• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Electonic Realizations for Rock Orchestra (1975) - Synergy (Larry Fast et al.)

One of the best electronica albums ever.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2013
    That sounds ...intriguing?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. It's a bit of a hidden gem. The album gained in poluarity when a part of it was used in Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series (Which will be "updated" in 2014 btw.) A mixture of Vangelis and Kraftwerk, if such a thing is conceivable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    A mixture of Vangelis and Kraftwerk, if such a thing is conceivable.

Very much so.
    I should have a look-out for this one! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I tried that Larry Fast fellow after someone recommended him on FSM (knowing my love of all things electronica). However, it fell rather flat for me, I'm afraid.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZVgZv5DFg

You find that flat? I think it's awsome!
  4. The Beatles 1962-1966

Yeah, yeah, yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZVgZv5DFg

You find that flat? I think it's awsome!

Yeah, I find it rather skimpy, cheap and "ugly". More like random noodlings on a cheap Casio. It doesn't sound remotely like either Kraftwerk or Vangelis, IMO (both of which I adore).

But hey -- we have so similar taste otherwise that we need to have a bit of difference now and then! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. yeah

NP: The Beatles 1967-1970

The safest general characterization of the western tradition of rock music is that it consists of a series of footnotes to The Beatles.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    yeah

NP: The Beatles 1967-1970

The safest general characterization of the western tradition of rock music is that it consists of a series of footnotes to The Beatles.

Both those albums you played = love cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A Copland quote of note on Vaughan Williams. He said of his 5th Symphony being as interesting as watching a cow for 45 minutes, yikes how cruel.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    A Copland quote of note on Vaughan Williams. He said of his 5th Symphony being as interesting as watching a cow for 45 minutes, yikes how cruel.
    Tom

Yeah, I mentioned that quote in the 'quotes' thread recently. Hadn't seen it before, but apparently others had.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2013
    Has anyone heard of the John Wilson orchestra?
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes I have Tom but I don't know much about them other than that they have played The Proms a few times, last time I saw them they were playing musical medleys at the Proms on TV.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCHOOL DAYS - Stanley Clarke

Love this! love It's considered a jazz funk classic and quite rightly so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE RIGHT TO LOVE - AN AMERICAN FAMILY (Edwin Wendler)

Nice, breezy score by Peter Hackman's new 'beau'. (for those who don't know, Peter Hackman is the FSM member who hosts the Fans of Film Music gatherings in LA every year).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wrong side Thorster spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oops.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Easily done, I've done it numerous times too.

It's a shame more people here don't join in on this OT post. It's either because they only play film music or they don't look in here or whatever.

( I feel somewhat thick today )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that's strange. We're mostly a handful of people posting regularly here.

I've been on a long film music roll lately (especially because I have to get through a whole bunch of 2013 promos), so I think I can guarantee you that I'll grow tired eventually and need to play some other stuff. But for right now, it's loads of film music every day.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Quite frankly I find it personally hard to understand how anyone could only listen to film music, and there are a few people on various forums who've stated that they listen to nothing else. Equally I've known a few people who were only into ROCK! and every other kind of music that isn't ROCK! is shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    Has anyone heard of the John Wilson orchestra?
    Tom

I got a promo from Naxos and I must say they're quite good.
    Tom
  6. Timmer wrote
    Quite frankly I find it personally hard to understand how anyone could only listen to film music, and there are a few people on various forums who've stated that they listen to nothing else. Equally I've known a few people who were only into ROCK! and every other kind of music that isn't ROCK! is shit.

Because film music isn't a genre, it's a medium that encompasses pretty much every other genre in existence. Sure, we largely listen to symphonic scores, but we also enjoy jazz scores, rock scores, electronica scores and scores that are a little bit of each blended together. I could spend an entire lifetime listening to nothing but film music (and its various "spinoffs," game, TV, trailer etc.) and probably still not have explored all of the diversity that it has to offer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013 edited
    I wouldn't call film music a medium, but you're right that it's really an umbrella category that encompasses all imagineable styles and genres. That being said, there's always something to be found in music that is composed for its own sake. Like Timmer, I would go mad if I only could listen to film music, whatever style or shape it came in.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
    NP: April In Paris - Count Basie

Great big band style music. The eponymous opening track is a doozie with Basie directing the band into an encore of the last stanza: "one more time" biggrin

Basie's got his band running like a well-oiled machine, hitting all the right harmonies with military precision.
    And MAN, does it swing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    I wouldn't call film music a medium, but you're right that it's really an umbrella category that encompasses all imagineable styles and genres. That being said, there's always something to be found in music that is composed for its own sake. Like Timmer, I would go mad if I only could listen to film music, whatever style or shape it came in.

This might be why I lean toward the classical composer. They seem to write in such a way that they can stand alone as a listening experience.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is appropriate that I'm listening to Walton's Hamlet.
    Tom
  7. I saw footage from the Nelson Mandela memorial ceremony earlier.

NP: We are Growing - Margaret Singana
    From the 1986 TV series Shaka Zulu
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I saw footage from the Nelson Mandela memorial ceremony earlier.

NP: We are Growing - Margaret Singana
    From the 1986 TV series Shaka Zulu

When I heard the news that he had died a few days ago, I played two fantastic Apartheid-themed scores the same evening -- Hans Zimmer's POWER OF ONE and George Fenton/Jonas Gwangwa's CRY FREEDOM. It was surprisingly powerful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
    La Russie Rubinstein. This is a piece that was given no opus number by the composer notes more or less on something that could have been. It could be like a composer writing down some of his ideas for a score and starting all over again. Nice to see material like this come to the surface. Apparently Rubinstein kept everything.
    Tom