• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    confused

That didn't really come across the way I intended!

Firstly, I wanted to thank Erik for the recommendation and encouragement to start the blog. And secondly, it seems that posting the ten random tracks there has meant any comments seem to have fallen away.

Points one and two are in no way related!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I hope that I have now avoided a major international incident.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited
    No more popcorn necessary.

Haven't checked the tracks, but I haven't been checking out much lately anyway (here nor somewhere else), so I'm just useless here.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011
    My intent was just to give your thoughts a home somewhere else on the internet so that other (non-MT) film music fans could find them. Again, if you are looking for more traffic and or interaction with your new blog then you have to whore yourself out to other message boards and film music communities. Also, continue to add your top ten to the Now Playing thread with a link back to your blog!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I hope you are not taking my comments too seriously, Erik!

I am enjoying a Marston's Oyster Stout at the momemt. Too early for you to join me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not at all, Alan. I just want to see your blog succeed and for you to get more traffic!

As for the stout... that's a dandy one right there!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cowboys and Aliens - HGW

Hasn't become less atrocious.
  4. I have this on my "to listen to" list. Should I just bypass it then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Cowboys and Aliens - HGW

I usually present myself as an affable fool with no real, technical musical knowledge, but in fact I am quite well-trained in music theory and my years of study have taught me all sorts of technical terms. I apologise to those who aren't as academically-minded since you might not understand the phrase which best sums up this particular album - a bag of shite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol

I shouldn't laugh really as I've not heard any of it
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BRILLIANT JAMES! BRILLIANT!

lol lol lol lol lol
  5. Up Giacchino

Just got the Intrada release yesterday, it's far from my favourite Giacchino but there's some wonderful music here. As I listen to it here in Bristol the sky is filled in all directions with hot air balloons, kind of perfect really!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And it looks like it would be perfect conditions up there too John, clear blue punctuated with white fluffy clouds, I'd love to be UP* there right now.

*pun intended wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. HAUNTING VILLISCA David James Nielsen

Picked this up at SAEs MSM blowout sale and must say it is quite good. I had purchased the two finale tracks off of itunes a few years ago, but lost them when my computer crashed so I'm happy to have picked this up for an insane price of $2.95! It has a knockout happy sounding main theme that morphs into more typical menacing horror scoring. The action/horror tracks are effectively creepy/unsettling my favorite being 'Dark Chase in the House.' The two part final tracks are really amazing especially the second final track where the main theme is heard in grand fashion (really crisp and noble horn playing --- wasn't expecting that in a horror score). One of the best finales I've heard in a long time. The score (as presented on the CD) has a proper beginning and ending. The only minor disappointment I had was the excellent main theme really isn't heard too much during the middle of the score and basically just bookends it.
  7. Southall wrote
    Cowboys and Aliens - HGW

Scratch this one off of the curiosity list.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, but I'm always confused why a movie that isn't supposed to be taken seriously, such as this one, that is supposed to be mindless fun, takes the score so seriously. You'd think the composer would be allowed to write catchy/bold themes to increase the fun factor and not have to worry about the music being distracting...it's not like it is going into the Smithsonian anytime soon (I could understand them reigning in the studio accountants and not allowing THEM to have fun). I haven't heard it, but from what people are saying (and Southall's review) it sounds like the score is typical modern cookie-cutter dull Hollywood underscore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Next time save time by using this very simple emoticon!

shit

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just wondering if anyone has heard and likes it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NOPE. Everyone hates it! HATES IT!

Alright... here's a more positive(?) review.
    http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/cowboys_aliens.html 3 out of 5 stars.

-Erik-
  8. plindboe wrote
    Thanks Alan!

The Spaghetti Western Orchestra is brilliant. They're the best performers of the Morricone western scores today, even better than Morricone's own live performances. They're also quite funny and very inventive in their choices of instruments. I recommend them highly to you, James, Timmer and anyone else who can listen to that station and are fans of Morricone's spaghetti western music.

It's a great shame it's on the radio though, instead of the telly. One can't really sit around the radio and enjoy it in the same way. With radio one ends up doing something else, and it will end up functioning as background music instead.

Peter cuba

This may not be of much use to you Peter. but tonight's Spaghetti Western Orchestra Prom is going to be on TV (BBC4?) at the end of this month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    North and South - Bill Conti

The Roger Feigelson Playlist* - and it's wonderful. Strong, bold, memorable - and now it's not so bloody long I can actually listen to it! (I didn't have much of an objection to it being so long on musical grounds, by the way - just never had time or probably inclination to listen to something 3.5 hours long.)

*Erik linked to this a while ago. Roger had a bit of a moan at the Intrada messageboard that the album was too long and shouldn't have been released in that form - perhaps the ultimate film music pot/kettle moment - and suggested this edited-down version. It works brilliantly in this form.
  9. NP: Final Destination 5 - Brian Tyler

I think this one can be my favorite Tyler score. Much more better than FD 4, and Battle L.A. The mix isn't over the top and it sounds much more orchestral than some of his previous scores (like having woodwinds in Main Title and Infinite Finale). Too bad that he barely gives a hint of Shirley Walker's theme.

By the way, this one it has a runtime of 69 minutes, not 79 like previous Tyler scores. Maybe he didn't wrote too much music for the film and it's complete.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  10. Any Brian Tyler release is one to look forward to in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    North and South - Bill Conti

The Roger Feigelson Playlist* - and it's wonderful. Strong, bold, memorable - and now it's not so bloody long I can actually listen to it! (I didn't have much of an objection to it being so long on musical grounds, by the way - just never had time or probably inclination to listen to something 3.5 hours long.)

*Erik linked to this a while ago. Roger had a bit of a moan at the Intrada messageboard that the album was too long and shouldn't have been released in that form - perhaps the ultimate film music pot/kettle moment - and suggested this edited-down version. It works brilliantly in this form.

Ah... there is Conti's theme from The Adventures of Huck Finn in there, in its entirety, in "Charles Meets Salem" - wonderful piece. Wonder if it's even by Conti, though (you can never be sure with him).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011
    The film music proms concert were a great experience. Great performances. I got all emotional during the Cinema paradiso love theme and the theme from Schindler's list. I wish there had been more emotional film music like this, and less bombast in this concert.

The program also had some interviews with David Arnold. I found him fascinating to listen to.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    This may not be of much use to you Peter. but tonight's Spaghetti Western Orchestra Prom is going to be on TV (BBC4?) at the end of this month.

Thanks Alan. Unfortunately I go back to Denmark on the 23. slant

Peter smile
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Next time save time by using this very simple emoticon!

shit

-Erik-

What's the poo for?

Southall wrote
    Roger had a bit of a moan at the Intrada messageboard that the album was too long and shouldn't have been released in that form - perhaps the ultimate film music pot/kettle moment

Glad I'm not the only one that was struck by the irony when reading that post. biggrin

Plindboe wrote
    The program also had some interviews with David Arnold. I found him fascinating to listen to.

You should follow him on Twitter then. It's something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    You should follow him on Twitter then. It's something else.

Have never been on Twitter. Perhaps I should give it a try, and then subscribe (or whatever it is you do on Twitter) to David Arnold.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    The film music proms concert were a great experience. Great performances. I got all emotional during the Cinema paradiso love theme and the theme from Schindler's list. I wish there had been more emotional film music like this, and less bombast in this concert.

FalkirkBairn wrote

Thanks Alan. Unfortunately I go back to Denmark on the 23. slant

Peter smile

I'm at our summer house on Fur between August 18-23. You aren't passing Jylland on your way home?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    I'm at our summer house on Fur between August 18-23. You aren't passing Jylland on your way home?

No, sorry, only in an airplane. smile Hope you'll enjoy the stay though, and that the blasted weather will pick up.

Would be fun to meet up some day for a beer or three, but with my social anxiety I'm not always easy to get out the door.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    High Road to China - John Barry

Very enjoyable, adventure-filled score.