• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012
    NP : FANTASIA ON CHRISTMAS CAROLS - Ralph Vaughan Williams

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NEW WORLD SYMPHONY - Antonin Dvorak
    cool

God but I love that piece. What version?

One of three versions I have but probably not surprisingly I went for Herbert Von Karajan's version.

biggrin
    No. Not surprised at all!

punk

NP: White Christmas: a Christmas Festival - Arthur Fiedler &The Boston Pops.
    One of the finest Christmas albums out there (even if it's from 1969) with some truly outstanding arrangements of both traditional Christmas carrols as well as classical pieces (the choirless 'Hallelujah Chorus" by Handel is quite impressive.

Just trying to get in the Christmas spirit.
    Not really working though. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012
    Sorry to hear that Martijn, I guess there's a few of us around that are going through the 'wringer' so to speak.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012
    7th Symphony - Ludwig van Beethoven, conducted by Kleiber

Hadn't listened to Beethoven for a while so I thought I'd toss this masterpiece on. Also, it's a homage to the final scene of "Knowing", where the Earth gets cooked by the sun.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    7th Symphony - Ludwig van Beethoven, conducted by Kleiber

Hadn't listened to Beethoven for a while so I thought I'd toss this masterpiece on. Also, it's a homage to the final scene of "Knowing", where the Earth gets cooked by the sun.

It's also used very effectively at the end of John Boorman's weird sci-fi film ZARDOZ
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Piano Trio, Op. 1 - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

A fine work that the master wrote at the age of 13. It's disturbing how mature it sounds.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012
    NP : VIEILLE PRIERE BOUDDHIQUE - Lili Boulanger

Awesome! And no Pawel, I haven't forgotten and will sort it soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Josh B wrote

A fine work that the master wrote at the age of 13. It's disturbing how mature it sounds.

Über-talented kids sicken me to the core.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Josh B wrote

biggrin

It's like watching channel 4's COUNTDOWN, every now and then you get some 12 yr old uber-kid and you just know the adult sat opposite is gonna be fucked.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Steven wrote
    Josh B wrote

There aren't really that many that I'd actually label as prodigies. It's a word that gets thrown out a bunch, especially by overly proud parents (and I can't blame them for loving their children).
  1. "Bläsermusik zur Weihnacht / Brass Music for Christmas" Blechbläserensemble Ludwig Güttler; Berlin Classics 1992

Ludwig Güttler is a genius!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012
    NP : SCHOOL DAYS - Stanley Clarke

Brilliant jazz funk
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012
    Complete Works - Samuel Barber

Every few years or so, I go through the complete works of one of my favorite composers, Barber. Everyone knows him for the warhorses. The Violin Concerto, the Adagio for Strings, the Hermit Songs and so on but there's so much more to this composer. His Piano Concerto is perhaps THE 20th century masterpiece in the genre and I adore his feisty Toccata Festiva for organ and orchestra.

Unlike much more prolific composers, Barber's playlist is just over 15 hours and not hard to get through in a week or so.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012
    I love his Toccata Festiva for Organ and Orchestra, an amazing work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012
    Josh B wrote
    Complete Works - Samuel Barber

Every few years or so, I go through the complete works of one of my favorite composers, Barber. Everyone knows him for the warhorses. The Violin Concerto, the Adagio for Strings, the Hermit Songs and so on but there's so much more to this composer. His Piano Concerto is perhaps THE 20th century masterpiece in the genre and I adore his feisty Toccata Festiva for organ and orchestra.

Unlike much more prolific composers, Barber's playlist is just over 15 hours and not hard to get through in a week or so.

Love him! Josh, what recordings / editions would you recommend as best for his works?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHANGO (Juno Reactor)

Few things work better to gear oneself up for a party!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Love him! Josh, what recordings / editions would you recommend as best for his works?

Good question. For most of the orchestral works, you can't go wrong with the Naxos recordings. The Essays, concertos and symphonies are especially great. A few of the shorter pieces (like the Canzonetta and Medea's Vengeance) have better recordings out there but this is the easiest and cheapest way to get a third of his music in one shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Barber-Com … r+complete

For the songs, I always recommend the Browning/Hampson/Studer recording as it's complete and the performances are excellent. Oddly, as I just checked, it appears to be out of print...

For the piano pieces (of which there aren't many), there are several options but I'd go with John Browning, as he knew the composer personally and the performances are pretty much definitive.

http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Barber-Com … lete+piano

As far as operas go, for Vanessa, the new one with Brewer is considered excellent although a lot of people love the original recording with Steber. With Antony and Cleopatra, there's only one full recording out there, with Hinds and Wells. I'm not a big fan of the operas so I kinda skimmed these when doing my listening.

For the orchestral works with chorus (Prayers of Kierkegaard and The Lovers), there's just one recording and that's with Schenck. It's very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Barber-Lov … ierkegaard

I own a lot of these recordings but honestly, I've gotten lazy and I just used a Spotify playlist this time around. wink
  2. Mike Oldfield: Incantations (remastered)

Richard Wagner / Lorin Maazel / Berliner Philharmoniker: The Ring without Words (Telarc)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2013
    NP : THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON - The Thievery Corporation

cool

Lee ( LSH ) you should check these guys out, have a listen to some tracks on YT, I reckon it'll be up your street cool
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    Still on Beethoven, this time his 4th Symphony.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    Violin Concerto - Beethoven

Masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013
    Your taste cannot be faulted Josh beer
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Oh, it can at times. I have a weird, perverse affection for 80s Madonna, for instance. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    Oh, it can at times. I have a weird, perverse affection for 80s Madonna, for instance. wink

Hmmmmm? uhm

Actually I do like some of her stuff and I particularly like her album Ray of Light.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    It's nostalgia, mostly. I'm not a big fan of popular music on the whole. wink

I've made it to a Beethoven String Quartet, Op. 59 No. 2. As you might guess, I'm going through his complete works. This is a much bigger project than with the Barber and I've started and stopped it a few times over the last month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    Since adding Spotify to my tools of listening I'm checking out a lot of (un)known work

Just finished listening to: 19by Patricia Kaas
    Superb album. More rougher tracks than you'd expect with this French nightingale,
    wow, that was fun, let's do it again (Donkey in Shrek)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

cool

Lee ( LSH ) you should check these guys out, have a listen to some tracks on YT, I reckon it'll be up your street cool

I'm already quite familiar with them, Tim, but thanks! Shows how closely tuned we are!

That album in particular is very enjoyable.

cool
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Fifth Symphony - Ludwig van Beethoven

Magnificent, obviously but I think I'm starting to get burnt out a bit on this playlist. There's over 100 hours of Beethoven here and not everything is a masterpiece. Unless you're able to argue that his endless sets of folk songs are top-notch pieces.

(They're not, albeit charming.)

I might have to take a break and switch to Goldsmith or something.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

I'm already quite familiar with them, Tim, but thanks! Shows how closely tuned we are!

That album in particular is very enjoyable.

cool

I shoulda knowed wink beer

NP : THE WALL - Pink Floyd

Not my favourite work of theirs but also no denying how powerful this is, quite magnificent to say the least.
  3. "The Wall" is very certainly my favourite work of theirs. One of the best rock albums eeeever.

NP: Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure; Mike Batt - The Hunting of the Snark