• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    NP : THE RITE OF SPRING - Igor Stravinsky

One of THE most influential works blah blah de blah.... and still one of my favourites.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 50 'MT. ST HELENS' - Alan Hovhaness

Starting tranquil and mystical and ending thunderously this is a great work that I would LOVE to see performed live ( some bloody hope rolleyes ), Hovhaness is probably my favourite composer of concert/program music..... sorry Copland.

I was wondering if Tom or anyone else here know if any of his film work has ever been recorded and released? When I say films I mean in the form of documentaries, he's done a handful since 1955 ending with two documentaries about EVEREST in the 1980's, I'd love to hear this work?

bump
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Dmitri Shostakovitch

Amazing!

Might be in my classical music Top 5 if not even 3...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Dmitri Shostakovitch

Amazing!

Might be in my classical music Top 5 if not even 3...

I prefer 7, 10 & 11 but yes, a truly awesome work.
    • CommentAuthorzond0
    Timmer wrote

One of THE most influential works blah blah de blah.... and still one of my favourites.

I'm going to get to see NYP playing this in their opening concert this fall...I'm super psyched! :D
    Those who have a why to live for can overcome almost any how. -Nietzsche
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012
    zond0 wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm going to get to see NYP playing this in their opening concert this fall...I'm super psyched! :D

I've seen it played once live but it's so long ago I can't remember who conducted it or which orchestra.
  2. NP: 'Isle of the Dead' (Rachmaninov)

Quite the tone poem, this one. Magisterial.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    NP: Out of Noise - Ryuichi Sakamoto

I'm not sure how this kind of music is called, "ambient"? "experimental"? Anyway I like to play this while working on my research on birds.

I really love a piece called "hibari (skylark)", because it feels like (not sounds like) a skylark singing in the sky.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012 edited
    OH. MY. GOD. I have died and there IS a heaven. angelic

love Lili Boulanger - Buddha love

This is just sublimely beautiful, it actually moved me to tears. It's not often you get to hear a female classical composer.

Martijn, it reminds me of Rozsa, what do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It reminds me intensely of Newman's Hymn To Aton from Hermann/Newman's The Egyptian!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It reminds me intensely of Newman's Hymn To Aton from Hermann/Newman's The Egyptian!

Doesn't it just!? spin

Oh, and thank you for reminding me, why, why the fook have I not picked up that recording yet. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    OH. MY. GOD. I have died and there IS a heaven. angelic

love Lili Boulanger - Buddha love

This is just sublimely beautiful, it actually moved me to tears. It's not often you get to hear a female classical composer.

Martijn, it reminds me of Rozsa, what do you think?

I've completely fallen in love with this piece, how tragic that she was only 24 when she died.

Have you heard of her before Tom?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
    NP : THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - Pink Floyd

One of the greatest albums ever, a true classic! love
  3. NOOOOOOOOO!

Hate this wish a passion after doing a creative dance piece at primary school, hearing it over and over and over again!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NOOOOOOOOO!

Hate this wish a passion after doing a creative dance piece at primary school, hearing it over and over and over again!

biggrin

I understand. I have a good friend here in Bristol who's Scottish, as a kid he was dragged up mountains by his enthusiastic hiking father, as a result he hates anything to do with hiking hills, mountains, you name it. Same thing but different wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd either.

I appreciate them. From a distance. With ear muffs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and a high-powered rifle.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012 edited
    :guns:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...why is that not an emoticon. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
    Steven wrote

Okay grandad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

One of the best film scores that isn't a film score. Wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012
    Seriously? Pink Floyd are musical geniuses.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Okay grandad.

Actually I've always associated old people liking Pink Floyd! biggrin

My tastes in non-orchestral music tend to be a little more... modern.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012 edited
    Ear muffs = grandad tongue

I've never associated Pink Floyd with 'old people', a lot of young people I know seem to have a much healthier taste in all kinds of music now, old & new than I remember them having when I was of a similar age.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven, what modern non-orchestral music are you enjoying?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Seriously? Pink Floyd are musical geniuses.

You have class D cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He has Class D?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    He has Class D?

Sometimes I wonder who is the geekier of us two. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Just finished

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

What a brilliant album. It was a first listen and it was a masterpiece. What a great one. Cluster One is a particular favourite.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website