• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013
    Thor wrote
    No, I definitely like jazz. Not all kinds, though. Not that into wild experimental stuff.

What do you like then?

I do have a taste for the "wild side" but I really have to be in the mood. There's an awful lot of brilliant stuff out there but it's a veritable minefield.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013 edited
    Oh, difficult to list.

I like some old-school classics like Calloway, Ellington, Davis, Reinhardt. I like some 'crooner' stuff. I like the cocktail-type loungey stuff a la Mancini. Jazz with some funk elements, like Schifrin's MANNIX. Or other, more contemporary artists like Chico Hamilton (yeah, I know he's been around for a long time), Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter. Dreamy stuff like Terje Rypdal. Maybe some fusion/acid jazz-type things like Weather Report, The Yellowjackets, Mezzoforte. I DEFINITELY like Stan Kenton's stuff -- merging big band jazz with contemporary classical music.

And so on and so forth. It's probably easier to list things I'm not that keen on -- like modern Polish jazz (I like some of Komeda's film music, but his other music can be quite demanding).

In general -- and I think you have gathered this by now -- I tend to prefer "smoother" sounds, whatever music I listen to. Less grit.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good choices thunderer. I would name too many and it covers so many styles.

Have you tried one of my very favourites, Pat Metheny*? I would have thought his melodic style would be to your liking, I think he's one of the best composers out there, film or otherwise.

*Again, like I said earlier about it being a "minefield", there is stuff of Metheny's I loathe with a vengeance like his SONG X with Ornette Coleman, a masterbatery note fest of the kind jazz snobs love.

p.s. Along with Terje Rypdal I would recommend Jan Garbarek though he too can veer into territories I don't like.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I like what I've heard of Metheny. He's done a pretty cool score for PASSAGIO PER IL PARADISO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPgfRdtZUk

Definitely falls in the 'smooth' category.

And of course, Garbarek is familiar to most Norwegians (I like the music of his daughter too....at least some of it!).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The Platinum Collection - Mike Oldfield (Virgin best-of)

Moonlight Shadow
    To France
    Pictures in the Dark (!!!)
    Crime of Passion
    Five Miles Out
    Family Man
    Foreign Affair

These songs always get me in into a enthusiastic frenzy. Glorious! punk

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Secret Wish (1985) - Propaganda

German project with English reinforcement. Superb synth-pop from the heydays of the 80s.

Volker
  3. NP: Magical Mystery Tour (1967)

by the glorious BEATLES!

Actually this is a soundtrack, but it's not really a score. It does not feature in my film music collection. "Help" doesn't either. But "Yellow submarine" does due to the score by George Martin that was included in the remasters edition.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013 edited
    Volker!!!! I just clicked this thread to write that I'm currently listening to the glorious BEATLES!

I have in fact hardly listened to vocal music for about 15 years, but I got in a 60s and 70s mood a month ago and have been listening to this stuff ever since. My journey started with the awesome House of the rising sun. Btw, I love the look of the main singer; who must be the coolest looking dude in the Universe. He looks like he's been up all night drinking, and only had a couple of hours of sleep.

I also dig this song. And then I discovered this gem by this little black kid, a talented singer who died young. And this one is fantastic as well. Same melody as a popular Christian hymn, but it's especially that piano thing that makes the song so great. Oh, and this cute Japanese song which became a huge hit in the western world in '63, I find very lovely. In fact, it made me think that I don't think I've ever heard a song that contains whistling that I didn't like. Oh, and Bobby Vinton's rendition of Blue moon, that's perfectly featured in 'An American werewolf in London' (Perhaps the greatest horror movie of all time).

Oh, and speaking of greatest of all time, here's the greatest love song of all time. I've familiarised myself with several Elvis songs these days. This one and that one must surely be in the top3 of greatest love songs ever. Later I delved into the unique Sam Cooke, the guy with the the softest voice in history. Cupid and Wonderful world are my two favourites, but he has plenty of other gems, many of which he wrote himself.

Now, I'm into The Beatles. There is a plethora of Beatles gems. How a single band could come up with so many gems continues to amaze me. My favourite Beatles song of all time is probably Here comes the sun, which for some reason was never released as a single despite consisting of pure, undiluted awesomeness. Let it be must be my second favourite. Strawberry fields forever, Something, Help!, Yesterday and When I'm sixty-four are not far behind though. Luckily with about 300 songs, they continue to surprise. I've just fallen madly in love with McCartney's The fool on the hill. Since I discovered it earlier today I vaguely remember hearing it as a kid, but had somehow forgotten all about it, so it was a surprising rediscovery. And about an hour ago I fell for Harrison's I me mine. Perhaps not as accomplished as the other tunes, but I love that chorus and the orchestral backing.

Anyway, Harrison should have written more songs. If I take the average of how highly I've rated Beatles songs in itunes, Harrison actually has the highest average score. McCartney second and Lennon third.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013
    Good post. Great links.
    I approve.
    Also, I'm the walrus.
    Googoo g-choob.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. plindboe wrote
    Volker!!!! I just clicked this thread to write that I'm currently listening to the glorious BEATLES!

... spin ...

Peter punk

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    ROBERT VOLKMAN SYMPHONY NO. 1. Someone you might like Timmer.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    sdtom wrote
    ROBERT VOLKMAN SYMPHONY NO. 1. Someone you might like Timmer.
    Tom

Hmmm? Thanks Tom I'll look into it, I've not heard of this composer before.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Good post. Great links.
    I approve.
    Also, I'm the walrus.
    Googoo g-choob.

...some kind of custard? Dripping from a dead dogs eye? ( This track is just pure genius )

Lennon & McCartney also wrote some great songs for other artists such as A WORLD WITHOUT LOVE for Peter and Gordon.

( Peter Asher is the brother of McCartney's then girlfriend Jane Asher )

p.s. I also add my approval to your post Peter beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Good post. Great links.
    I approve.

beer

Martijn wrote
    Also, I'm the walrus.
    Googoo g-choob.

I haven't really fallen for the walrus song yet I must admit. It's decent, but to me it's an average Beatles song. Same with A day in the life; another song that's considered one of their masterpieces, and where I just don't seem to get it.

Captain Future wrote
    beer

beer

Timmer wrote
    Lennon & McCartney also wrote some great songs for other artists such as A WORLD WITHOUT LOVE for Peter and Gordon.

Cool, hadn't heard that one before. Even though it's performed by another group, it clearly has that early Beatles sound. It almost sounds like Lennon and McCartney doing the singing.

Timmer wrote
    p.s. I also add my approval to your post Peter beer

beer

Peter dizzy< Burp!
  5. That reminds me of the Gibbs borthers who, when the BeeGees weren't in demand any more, would go on composing titles for a ton of other great artists.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    That reminds me of the Gibbs borthers who, when the BeeGees weren't in demand any more, would go on composing titles for a ton of other great artists.

The Gibb's brothers were writing songs for other artists throughout their careers.

Just like The Beatles example above you can hear their stamp on any song they've written for others, just listen to Diana Ross's Chain Reaction for example, you can easily replace her with Barry & Robin etc.
  6. The man... The music... The madness... The murder... The motion picture...

NP: Amadeus - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart et al.
    Sir Neville Marriner & The Academy of St. Martin-In-The-Field

Everything you heard is true ...

Well, actually many things in this film are not, especially the depiction of poor Salieri. Still, I adore this movie.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 - Angel Illaramendi

I like what I hear so far. Very accessable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013
    You got me Tim on this one. I've never even heard of it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    You got me Tim on this one. I've never even heard of it.
    Tom

It's a good piece Tom, if you have Spotify you can hear it there ( that's where I listened to it ). He's also an exceptionally fine film composer ( a rare breed these days ) worth checking out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2013 edited
    NP : BORN TO LAUGH AT TORNADOS - Was (Not Was)

Bloody excellent old school 1980's funky pop, catchy as fook! chicken bhangra

Here's one of the tracks that became a big hit at the time...

SHAKE YOUR HEAD ( LET'S GO TO BED )

So, who can name the 3 very famous people who feature on this single?

Clues:-

One's one of the worlds biggest pop stars ever.

One's a notorious performer with a famous wife you wouldn't mess with.

One's an Oscar winning actress.

No cheating by looking at the comments under the vid. uhm
  7. Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (2013) - Spock's Beard

Man, this one is fantastic! All right, this one is less proggy then yesteryear's releases, less experimental, but it's still highly virtuoso rock music. The Hammond Organ is there, the Melotron is there, beautiful harmonious singing, some vocoder, very hymnic, great artwork... The Last track "Waiting for me" is one big bow to Pink Floyd.
    My proggy heart is leaping with joy!

Volker
  8. NP: Five Miles Out (1982) - Mike Oldfield
    Remaster on Mercury/Universal 2013

The proggy 25 minutes track "Taurus II", formerly vinyl side A, shows Oldfield on top of his art, absolutly gorgeous! The entire album is oustanding!

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013
    A bloody excellent album Captain.
  9. NP: Crises (1983) - Mike Oldfield
    Remaster on Mercury/Universal 2013

A very good album if not as brilliant as it predecessor Five Miles Out. "Moonlight Shadow" is the standout song of course. It topped at No 2 in the German charts and remained in the Top 10 for many weeks. It's quite popular even today. And as Oldfield never went to grate pains to make his vocal artists known let it be said that this song - among others by MO - is sung by Maggy Reilly.
    Roger Chapman and Jon Anderson also feature on this album.

Volker
  10. Sais Mike Oldfield: "Crises"
    Answers Supertramp: "Crisis? What Crisis?"

Ha, ha, what wit!! wink
  11. NP: Anthology - Supertramp

Now they're planning the Crime of the Century ...

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013
    ...not if I put on Miles Davis album You're Under Arrest. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Anthology - Supertramp

Now they're planning the Crime of the Century ...

punk

My alltime favourite band!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    They're okay. ( and some of they're stuff I love )

It's just occurred to me that you and Volker are the only people I know whether in "real life" or on film music forums who are fans.