• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    I can feel the love already cool wink

Aren't you supposed to be in a pub right now with your friends? Or are you one of those who will never let go of their smartphones even when hanging out with real people?

biggrin

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013
    Quiz starts at 9:00, I'll be off in a few minutes smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Quiz starts at 9:00, I'll be off in a few minutes smile

Enjoy yourself!
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I can feel the love already cool wink

Aren't you supposed to be in a pub right now with your friends? Or are you one of those who will never let go of their smartphones even when hanging out with real people?

biggrin

Volker

But the people at the other end of smartphones (and messageboards) are real people...they're just somewhere else!

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013 edited
    I dunno....some of the people on some of the boards I've been quite moved to subject to a Turing test from time to time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    I dunno....some of the people on some of the boards I've been quite moved to subject to a Turing test from time to time.

A "Turing Test"? No, that doesn't compute.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

A "Turing Test"? No, that doesn't compute.

Quite interesting. Look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013
    NP: OBOE CONCERTO (John Williams)

Released just a few days ago on iTunes, on his 81st birthday (February 8). Lovely piece -- especially the second movement which taps into his pastoral writing. Few write better for woodwinds than Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: OBOE CONCERTO (John Williams)

Released just a few days ago on iTunes, on his 81st birthday (February 8). Lovely piece -- especially the second movement which taps into his pastoral writing. Few write better for woodwinds than Williams.

Very true. In so many ways John Williams is the natural successor to Vaughan Williams, his writing in the woodwinds, brass and particularly strings is very reminiscent yet at the same time I've never heard him directly crib from Vaughan Williams like some other composers have, mentioning no names wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013
    James Horner
  6. Timmer wrote
    James Horner

face-palm-mt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013
    Variations on a Theme by Frank Bridge - Benjamin Britten

Great piece. Britten was an expert at writing for a string orchestra and this music has all his early career trademarks.
  7. Driving home I listened to The Dire Strait's "Telegraph Road". Perfect song for driving!

cool punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Driving home I listened to The Dire Strait's "Telegraph Road". Perfect song for driving!

cool punk beer

Epic song! LOVE OVER GOLD is the best album they ever did, bar none. And really the only one I still keep playing now and then.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The Kick Inside by Kate Bush 1978

A really astounding rock album. "Wuthering Hights" is one of the best rock songs ever!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    The Kick Inside by Kate Bush 1978

A really astounding rock album. "Wuthering Hights" is one of the best rock songs ever!

Volker

I love Kate Bush love An incredible musician, unique, original and hugely influential, the woman is a genius.
  9. Turn of the Tide by Barclay James Harvest

BJH: A British prog rock band, my all time favourite! They experianced the hight of their success during the late 70s and early 80s. Superstar status in Germany, moderately popular in the UK, almost unknown (but not quite) in the US. I'm gonna see a remnant of the band live next month.

Today I recieved the said album in its remastered form. Only one album left to get that treatment. BJH is the only band of which I own every single sound ever released.
  10. Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

One of the most beautiful pieces of music I ever heard in my life. Just so soothing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

One of the most beautiful pieces of music I ever heard in my life. Just so soothing.

love beer

Did you know RVW studied under Max Bruch while in Berlin in the late 1800's? A very different beast but I'd recommend Bruch's Violin Concerto # 1, another piece that takes a true virtuoso to play. He later studied with Maurice Ravel. I think you can hear a hint of both composers influence in 'Lark'.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013
    Owen Wingrave - Benjamin Britten

Sticking with Britten for a while, this opera is fairly obscure, written for television and rarely performed on stage. There's some very interesting music in it, very effective orchestrations. Late Britten is so sparse and yet raw to the bone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/o … sshebalin/

I've been quiet lately not feeling well at all but I hope I'm on the mend.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope you feel better soon Tom.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013 edited
    NP : THE ANTIDOTE - Ronny Jordan

Excellent jazz album.

Here's his version of the Miles Davis composition...

SO WHAT

Corking version it is too. Tom, check it out. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    Using your word corking I just received a new symphonic Ellington album and it is exactly that.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  11. Catch the Spirit: The Complete Anthology - Mostly Autumn

Whoever likes Pink Floyd and that ilk of progressive rock can do no wrong with Mostly Autumn. Great rock music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2013
    NP: LORD HERBERT OF CHERBURY'S LUTE BOOK (Lord Herbert of Cherbury)

Nothing like a little medieval lute music to counter a hangover...only problem is the neighbour downstairs playing crappy music really loud.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013
    NP: LIEBE IST FÜR ALLE DA (Rammstein)

I'm getting pissed at the idiot neighbour downstairs who keeps playing the same crappy song over and over again really loud -- and has been doing it all week -- so I'm countering it with Rammstein.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013 edited
    Mandolin Concerto - Hummel

Hummel is a composer that posterity hasn't been terribly kind to but he wrote some very charming music and I've been enjoying an afternoon of listening to some of his works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013 edited
    Cut The World - Antony & The Johnsons

Antony's fragile, aethereal singing style remains very much an acquired taste (or something that one really likes. Or really despises. I happen to fall in the former group), but the songs on his latest 2012 album -aside from the surprising and rather out of place monologue on the moon and its effects on mental health in track 2- seem to cater a bit more to more generic tastes than any of the previous albums.

All the melancholy is still there (not entirely surprising with an album title like this), but the compositions and arrangements seem to be far more accessible. I still like it, quite a bit even, but its more generic appeal both strengthens and weakens this release. It's a strong side as it is sure to draw in more than your moody niche crowd.
    It's weaker than earlier outings as exactly the more jarring shifts in style and tone of earlier albums made Antony something of an enigma. An extremely hard to peg odd solo stylist, with shards of genius and echoes of pathetic dismal ostentatiousness. This side is dampened, and while the average quality of the tracks is trsonger, there is no true standout, or even any track that really, truly 'cuts the world'.

This is a very good album.
    It's full of strong melody lines and melancholy.
    And it's clean. It's exactly what we've been led to expect from Antony, but with any inappropriate, inexplicable little impurities neatly polished away.

EDIT: Ah! Upon a bit more research this turns out to be a live album of a performance Antony Hegarty did with the Danish National Chamber Orchestra, which explains the more audience-friendly almost Mike Batt-like feel.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. NP: Rothko Chapel - Morton Feldman

I needed something different to John Ottman's Jack The Giant Slayer and Feldman's "Rothko Chapel" could be as far removed from that as is possible!

BBC4 here in the UK has been charting "classical music" in the 20th Century in a three-part series entitled "The Sound and The Fury". This week - the final episode - was mostly concerned with the latter years of the 20th Century; from the 1950s to the turn of the century (and the response to serialism, etc). People like Terry Riley, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, John Cage, Arvo Pärt and George Benjamin all featured but it was Morton Feldman and particularly his "Rothko Chapel" that caught my attention.

I've never heard of Feldman until now but his style of almost floating music, slowly building and evolving here in this piece is quite appealing. I'll need to further investigate this composer's work.

Linking things back to film scoring, apparently Feldman was to write the score for Something Wild but he was taken off the project when director heard the music he had composed for the opening scene. The job of scoring this film eventually went to Aaron Copland. Also, the second movement of "Rothko Chapel" was used in the film Shutter Island.