• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011
    Since I've just climbed into bed, I fancy something a little softer.

NP: MARCH OF THE PENGUINS - ALEX WURMAN

God knows why this jumped out at me but I'm glad to have given it a spin. I've not listened to it since buying the CD but it now sounds like a completely different score to what I remember. It's lovely, subtle and warm (despite the film's setting). I like it.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    I've decided he needs to score the next Bond film. Somebody tell the studio I've made up my mind.

No he doesn't. He has his Bourne scores which about as close to Bond as you can get.

-Erik-

Hm. I don't think those Bourne scores would work well in a Bond film at all, at least not in the films I'm thinking of. Maybe in some of the more recent Bond films (which were trying really hard to be Bourne films). When I was thinking of a Powell Bond score I was think of loads of blaring brass and sixties swagger. I don't suppose such a score would ever see the light of day, now, though.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    NP: Vertical Limit - James Newton Howard

I used to consider this an example of a score that starts very strong but plummets to boredom towards the end of the album. But over the past few months my opinions has changed. It is a very strong thematic work by Howard, and it entertains from its fantastic opening cues all the way to the more intense later tracks. Never a dull moment!

The absence of an end title suite or something that gives listeners a better sense of finale is missed here, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: UNA HISTORIA RECIENTE (Angel Illaramendi)

Illaramendi is so beautiful when he's in soaring, melancholy mode.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It's sad that it's a rejected score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    I've decided he needs to score the next Bond film. Somebody tell the studio I've made up my mind.

No he doesn't. He has his Bourne scores which about as close to Bond as you can get.

-Erik-

Hm. I don't think those Bourne scores would work well in a Bond film at all, at least not in the films I'm thinking of. Maybe in some of the more recent Bond films (which were trying really hard to be Bourne films). When I was thinking of a Powell Bond score I was think of loads of blaring brass and sixties swagger. I don't suppose such a score would ever see the light of day, now, though.

Listen to Agent Cody Banks. I'd rather hear another United 93 or something more dramatic over another Bond rehash.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I would prefer another Paycheck.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Puss in Boots Henry Jackman

Average to very good. Nothing original, but the 'very good' bits are a lot of fun. The Puss Suite is a great track, though slightly ruined by the annoying 'olay!' chant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone

A masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone

A masterpiece.

I approve of this post.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's sad that it's a rejected score.

It is. But not the first time a beautiful score has been rejected.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

cool
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Thor wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's sad that it's a rejected score.

It is. But not the first time a beautiful score has been rejected.

I know.
  5. Don't havew to tell me about it. I can name a bunch of excellent rejected scores. In fact, now I'm off to Upcoming Scores to mention a rumor...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. NP: King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

Listening to "Woad To Ruin" at the moment. I had forgotten just how good this track is - and it's a long Zimmer cue that hold the attention throughout!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. James Horner - Sneakers

One of his best scores for me. I loved it for years, but finally got the CD.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. THE CORE - CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

I honestly don't get what is so great about it. 75 % of the tracks are just very uninteresting to my ears. I look at the review that my brother wrote and I just don't understand what he's raving on about, and what others hear in it. It has some okay moments, but like I said, most stuff on this two disc release doesn't do squat for me. It just fails to give me a good musical time.

And I've watched 'Star Wars: A New Hope' just before, which did put me in the right mood for some good music, if you know what I mean.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Steven wrote
    Puss in Boots Henry Jackman

Average to very good. Nothing original, but the 'very good' bits are a lot of fun. The Puss Suite is a great track, though slightly ruined by the annoying 'olay!' chant.

I like the ole chant smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    THE CORE - CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

I honestly don't get what is so great about it. 75 % of the tracks are just very uninteresting to my ears. I look at the review that my brother wrote and I just don't understand what he's raving on about, and what others hear in it. It has some okay moments, but like I said, most stuff on this two disc release doesn't do squat for me. It just fails to give me a good musical time.

And I've watched 'Star Wars: A New Hope' just before, which did put me in the right mood for some good music, if you know what I mean.

face-palm-mt I give up!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. cheesy

Haven't you already done that a long time ago?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    Hugo - Howard Shore

Very strong score with wonderful themes, full of magic. Serious contender for score of the year and easily his best work since Lord of the Rings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : 1492 CONQUEST OF PARADISE - Vangelis

Love it!

Monastery of La Rabida is my favourite track. Dreamlike it the word for it I think!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Explorers - Jerry Goldsmith

Really lovely. "The Construction" is a grade-A film music classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Which version are you listening to? I probably won't go back to the Intrada version ever again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Intrada version. I quite like it, but it's certainly not as strong as the original album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've said it before but there is something wrong not having "The Construction" opening the Intrada album.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited
    The Construction is the perfect choice for opening the original Varese EP of Explorers for sure.
    After decades of waiting for the complete score I'm more than happy to have the this full score and I've even made a truncated 50 minute album which is perfect for me. Love this score!!!

NP: Gremlins - Jerry Goldsmith

Love this score just as much!

PS Great review of Explorers James! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Both Explorers and Gremlins are two of my favourite releases from 2011. They're both from a period in Goldsmith's career where he could do little wrong, and certainly my favourite Goldsmith Era. Full of Goldsmith magic! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited
    Steven wrote
    Both Explorers and Gremlins are two of my favourite releases from 2011. They're both from a period in Goldsmith's career where he could do little wrong, and certainly my favourite Goldsmith Era. Full of Goldsmith magic! love

Some of my favourite ever film scores are from Jerry in the 80s, and most of the others are just plain fun, the ones where I just smile while listening. His style of writing sure made it fun in the films itself, as well as on the albums he put together so well. I think he was at his creative peak and I doubt we will ever hear such mastery again by the new batch of composers.