm beginning to think that you may have lost your touch. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ALEXANDER - Vangelis

A darn good album. I've purposely avoided the film.

The film sucks big time, but the score is good!

Agreed, the movie's largely forgettable, but I like Vangelis' contribution to it. The choral tracks make it very enjoyable IMO.

7. Am i weird for loving it all entirely to the last episode? Best tv series i've seen and i hadn't followed any other since like that.

I agree with you 100%. I loved every episode from the opening frame of the pilot right through the closing frame of the finale. I remember watching the pilot for the first time and thinking it felt like a feature in terms of production value; it was beautifully shot, scored by live musicians at a time when 95% of television had horrendous faux orchestra synth a la 24, a brilliant script and terrific performances. In the last few months I've been re-watching the entire series on Blu-ray (which look and sound astounding!), I'm currently up to episode 5 of season 4, and I've been loving it just as much as the first time through. I've also been appreciating the music even more, what Giacchino managed across the 6 seasons is staggering. For me it was never about the many mysteries of the island; The characters, photography and music are what makes it for me my favourite television ever. How's that for hyperbole!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.
    You guys are weird.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yes.
    You guys are weird.

...said the film score collector.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I keep coming back to this most excellent point.