• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    La Fille du Puisatier - Alexandre Desplat

I'm starting to think that Desplat's French scores are better than his American ones...

Definitely, his La fille du puisatier on the other hand (compared to 'a better life' which is good but not good enough) is a small masterpiece. Best score i've heard this year so far.

Yikes, I forgot all about A Better Life, and I still have to check out Tamara Drewe.
  2. Stavroula wrote
    NP: Arabian Nights ~ Richard Harvey

I'm in a middle - eastern mood these days and this one is wonderful! Very well written, full of original ideas! Harvey is such an excellent musician and an exceptional composer very underrated in my opinion!

I'm a big big fan of Richard Harvey, and yet I've listened to Arabian Nights for about 10 times now, and it never grabs me. It's frustrating but I can't seem to like it

He is however a very underrated composer, have you heard his masterpieces Animal Farm and Plague and the Moonflower yet? His Les Deux Mondes is killer stuff too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011 edited
    NP : THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN - Ron Goodwin / Sir William Walton

Two contrasting scores, both are superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    NP: SOUNDSTAGE L.A. (John Williams/various)

The inaugural gala for the Walt Disney Concert Hall a few years ago, with Williams conducting a selection of famous film themes (both his own and others), as well as his whimsical concert piece "Soundings", which is quite good. Sound quality is excellent for a live recording.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : POSSESSION - Gabriel Yared

A stunningly beautiful score, the operatic first track is a showstopper.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek VI - Cliff Eidelman

I know some folks groan at comments like this, but I'm struck again just how far distant film music like this now feels - the grand gestures, the multitude of repeated long-lined themes that sit at the forefront of the film. This has its flaws but is still extremely enjoyable and I do wish Eidelman had managed to get more opportunities.
  3. Maybe it's the forefront that really scares people?

Remember the times when there was a lot less of music in films and the spotting was far more careful? Most recently a piece of ingenious spotting was Super 8, which handled major suspense sequences in total silence. I must say I do have my theory here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Star Trek VI - Cliff Eidelman

I know some folks groan at comments like this, but I'm struck again just how far distant film music like this now feels - the grand gestures, the multitude of repeated long-lined themes that sit at the forefront of the film. This has its flaws but is still extremely enjoyable and I do wish Eidelman had managed to get more opportunities.

A superb score....and yes, we've all been saying the same thing for at least 15 years now: What happened to Eidelman?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote

A superb score....and yes, we've all been saying the same thing for at least 15 years now: What happened to Eidelman?

Some composers get to make an impression on Steven Spielberg or Jerry Bruckheimer. Others get to make an impression on Nicholas Meyer or Leonard Nimoy. From this, all else follows. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    Timmer wrote

Agree! Although I prefer the Goodwin-one.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    RP: 30 Days of Night - Brian Reitzell
    Harsh listening and not a score I'd exactly recommend, although I think it works great in the film. Not music as much as it is sound design. Being a veteran role player, I would however recommend it any day to game masters who want to create a really nasty athmosphere in their games.

RP: The Abyss - Alan Silvestri
    The final three cues are magnificent and the rest is quite good. Interesting that the most straight Silvestri-stuff seems almost out of place. But the final cues are definitely the album's saving graces.

RP: Arachnophobia - Trevor Jones
    A fine score for a fine film. Nice main theme and some very functional underscore, too. Not Jones' finest effort perhaps, but by no means a bad score. A damn shame that the powers that be in Hollywood seem to have lost Trevor Jones' phone number.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    MOGENS! shocked
    Where have you BEEN?
    Was our staff too long? Have we been digging in the wrong place?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Martijn wrote
    MOGENS! shocked
    Where have you BEEN?
    Was our staff too long? Have we been digging in the wrong place?

Going after fortune and glory, kid, fortune and glory. (Didn't find either, though. So I'm back!)
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited
    Dragonheart - Randy Edelman

From the composer who is film music's version of cotton candy, this is an enjoyable score. Sure, the orchestrations are thin and the action isn't anything to write home about, but there is a definite heart to the music. The memorable themes are definitely lovely and whistle-able long after you finish the CD. It's one of his best scores.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote

Agree! Although I prefer the Goodwin-one.

Good to see you man hug

And yeah, I agree with you, though I am exceptionally partial to the ( VERY ) Malcolm Arnold influenced Battle In The Air, an outstanding piece of film music that is brilliantly used in the film, no sound effects, just music and visuals, a film composers dream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Trinity and Beyond: The Atom Bomb Movie - William Stromberg etc

Always a pleasure to hear this amazing collection of cues from a very interesting doco.
    Stromberg, Morgan and team at there best here IMHO. cool
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Shrine - Ryan Shore

At last!.................A dud from Moviescore Media/Screamworks that is.
    I love Shore's past work but this is about as uninteresting as anything I've heard in ages.

Now onto Marco Beltrami's Mimic.

Not sure how an expanded release would play out - perhaps the 30 quality mins here are perfect enough (as with The Faculty). That open titles piece is still great as are the few idiosyncratic pounding action cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SPACE CAMP (John Williams)

Sorry, I'm gonna keep at it with the Williamses for some time yet. This is an OK-ish score with a couple of highlight cues, but is as a whole rather disappointing. Seems to meander a bit. Love the pop beat of "Training Montage", though, in all its cheesiness.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Sorry, I'm gonna keep at it with the Williamses for some time yet. This is an OK-ish score with a couple of highlight cues, but is as a whole rather disappointing. Seems to meander a bit. Love the pop beat of "Training Montage", though, in all its cheesiness.

I never bothered with the CD to this score, I bought it on LP when it was released and was really disappointed, I tried multiple times to get into it with no success, a rare Williams 'miss' for me.
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited
    I just did a Mission:Impossible marathon while writing.

I started of with Lalo, still as funky as the day it was recorded. Elfman's score is one of my favorite albums ever! The music is to big for any film, but as a cd it is vivacious! With Zimmer I'm not sure what's going on. I like the first rock-track, but because of the rock. As for the rest, it sounds like bad Schlager doing exotics.

And now Giacchino's. Nice album, well functioning score. The lack of front bench themes make it a score tough to get behind. I can see its benefits. It just doesn't engage me. If you now what I mean.
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA - The Cinematic Orchestra

Jazz/electronica chill out, wonderful stuff.

cool

I've put this here as apparantly they composed this for some silent Russian film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay, I feel like listening to something that makes my ears bleed......

NP : TOTAL RECALL - Jerry Goldsmith

Total brilliance! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

I think the score is FANTASTIC! One of Williams' most under appreciated... as confirmed by Thor above... wink Rousing themes, brilliant suspense music, great fanfares, a finale that is among one of the best Williams has ever composed! Great, GREAT, GREAT score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sometimes it's not easy to explain these things Erik, that score just doesn't resonate with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Arabian Nights ~ Richard Harvey

I'm in a middle - eastern mood these days and this one is wonderful! Very well written, full of original ideas! Harvey is such an excellent musician and an exceptional composer very underrated in my opinion!

I'm a big big fan of Richard Harvey, and yet I've listened to Arabian Nights for about 10 times now, and it never grabs me. It's frustrating but I can't seem to like it

I find that many of Harvey's scores benefit immensely from a little trimming. Bringing these 70-odd minute CDs down to a well chosen 40-45 minute one really brings home how fine a composer he really is!

Timmer wrote
    Sometimes it's not easy to explain these things Erik, that score just doesn't resonate with me.

Yup, I find myself never returning to this score either.
    I just really don't find it all that interesting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Alexandre Desplat - New Moon

The only thing I'll ever have to do with this saga...

Great score, beautiful thematic material especially the main theme and the action music is quite good!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS ON CHURCH ORGAN (John Rose, organist)

And so I'm into my STAR WARS albums. First off is this weird curiousity album with the famous themes performed by John Rose on some church organ somewhere (forgot its name). It's quite fascinating, and many of the cues actually work very well in this setting!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHINATOWN - Jerry Goldsmith

Quite rightly regarded as a classic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yup, I find myself never returning to this score either.
    I just really don't find it all that interesting.

I don't listen to it all that often, but I enjoy it when I do. A couple of really good cues. It's obviously not Star Wars / Superman etc - seems like a "diet" version of them really.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - New Moon

The only thing I'll ever have to do with this saga...

Great score, beautiful thematic material especially the main theme and the action music is quite good!

Me too. But also, Shore's score is good.