• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just finished

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

What a brilliant album. It was a first listen and it was a masterpiece. What a great one. Cluster One is a particular favourite.

Agree! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I wonder how can anybody who likes Cluster One dislike Thelma and Louise, which makes use of a similar soundscape in its more reflective part (as the Thunderbird cue showcases)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lark Ascending Ralph Vaughan Williams

There's a few notes in here that Hans Zimmer himself has surely used throughout his career.
  2. Not sure smile Hans didn't refer to the piece, sadly, anytime.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wonder how can anybody who likes Cluster One dislike Thelma and Louise, which makes use of a similar soundscape in its more reflective part (as the Thunderbird cue showcases)

Quite true and I like that piece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not sure smile Hans didn't refer to the piece, sadly, anytime.

And because he didn't refer it, that means......?
  3. That he didn't rip that particular Vaughan Williams piece off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I fear my above post may have been taken a little too literally.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    The Lark Ascending Ralph Vaughan Williams

There's a few notes in here that Hans Zimmer himself has surely used throughout his career.

Well, I thought it was amusing.

I'm not sure how many people realise that what you said is indisputable FACT! biggrin
  4. NP: Piano Music (Douwe Eisenga)

I'm very grateful for spotify. This is the sort of work I really wouldn't have come across any other way. The piece 'Cloud Atlas' (inspired by the novel) for 2 pianos, is just my kind of minimalism.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    NP : LOW - David Bowie & Brian Eno

love
  5. I've so enjoyed listening to this piece today.

Cloud Atlas (Douwe Eisenga)
    http://www.douweeisenga.nl/Douwe_Eiseng … Atlas.html (with 2 soundclips)

Sort of like a halfway point between Michael Nyman and Greensleeves. There's also a lovely version for two pianos. Both available via iTunes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    Zero relation to the movie I guess ?
  6. It's related to the book. It was part of a project to construct a piece of music from six composers in the same structure as the novel, and featured excerpts read by the author in between sections, I think. Eisenga's section is probably the most lyrical.
  7. Portishead - Dummy

I first heard Roads, my first foray into trip hop, when a friend told me to get it for her. It instantly became one of my all-time favourite tracks. I promised myself that I'd get more into the genre, but never did that before earlier this year. And I am quite a huge fan of it. Beautiful, really, very moody, I love the sounds. What I know is two albums of Massive Attack (Mezzanine and Protection) and this is my first listen to Dummy, which is also great... I can't express how beautiful a song Roads is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2012
    Two members of Massive Attack were in the pub I was in tonight.
  8. Can I touch your hand? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The Passion of Ramakrishna - Philip Glass

Big choral and orchestral work closer in style to Symphony No.5 than Itaipu, but fans of either of those will probably enjoy this.

It's on iTunes now, with a CD to follow in mid-October.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Two members of Massive Attack were in the pub I was in tonight.

I wouldn't bathe after that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: The Passion of Ramakrishna - Philip Glass

Big choral and orchestral work closer in style to Symphony No.5 than Itaipu, but fans of either of those will probably enjoy this.

It's on iTunes now, with a CD to follow in mid-October.

Sounds like a must have for me then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why is this thread Part oo? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    RE: MASSIVE ATTACK

I've known them for many, many years, we're not good friends or anything like that but always have a little catch up when meeting socially. It was good to see Robert ( 3D ) last night, I hadn't seen him for a long time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Why is this thread Part oo? biggrin

It's meant to be the infinity sign because this thread is so slow there's no need for it to be a Part IV, V, VI etc etc....

A bit of a lame attempt but so far no one figured how to do it.
  9. Would this be any good?

The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Would this be any good?

I'll try it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nope! I tried something else unless you know how to get that symbol in the tread title?
  10. So "∞" doesn't work? (I may have already suggested this as it is the obvious suggestion.)

A question directed to the computer-literate: Why does copying something from the character map not work in the title of a topic when it works in the posts?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. I have finished listening to Max Richter's recomposed Vivaldi's four seasons.

I can only say I listened to it three consecutive times and I have a new favourite cd for the moment.
    For me it works great.
    It uses elements of the Four Seasons (Duh) but in such a way that it becomes a completely different piece.
    But on the other hand it sets the mood for you to listen to the original four seasons again and listen to that piece with more interest as well.

For me this album is a big win...

I'm in love, and I won't hide it wink.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  12. I'm looking forward to hearing that one.

Currently spending a lot of time with The Piano Files (Douwe Eisenga).