• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    Complete Works - Chopin

This could take a while. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013
    NP : FELT MOUNTAIN - Goldfrapp

Incredible first album, one of my most played of the 00's ( that includes scores ), though subsequent albums had their moments nothing lived up to this debut.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013
    Piano Concerto No. 1 - Bela Bartok

This is so good. I'm not a big Bartok listener so I have a lot of his music to get exposed to. This primal, percussive sound greatly influenced a lot of film composers (especially Goldsmith).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013
    NP : UTAIPU - Philip Glass

super awesome!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013
    NP: THE FOUR SEASONS (Antonio Vivaldi)

Perhaps one of the most overplayed classical "evergreens" of all time, but still a solid piece of music in all its deceptive simplicity!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Perhaps one of the most overplayed classical "evergreens" of all time, but still a solid piece of music in all its deceptive simplicity!

It's a lovely work and a no-brainer as to why it's so popular but it is a work I often overlook when reaching for a classical play.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

It's a lovely work and a no-brainer as to why it's so popular but it is a work I often overlook when reaching for a classical play.

I own the recording featuring Anne-Sophie Mutter and the Vienna Philharmonics conducted by Herbert von Karajan on EMI Classics. Outstanding!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Baroque music isn't really my thing but I'll admit the Four Seasons is a pleasure of mine. Oftentimes, those overplayed classical pieces get on my nerves (Fur Elise, the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata) but this isn't one of those cases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

Incredible first album, one of my most played of the 00's ( that includes scores ), though subsequent albums had their moments nothing lived up to this debut.

Superb album. Will have to give this a spin later.

Alison Goldfrapp would be my first choice for a Bond song, hands down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited
    Josh B wrote
    Baroque music isn't really my thing but I'll admit the Four Seasons is a pleasure of mine. Oftentimes, those overplayed classical pieces get on my nerves (Fur Elise, the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata) but this isn't one of those cases.

shocked

I'm glad I'm not like you. No matter how often certain pieces are played in pop culture it doesn't affect my enjoyment of them. Für Elise is still fantastic, and the first movement from Moonlight sonata remains an all-time favourite.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    plindboe wrote
    Josh B wrote

shocked

I'm glad I'm not like you. No matter how often certain pieces are played in pop culture it doesn't affect my enjoyment of them. Für Elise is still fantastic, and the first movement from Moonlight sonata remains an all-time favourite.

Peter smile

In all fairness, the first movement of the Moonlight is an established masterpiece. I just wish that I'd hear the other two movements more often in pop culture. wink

(On the other hand, Für Elise is relatively minor Beethoven that somehow got a foothold.)
  2. Max Richter - Vivaldi's Four Seasons Recomposed

For many, the very idea of this will be a kind of sacriliege. To not just remix a classical piece, but essentially rewrite it using similar building blocks from a different compositional perspective. I love it though -- one of the best things Richter has done. Kudos to Deutsche Grammophon for getting behind it. Makes me want to hear more of this sort of thing. (Osvaldo Golijov does a Mozart piano concerto... Thomas Ades redoes Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker suite...)

EDIT -- Just noticed Thor was listening to the original earlier today! Coincidence much.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Superb album. Will have to give this a spin later.

Alison Goldfrapp would be my first choice for a Bond song, hands down.

Definitely! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Josh B wrote
    In all fairness, the first movement of the Moonlight is an established masterpiece. I just wish that I'd hear the other two movements more often in pop culture. wink

I'm glad we agree on the 1st. I've always found the 2nd movement a bit inconsequential. The 3rd however is pure bliss, though I can understand why it hasn't achieved the fame of the first movement.

Josh B wrote
    (On the other hand, Für Elise is relatively minor Beethoven that somehow got a foothold.)

Für Elise has the perfect melody to my ears. It's not really possible to explain why these notes in this succession appeals so much to my brain, they just do.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I'm glad we agree on the 1st. I've always found the 2nd movement a bit inconsequential. The 3rd however is pure bliss, though I can understand why it hasn't achieved the fame of the first movement.

I think it's more a matter of placing it in context. Sure, it's somewhat lightweight on its own but stuck in between those two heavy movements, it helps balance them. It was very much a structural decision on Beethoven's part.

Für Elise has the perfect melody to my ears. It's not really possible to explain why these notes in this succession appeals so much to my brain, they just do.

Peter smile

To give it credit, it's a *great* teaching piece, especially for pedal technique. I had to learn it myself as a kid and when I start teaching (soon), I'll probably subject other people to it. With evil glee. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FINLANDIA - Jean Sibelius

One of my favourites, this version is Paavo Berglund and the Helsinki Philharmonic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KULLERVO - Jean Sibelius

Brilliant!
  3. Which performance of Finlandia do you recommend the most? Sibelius is a composer I hardly know and I heard that work I think only once, I need to get back to it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Which performance of Finlandia do you recommend the most? Sibelius is a composer I hardly know and I heard that work I think only once, I need to get back to it.

I'm no expert on Sibelius and am not familiar enough with the different versions I have but I'd suggest that you can't go far wrong with Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin Phil. I wonder if Tom would like to chip in here?

Sibelius is a wonderful composer and I would suggest all his symphonies and Tone Poems.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Max Richter - Vivaldi's Four Seasons Recomposed

For many, the very idea of this will be a kind of sacriliege. To not just remix a classical piece, but essentially rewrite it using similar building blocks from a different compositional perspective. I love it though -- one of the best things Richter has done. Kudos to Deutsche Grammophon for getting behind it. Makes me want to hear more of this sort of thing. (Osvaldo Golijov does a Mozart piano concerto... Thomas Ades redoes Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker suite...)

EDIT -- Just noticed Thor was listening to the original earlier today! Coincidence much.

This is pretty much all I've listened to the last few days. Really liking it. smile

On Sibelius -- 'Swan of Tuonella' is an amazing tone poem.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2013
    ...and my absolute favourite of his Michael.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013
    NP : DEBASEMENT TAPES - John Langley

Really good stuff, chilled out industrial sounds with a strong film music vibe, sounds quite original and I'll take it over many of todays film score releases.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013 edited
    NP : SCYTHIAN SUITE - Sergei Prokofiev

Stunning work of ferocious barbarity that plays so much like a film score.

I used to have this on in the background years ago while reading Robert E, Howard's Conan books cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.572705

Since I review for Naxos I can heartily recommend the New Zealand Symphony conducted by Inkinen for his tone poems and symphonies. Shop around because you can get excellent buys on Naxos.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  5. sdtom wrote
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.572705

Since I review for Naxos I can heartily recommend the New Zealand Symphony conducted by Inkinen for his tone poems and symphonies. Shop around because you can get excellent buys on Naxos.
    Tom

Have they been doing any film music after the departure of William T. Stromberg and his team?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013
    NP: VISSARION SHEBALIN a new composer for me on Toccata Classics. A contemporary of Shostakovich, also condemned in 1948 this Orchestral Suite not only has the heavy sound of Russia but a cabaret/night club sound of the 1930's. The orchestra Omsk is in Siberia and the birthplace of Vissarion.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013 edited
    I was just listening to this on YT and am very impressed, another CD I must get.

"STORM" CHRISTOPHER GUNNING

love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013 edited
    NP : STARS END - David Bedford

An awesome work. Two of my esteemed friends at this board didn't like it and called it "artsy-fartsy", each to their own opinion and maybe they're right but "artsy-fartsy" or not this is a darn fine avant garde work, I can't really explain why I love it so much, maybe it's the subtle orchestral palette of colours, a work that builds you up and knocks you down again....a trip through the universe? An idiots delight? I dunno!

See what you think ( if you dare? )

STARS END

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra featuring Mike Oldfield and conducted by Vernon Handley
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STARS END - David Bedford
    Two of my esteemed friends at this board didn't like it and called it "artsy-fartsy", each to their own opinion and maybe they're right

Yeah. Maybe. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013
    I can feel the love already cool wink