• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Aqualung - Jethro Tull

The music! The music!

punk Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Aqualung - Jethro Tull

The music! The music!

punk Volker

An excellent album. Good choice Captain beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: St. Giles Cripplegate - Jack Nitzsche

Just started thus but so far it's sounding excellent.

http://www.wobc.org/2012/03/review-jack … ipplegate/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/St-Giles-Crippl … ripplegate
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: St. Giles Cripplegate - Jack Nitzsche

Just started thus but so far it's sounding excellent.

http://www.wobc.org/2012/03/review-jack … ipplegate/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/St-Giles-Crippl … ripplegate

It sounds like David Bedford but not quite as assessable. I like it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: A Celtic Romance ~ Jeff and Mychael Danna

My favourite Professor at the University, the one who taught me Yeats, used to play celtic music whenever we had a lesson refering to Yeats' mythic poems. When I came across this I couldn't help but remember... So powerful music, so vivd images, strong memories and oh such a sweet regret for not being 21 anymore, my teacher's favourite student who dreamt of that trip in Ireland that I haven't yet managed.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013
    NP: SIMPLE THINGS - ZERO 7

Found a copy of this in a charity shop earlier today for just 50 pence. I lost my original purchase a couple of years ago but had it ripped to mp3s. It's nice, again, to have a physical copy of one of my favourite albums from the last decade.

Now... time to chill the fuck out.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: SIMPLE THINGS - ZERO 7

Found a copy of this in a charity shop earlier today for just 50 pence. I lost my original purchase a couple of years ago but had it ripped to mp3s. It's nice, again, to have a physical copy of one of my favourite albums from the last decade.

Now... time to chill the fuck out.

cool

... cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This poem was written by Canadian Field Doctor Lt. Col. John McCrae after one of his friends had been killed at Ypres, Belgium.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (Alan Menken)

I'm not even sure if what I have is a film score or a Broadway production (since it was both), but it's awesome nonetheless!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    This poem was written by Canadian Field Doctor Lt. Col. John McCrae after one of his friends had been killed at Ypres, Belgium.

Crikey. An officer, a poet and a rally car driver!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait. That's Colin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

This one always comes in handy...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

I should really have put JP: Just Played.

This work never fails to move me deeply and I'd hope to one day hear it performed live, it's rarely played and I'd presume that's because it's not a "showy" symphony. The version I just played was the very first Vaughan Williams recording I ever bought. Sir Adrian Boult and the London Philharmonic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

This one always comes in handy...

biggrin

Indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013
    NP : SECURITY - Peter Gabriel

Excellent album of World/Experimental Rock from the early 80's ( 82? )

Note to HANS ZIMMER & BRIAN TYLER, now THIS IS DRUMMING, if you can't be arsed to listen to this whole track check it out from about 3.45 for some awesomeness!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

I got my days mixed up yesterday shame

Today is Remembrance Day.

Not quite as appropriate as Symphony# 3, in a moment I shall play Vaughan Williams THE LARK ASCENDING and reflect on the likes of my Dad who thought in WW II.

--------------
  3. The German Rememberance Day (Volkstrauertag) is next Sunday. Luckily my Dad - born 1932 - was too young to get involved in any military action.
    German TV aired a performance of the War Requiem by Benjamin Britten from Coventry a few days ago.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013 edited
    Did you watch it Volker? I think that work is absolutely stunning. I love it but it's not something I can listen to often.

Your Dad was very lucky, even so he'll have had some incredible memories, an appalling yet fascinating time in History, an event that's near incalculable in it's impact on all modern life.
  4. Yes, I did. It's an almost overhelming work. I agree, you can't hear something that massive very often.

My Dad grew up "in the system", never having known anything else. His mother was in support of the regime. (My Grandfather died early.) She helped running a pub, so she had to be very careful about what she said there. My Dad joined the Nazi Youth Organization "Hitler Jugend". He still can sing the songs he learned there. Of cause he never does.

My father grew up in Bochum. He experianced two major bombardements of the city. They would sit in a special room in the basement and listen to the sound of the explosions drawing ever nearer. One time, the neighbouring house got a full hit. My Dad witnessed the screaming suvivours being taken away. That really traumatized him.

My Dad for a long time could not enjoy fireworks like you and I do because the sound of the explosions would remind him of these nights of terror. But he never admitted to it and went with us children anyhow. He didn't want deny us the fun. I would take him till he was 60 to really talk about his feelings.

Dad also experianced the "Kinderlandverschickung". Children in the western cities that were endangered by air strikes were taken away from their parents and sent to foster families in the eastern provinces. In the case of my Dad it was Pomerania. He was very lucky not to be sent as far east as Prussia because when the Soviet Red Army crossed the German border he was spared the full terror of the flight.

My Dad told me many more things. Now that he turned 81 last Saturday he doesn't like to talk about these times any more. I suspect that things he saw and heard back then hassle hime more now that he isn't occupied with other things so much any more.

stopwar Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013 edited
    Thanks for sharing Volker, that was fascinating.

My mother was a young girl in Bristol during the war and remembered the blitz very well, her best friend and her family were wiped out by a direct hit from a bomb. Bristol suffered very heavy bombing.

My Dad, came from a Catholic family of eight brothers and one sister. My Dad fought in North Africa and later in Burma against the Japanese, he was decorated for bravery but I still know very little about his war record. There was a lot he never talked about and a lot he didn't want to talk about, from my mum I know he witnessed the kind of horror that thankfully most of us will never have to experience.

All of my Dads brothers went into service and all of them returned alive.
  5. Thank you , too, Tim.
    I think we should have a thread for such (hi)stories but I don't know how to call it.
  6. NP:
    Metamorphoses (2000) - Jean Michel Jarre
    My favourite is "Love, Love, Love" here.

Voices (1995) - Vangelis
    Here my favourite is "Ask the Mountain", a song of eery beauty.

Both masters experiment with vocals here. For Vangelis of course this wasn't new territory. Two magnificent albums.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013
    Both of those are excellent albums. I particularly love the first (as the JMJ completist that I am).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013
    NP : BLOW BY BLOW - Jeff Beck

love
  7. Wrong thread. This is actually film music.
  8. NP: Timewind (1975) - Klaus Schulze

You like the quiter moments of Oxygene? You'll like this album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013
    Tim,

Do you have any experience with George Enescu?
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No. Tell me more Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you like Debussy you're going to like him. His third symphony was released on Ondine and was composed during World War I. I'm surprised it took me this long to discover him.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!