• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013 edited
    I haven't seen this last episode yet but I am reasonably familiar with Feldman's work, a bit too minimalist for my taste.

Martijn, I love Antony, a very unique artist, Mel's a big fan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen this last episode yet but I am reasonably familiar with Feldman's work, a bit too minimalist for my taste.

I just found a CD featuring some of his music for film. Looks like there's some thematic material from Something Wild as well as music from his scores for Jackson Pollock and The Sin of Jesus.

Sounds like something I would like - and a bit of a change from the cacophony of today. wink

This last episode (sub-headed as "Easy Listening" I think) is another good episode. Last week's was also good - but I wouldn't want to listen to much of the music!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013 edited
    Mass in B-minor J.S. Bach

Not a big Bach fan but I have a gigantic Spotify playlist of all of EMI's "Recordings of the 20th Century" and it's in alphabetical order so I've been listening to a lot of this guy lately. Very good performance by Klemperer and the music is appropriately dour but it just doesn't touch my soul.

(Beethoven is up next and as he's one of my favorites, I suspect I'll be in music nirvana soon...)
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013
    Egmont Overture - Beethoven

See? What did I tell you? Back to Beethoven! I'm not hugely familiar with this piece but it has Beethoven written all over. Big, bomastic, just the way I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Josh B wrote
    Not a big Bach fan

Beg pardon? uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Martijn wrote
    Josh B wrote
    Not a big Bach fan

Beg pardon? uhm

You heard me. :p Baroque music in general leaves me very cold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OOooooooohhhhh! Why you no-good ferschlugginer knucklenose OOOoooooooo Why I oughta OOooooooooo!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013
    I knew you'd react Martijn lol

....quite rightly so I might add! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    You can imagine how much fun it was getting my degree in music. I had to play plenty of Bach and I tended to sleepwalk through the music. Fortunately, I also got to play lots of music I loved too so it evened out in the end. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Max Richter - Vivaldi's Four Seasons Recomposed

For many, the very idea of this will be a kind of sacriliege. To not just remix a classical piece, but essentially rewrite it using similar building blocks from a different compositional perspective. I love it though -- one of the best things Richter has done. Kudos to Deutsche Grammophon for getting behind it. Makes me want to hear more of this sort of thing. (Osvaldo Golijov does a Mozart piano concerto... Thomas Ades redoes Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker suite...)

EDIT -- Just noticed Thor was listening to the original earlier today! Coincidence much.

This is pretty much all I've listened to the last few days. Really liking it. smile

I discovered this too last week. Wonderful album.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Grmbl grmbl grmbl
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What's wrong? uhm

Listening to the album Antony and the Johnsons that you reviewed above. A few songs in (and the completely odd monologue!) and I like it! A very special voice indeed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    What's wrong? uhm

Vivaldi Deconstructed. It just irks me.
    I've heard it. It's not a bad album at all. But damn, man. It's bloody Vivaldi! I just can't wrap my head around the concept of deconstructing The Four Seasons.

Listening to the album Antony and the Johnsons that you reviewed above. A few songs in (and the completely odd monologue!) and I like it! A very special voice indeed.

Cool! Did you hear anything by him before?
  2. I always liked the Play Bach albums by Jacques Loussier. He did The Four Seasons, too.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013
    Impromptu in G-flat major - Franz Schubert

I adore this piece. I think I'm going to start working on it. At the very least, it's a great piece to work on finger independence.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2013
    NP : 50 WORDS FOR SNOW - Kate Bush

Superb album though it took some time for me to "warm" to it.

Wild Man
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2013
    Piano Sonata No. 8 "Pathetique" - Ludwig van Beethoven

Just call me consistent. wink Barenboim is playing the hell out of this piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    I've heard it. It's not a bad album at all. But damn, man. It's bloody Vivaldi! I just can't wrap my head around the concept of deconstructing The Four Seasons.

It's recomposed, not deconstructed. biggrin

I don't think so. Anyway, I'm really liking his music, not everything but most of it is really nice and quite melodic often, and not always as dark as it might seem from the covers and all. I love the second half of Epilepsy is Dancing!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

It's recomposed, not deconstructed. biggrin

I don't think so. Anyway, I'm really liking his music, not everything but most of it is really nice and quite melodic often, and not always as dark as it might seem from the covers and all. I love the second half of Epilepsy is Dancing!

Here's a little from Wiki...

Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons (2012)

Richter’s recomposed version of Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons was premiered in the UK at the Barbican on 31 October 2012, performed by the Britten Sinfonia, conducted by André de Ridder and with violinist Daniel Hope.[12] Although Richter said that he discarded 75% of Vivaldi’s original material,[13] the parts he does use are phased and looped, emphasising his grounding in postmodern and minimalist music.[14] The album topped the iTunes classical chart in the U.K, Germany and the U.S [15]

Personally I quite like the work. I wonder if the quote above has put a seal of death on it for Martijn? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Today is the 67th birthday of one of my all time favourite musicians and guitarist, Dave Gilmour beer

NP : METALLIC SPHERES - The Orb featuring David Gilmour

Fantastic album punk love
  3. Timmer wrote
    Today is the 67th birthday of one of my all time favourite musicians and guitarist, Dave Gilmour beer

Great! So that means I will play now:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Whish You Were Here)
    Hey You (The Wall)
    and
    High Hopes (Divison Bell) performed by Pink Floyd (minus Roger Waters) and Nightwhish

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good choices Volker beer
  4. I also was reminded of this video although it's a composition by Roger Waters: Marillion (with Fish) performing "Whish You Were Here" with only the audiance singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHl4M2D6YUE

I find this incredibly awsome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Great album!

And happy birthday to one of my favourite musicians from one of my alltime favourite bands!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Taking a break from film music today, I think.
    I am listening to some early 70s progressive rock: Pink Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, ELP, King Crimson and whatever comes along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Taking a break from film music today, I think.
    I am listening to some early 70s progressive rock: Pink Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, ELP, King Crimson and whatever comes along.

You can never go wrong with 70s prog!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/in … ead=124764

I'm afraid, nobody over there understood this little joke of mine. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/in … ead=124764

I'm afraid, nobody over there understood this little joke of mine. sad

I never go there but I got it. Good album too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Personally I quite like the work. I wonder if the quote above has put a seal of death on it for Martijn? wink

Not really.
    I do actually rather like it, even though my mind screams it's wrong.
    I kinda liken it to a trip to McDonalds.

NP: M83: Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
    VERY moody, VERY good, and VERY retro.
    If I didn't know any better I would have squarely placed this in 1983 or so.
    Thanks for putting me on the track of this synth-electro-ambipop group, Timmer!wave Excellent stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013
    You're most welcome friend but credit where credit is due and I thank Bregt for pointing the way.