• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013
    Ye Gods... I feel a sudden urge to put on some Drum'n'Bass.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aaaahhhhh.
    Best thing: it's not proggy at all. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Timmer wrote
    They're okay. ( and some of their stuff I love )

It's just occurred to me that you and Volker are the only people I know whether in "real life" or on film music forums who are fans.

Well, fan ... I have that "Anthology" and "Crime of the Century" on my shelf, one of the best rock albums ever IMHO.

I'm a fan of Barclay James Harvest, The Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, The Moody Blues and classic 70s prog rock.
    I'm a lesser fan of The Beatles and ABBA.
    The rest is far flung.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote

Tread ... carefully.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Tread ... carefully.

Relax, Martijn, my friend. I have all the regular albums of both bands. Nothing apocryphal, though. I just don't listen to their stuff quite as regular as to the other's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    They're okay. ( and some of their stuff I love )

It's just occurred to me that you and Volker are the only people I know whether in "real life" or on film music forums who are fans.

Well, fan ... I have that "Anthology" and "Crime of the Century" on my shelf, one of the best rock albums ever IMHO.

I'm a fan of Barclay James Harvest, The Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, The Moody Blues and classic 70s prog rock.
    The rest is far flung.

Well, then I guess I'm more of a fan of Supertramp than you. I have all of their albums and then some. I also have the same kind of completist relationship to Pink Floyd and The Alan Parsons Project, so we share that. In fact, I find that we have pretty overlapping taste on many things, Volker. BJH, Moody Blues and Oldfield are OK too, although I'm more of an 'appreciator' in that case. Never cared much for Beatles, to be honest, and I really only like Abba's last work (VISITORS and the CHESS musical by Benny and Björn).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Meddle (1971) - Pink Floyd

The longtrack "Echoes" is awesome. Other than that it's not my favourite Floyd. But it's good. Just not outstanding as a whole IMHO.

Cheers!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013
    What's proggy?
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    What's proggy?

Progressive Rock, Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    makes sense
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    NP: The Lord of the Rings ~ The Fellowship of the Ring audio book

I have the whole series, including The Hobbit, read by Robert Inglis. I've read and heard it a million times, but it's a good company while I'm packing and it soothes me.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Lord of the Rings ~ The Fellowship of the Ring audio book

I have the whole series, including The Hobbit, read by Robert Inglis. I've read and heard it a million times, but it's a good company while I'm packing and it soothes me.

Nothing like some familiarity for comfort hug
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For The Lord Of The Rings I cannot recommend the 1981 BBC audio play enough.
    It stars Ian Holm (!) as Frodo, and further features the likes of Michael Hordern, Bill Nighy and John Le Mesurier.
    It is by far my favourite rendition of the trilogy (including the films!) and one of the very best audio plays I've ever listened to (and I've heard hundreds!). Spellbinding from beginning to end.

The lovely, stringbased score by Stephen Oliver is just a treat!
    I adore his main theme, but his O Elbereth Gilthoniel to me is the definitive version.

Honestly, this is as fine and well-produced an audio play series as anyone could ever hope to have.
    Together with the landmark, paradigm-shifting The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy this is a classic to hear for anyone who enjoys this particular art form. For Lord Of The Rings fans it's a no-brainer: it's the top of the list!
  4. Martijn wrote
    For The Lord Of The Rings I cannot recommend the 1981 BBC audio play enough. ...

That is precisely what I was about to post.

beer Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good man!
    Great taste!
    beer
  5. For everyone interested in this radio play:
    The BBC Radio Collection edition seems to be out of print.

The same production is still available from the German Hörbuchverlag. The set contains 10 CDs instead of 14, yet it is unabridged.

http://www.amazon.de/Lord-Rings-H%C3%B6 … +Rings+BBC
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently this is the same version.
    It's just been repackaged and re-issued.
    (I prefer the old packaging though. Much more stylish)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Together with the landmark, paradigm-shifting The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

I remember my Mom who was a massive fan of this ( and she was no sci-fi fan ) continually telling me how good this was and that it was "right up my street". It was quite a few years after the original broadcast before I caught up shame

Mother is always right eh? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, she is. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Is there a reason why this thread is bookmarked?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been listening to the Bloch Symphony all morning and really beginning to get into it.
    Tom
  6. Martijn wrote
    Apparently this is the same version.
    It's just been repackaged and re-issued.
    (I prefer the old packaging though. Much more stylish)

I have a copy of this - not the release you linked to Martijn - and one of the CDs features a selection of Oliver's score for the drama.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Songs of Love and War & Arabesque - Mike Batt

There is something generous and deeply humane yet mixed with melancholy present in Mike Batt's music. It never fails to touch me.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013
    Outside the beautiful "Bright Eyes", I must admit my knowledge of Batt is limited. But after recently having (re)discovered that song, I'm kinda curious to hear what else he's done -- maybe something in the same style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2013
    Oh! I think you'll like his work, Thor.
    Should be right up your alley!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Oh! I think you'll like his work, Thor.
    Should be right up your alley!

yeah

....Hmmm? even if he listen's to THIS Martijn? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2013
    Anything Simon Cowell s connected to is tainted by evil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/09/28/s … inorbloch/

My review of the work. I was so taken with the work that I asked for a digital download of his American suite. I've included part of his biography as he immigrated to the US like Rachmaninoff but settled and died in Oregon.
    Tom
  8. NP: I Robot (1977) - The Alan Parsons Project

This is one awsome album!

punk Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013
    It is indeed. Are you listening to the recent reissue?
    I am extremely serious.