• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    Doctor Who, Series 3 - Murrray Gold

I am admittedly very late getting to these scores. The S1/2 CD was very good but this is just unbelievable. Great cue after great cue, with so many incredible themes. One of the most enjoyable discs I've heard in ages, will be playing this a lot in the coming weeks (as well as purchasing everything that comes after it!). Gold indeed this is! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Musashi - Morricone

Another I hadn't listened to for years. Very nice it is, too.
  1. Alas, it seems the lengthy post I typed about listening to Deathly Hallows (Desplat) was lost, last night.

Suffice to say, I listened again while driving somewhere, and was impressed again at Desplat's craft. Every track brings interesting ideas. It wouldn't hurt to be a tad shorter. It confirmed again for me that Desplat is a bit of a wavelength composer -- often on my first listen, I'm not on the wavelength. But when I get there, hours of engagement ensue. If the album has a slow patch, it's because the film was padded out beyond what it should have been -- there actually isn't enough story for the music to be about in the second half.

In particular, in this score, Desplat seemed to nail the modern John Williams action sound -- Stravinsky, Stravinsky, Stravinsky -- furious dervishes based around catchy time signatures and martial motifs. And Desplat generally doesn't write like Stravinsky. He was trying this time.

Also last night, Dire Straits' 'Brothers in Arms' popped up on iTunes. I was reminded of the remarkable season 2 finale of The West Wing, where this song played such a key part. Television drama at its best.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Clue by John Morris as I'm working on the review.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Faccia a Faccia - Ennio

Hooray! More Ennio. Looking through my Morricone collection, there are at least 30 albums where I have absolutely no idea what the music is like. There's every chance I've never even listened to them. (Though this isn't one of those - I already knew how good it is - decided to "unexpand" it and rearrange the longer album to be like the short one, only with better sound.)

An album with some excellent highlights. You might enjoy the suite I made for youtube here (Starts at 3:18)-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-MuqMSOPM

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011
    NP: THE WAR - THOMAS NEWMAN

A lovely though rarely mentioned score from 1994 - likely overshadowed by Little Women and The Shawshank Redemption from the same year. Gorgeous stuff - I recommend it if you enjoy his touching, understated writing for films such as Phenomenon and How To Make An American Quilt.

cool
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011 edited
    Nate and the Colonel - Terry Plumeri

What a gorgeous gem of an album, truly sublime stuff from a quality composer (a conclusion I'm making after hearing just 4 of his scores on CD - all are first class and very different).
  2. "Don't Think About Elephants", Inception - Hans Zimmer

Probably the best rendition of the main action theme in this score, which is saying a lot since the original was great enough as it was.
  3. Martijn wrote
    No, no. They're jerking the big one.

Godzilla?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's him. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (Well, his tail at any rate)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure I saw Mothra defeat Gojira in one film?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP: Goodbye (It's A Little Awkard) - Paul (David Arnold)

Wonderful
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALEXANDER - Vangelis

A darn good album. I've purposely avoided the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

Not a bad film at all. Not perfect, sure, but really good. And the score works wonderfully.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Big Gundown - Ennio

Some moments of sheer brilliance (and some boring stuff).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

The film sucks big time, but the score is good!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: The Monks - The Secret of Kells (Bruno Coulais)

A gorgeous choral cue, in the film is heartbreaking.
  6. LOST: Season 1 - Michael Giacchino

Just fell in love with the show, and the score's not half bad either...
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011 edited
    The Abyss - Alan Silvestri

Outside of the orgasmic 12 minutes, the score is a bit pedestrian.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011
    KevinSmith wrote

Outside of the orgasmic 12 minutes, the score is a but pedestrian.

Really? This is one of my alltime favourite soundtracks, and one of the first I got on CD.

The finale stuff is obviously brilliant, but I find much to savour in the early part of the disc too. The "watery" suspense, the knife fight etc. Besides, it BUILDS up to the finale in a wonderful way.

I gotta go to bed now, but you've inspired me....this will be played again tomorrow. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Dario Marianelli - Jane Eyre

Great score. Wonderful performances, beautiful restraint leading to its dramatic climax. I love such works, building up, working to the climax. The theme is not very strong, but fits a very classical construction of the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marianelli's themes are rarely very "strong" but after listening to each score a handful of times the themes suddenly "click" to me and reveal themselves to be perfect in their own way.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Outside of the orgasmic 12 minutes, the score is a but pedestrian.

Really? This is one of my alltime favourite soundtracks, and one of the first I got on CD.

The finale stuff is obviously brilliant, but I find much to savour in the early part of the disc too. The "watery" suspense, the knife fight etc. Besides, it BUILDS up to the finale in a wonderful way.

I gotta go to bed now, but you've inspired me....this will be played again tomorrow. smile

I think I need to give this score a re-evaluation, besides the finale I've never been impressed, the temp track is obviously BRAINSTORM for the choral cues.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Big Gundown - Ennio

Some moments of sheer brilliance (and some boring stuff).

Never found anything boring about this one ( yes, I'm talking about the expanded edition ), love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not a bad film at all. Not perfect, sure, but really good. And the score works wonderfully.

I caught bits of it one night, aside from an impressive scene between horse and elephant riders it looked terrible, I'll just stick to the score.
  8. Brokeback Mountain - Santaolalla

I don't care if won the Oscar or not, if deserved it or not. This is a nice pleasing little score and the string passages are beautiful and soothing.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    E.T - John Williams

I think that Thor might be onto something with the original MCA album being the best. The expanded MCA album is a bit too long for me with alot of meandering with the various themes in the score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    E.T - John Williams

I think that Thor might be onto something with the original MCA album being the best. The expanded MCA album is a bit too long for me with alot of meandering with the various themes in the score.

I enjoy the fact that both are available but I do agree that the original MCA album is the best, for me it's one of the very best film music albums ever.