• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

One of my very favourite albums, just chock full of excellent musicianship and great melody.

Check out this lovely track also featuring Belgian harmonica virtuoso Toots Thielemans, it's very film music-like and I think some of you here will enjoy it.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER

The album features quite a few tracks that are orchestral, members of the LSO no less cool

SEE THE WORLD

Just one of those tracks that makes me feel good when I listen to it, Metheny's guitar playing on this is sublime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Arvo Pärt - Symphony no. III

Arvo Pärt has always been one of my personal favourites. Recently I listened to the brilliant pieces that are Tabula Rasa and the Für Alina album (three repetitions of Spiegel im Spiegel intertwined with two repetitions of the eponymous piece, a very calming, meditative work, both of them). This is my introduction to what is regarded as the transitional work in his life. The first part was beautiful, now on the second one and it's really great.

I haven't listened to classical music for ages, great to get back some of that mood.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Arvo Pärt - Symphony no. III

Arvo Pärt has always been one of my personal favourites. Recently I listened to the brilliant pieces that are Tabula Rasa and the Für Alina album (three repetitions of Spiegel im Spiegel intertwined with two repetitions of the eponymous piece, a very calming, meditative work, both of them). This is my introduction to what is regarded as the transitional work in his life. The first part was beautiful, now on the second one and it's really great.

I haven't listened to classical music for ages, great to get back some of that mood.

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I also listened to Pärt recently, namely his "Berliner Messe". Beautiful piece, and a little bit of holiday spirit as well -- in a contemporary style.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Tomorrow I intend to listen to the Los Angeles symphony.
  3. My niece is playing christmas carols on the piano. Very nice!
    It's snowing outside, we've made a little fire in the chimney. Cosy!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Arvo Pärt - Los Angeles Symphony (aka Symphony no. IV)

This is his most recent piece a symphony he wrote 2 years ago, commissioned by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra (called LAPhil. often). It's conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen. The album also features a part of his Kanon Pokajanen piece, but this time I am only listening to the symphony, I need to listen to the Kanon though.

This is my first listen, but I really like it. I'm on the second part.
  5. So I needed some couterpoint to Shores VERY FINE score for the Hobbit.

"The Whole of the Moon - The Music of the Waterboys"

"Glastonbury Song" one song I can listen to very loud on heavy rotation!

There is a green hill far away
    I'm going back there on fine day
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012
    Nice action cues in there indeed. A bit too many 'underscore' pieces that are snoozing on Cd.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Nice action cues in there indeed. A bit too many 'underscore' pieces that are snoozing on Cd.

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I was talking about the overlong release for Hobbit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    I was talking about the overlong release for Hobbit

Good for you. But in the right thread next time eh mighty one? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But he talked about Hobbit one post above mine?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    But he talked about Hobbit one post above mine?

Oh well, I'm one of the least people who should complain about going off topic rolleyes wink
  6. Barclay James Harvest "Live Tapes" (remastered and expanded). Soooo awsome! punk

http://www.amazon.de/Tapes-Expanded-Rem … amp;sr=1-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDC6nnZ8KjM
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012
    I want some classic pop and I want it NOW!

NP : THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION - The Kinks

Yeah man punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012 edited
    NP : 60's 70's POP COMPILATION - Varied Artists

My own personal compilation made up of favourite tracks from the likes of Barry Ryan, Cupid's Inspiration, Petula Clark, The Rolling stones, The Beatles, Traffic, The Byrds, Cream, Dusty Springfield, T-Rex, The Who, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music, Queen, David Bowie and many, many more cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012 edited
    NP: ANDREW POWELL AND THE PHILHARMONIA ORCHESTRA PLAY THE BEST OF THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT (The Alan Parsons Project)

Phew, what a title! There's some really good orchestrations by Powell here, even though many of the tracks fall into the 'pop beat' trap that many orchestra-plays-rock albums do. The only exception is the hautning "What Goes Up", which has a very film music vibe.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2012
    German Requiem - Johannes Brahms

Seemed appropriate.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote

Seemed appropriate.

Indeed, and a lovely work too.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    Josh B wrote

Seemed appropriate.

Indeed, and a lovely work too.

It's a masterpiece. It's one of those things so sublime that it's hard to believe it came from the mind of a mere mortal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hard to argue with that Josh beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : NEW WORLD SYMPHONY - Antonin Dvorak

cool
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Four Last Songs - Richard Strauss, performed by Gundula Janowitz

Ravishing.
  7. Jean Michel Jarre "Chronolgy"
    One the bg ones for sure. Chronology pt. 4 just tore my neighbours out of their hinbanation. That cue has to be played loud, very loud!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXC-QZcyBQ

punk beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Jean Michel Jarre "Chronolgy"
    One the bg ones for sure. Chronology pt. 4 just tore my neighbours out of their hinbanation. That cue has to be played loud, very loud!

punk beer punk

I'm a JM Jarre completist myself (I've seen him 5 times live and own everything he ever did), and CHRONOLOGIE came out at the height of my JMJ exploration period back in 1993. I still have a soft spot for it, even though some parts of it are a bit dated and others a bit too commercially oriented. I love the Pet Shop Boys-style riff in Chronologie IV, which you linked to.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

punk beer punk

I'm a JM Jarre completist myself (I've seen him 5 times live and own everything he ever did), and CHRONOLOGIE came out at the height of my JMJ exploration period back in 1993. I still have a soft spot for it, even though some parts of it are a bit dated and others a bit too commercially oriented. I love the Pet Shop Boys-style riff in Chronologie IV, which you linked to.
    "

ChronologIE"! shame

I own his regular releases, but not the more obscure things like "Geometry of Love". Sadly, I never saw him live, but I watched his Monaco concert on TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

punk beer punk

"

ChronologIE"! shame

I own his regular releases, but not the more obscure things like "Geometry of Love". Sadly, I never saw him live, but I watched his Monaco concert on TV.

GEOMETRY OF LOVE is great, as is SESSIONS 2000. Proves that he can do some pretty cool ambient/non-commercial stuff these days too, not only albums like TEO & TEA (which was a disappointment overall).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Timmer wrote

cool

God but I love that piece. What version?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

God but I love that piece. What version?

One of three versions I have but probably not surprisingly I went for Herbert Von Karajan's version.