• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC (CUSTOM EDITION) - MARK GRISKEY, GORDY HAAB, WILBERT ROGET II, JESSE HARLIN, LENNIE MOORE

Absolutely fantastic!!!! punk punk

I've compiled cues from the official soundtrack and complete gamerip (which holds some brilliant material, thanks to Scribe for letting me know) to create an astonishing Star Wars score, 80 minutes of great John Williams-inspired music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
    Jane Eyre - Dario Marianelli

Piano+violin = beautiful, sad, emotional score.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Alien - Jerry Goldsmith

Master.............PIECE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. The film version opening cue of Alien sets the perfect tone for the film. It's downright bone-chilling!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited
    It's so brilliant orchestrated. There's a lot of different mood changed going on in that one 4 and half minute piece that most film composers can only dream of doing as seamlessly as Goldsmith did.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Would this imply, Erik, that Jerry Goldsmith's ALIEN is one of your top 5 favorite soundtrack albums by Intrada?

[remember the thread over at FSM regarding "top 5 Intrada"s? I don't recall if you gave us your 5...]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't recall that thread but it would be in my Top 10 Intrada albums for sure.

-Erik-
  3. For all the great things that Jerry did on Alien, the score never really impressed me in the same way Horner impressed me on Aliens. That one basically opened my eyes and ears to a new kind of music and the rest is history. I've appreciated Jerry's effort a lot more over the years but it will never be as often listened to or as adored by me as James' monster of an action score.

Could be because I prefer action over horror, in general. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

We have a BINGO!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    For all the great things that Jerry did on Alien, the score never really impressed me in the same way Horner impressed me on Aliens. That one basically opened my eyes and ears to a new kind of music and the rest is history. I've appreciated Jerry's effort a lot more over the years but it will never be as often listened to or as adored by me as James' monster of an action score.

ALIENS is a fantastic score and not without it's own horror moments for sure, I love it and it's the one I've played the most but for creativeness it's nowhere near the league of Goldsmith's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Loud & Close Alexandre Desplat

Almost to the end of the album as watching the interview with Desplat convinced me to give it another try.

Yep, I think I'm getting there with this one...
  4. Continuing my Star Wars craze today, I was checking out the expanded score of Revenge of the Sith, the first disc anyway. The opening space battle is indeed awesome and should've been included on the album.

Apart from that one, the other unreleased cues didn't do much for me... ANH, TESB, ROTJ quality this definitely ain't!

And to post something totally insane here: I think most of the good stuff from The Old Republic score is as good as or even better than any of the good stuff from the prequel scores. Apart from the really good stuff from TPM I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...ANH, TESB, ROTJ...

...TPM...

Jesus tittyfucking christ.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...ANH, TESB, ROTJ...

...TPM...

Jesus tittyfucking christ.

YEAP!

oh and...

A Nonsense Headline to a movie that never needed it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And ACRONYMS?

It's just pure laziness. If you're playing, say, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN then it takes a nano-ruddy-second even for a slow typist like me, once the subject is named then sure, continue with referrencing it as POTC, acronyms = lazy, shoddy work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I never bother with that episode 'New Hope' shit. I just refer to them as Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi, and Space Fights 1, 2 & 3.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I never bother with that episode 'New Hope' shit. I just refer to them as Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi, and Space Fights 1, 2 & 3.

A perfectly accurate description too. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Faccia a Faccia - Ennio Morricone

I like Morricone. "Faccia a Faccia" means "Face to Face" - never let it be said that I do not educate you.
  5. John Williams - Black Sunday

A fiendishly intelligent thriller score for a very good action thriller (pure 1970s un-PC political stuff). I love what Williams does with action ostinati here. and the famous Preparation Fugue is one of his best cues ever in my book.

Fantastic work that belongs to my personal John Williams favourites, while not a very easy listen, it's rewarding once you discover the structure. It was toyed around with in post-production including tossing Williams eerie first cue for the movie, going with the main title sequence, which doesn't impair the functionality of the score, but ruins the thematic structure the composer created for the movie.

When I wrote my review of the score, I made an experiment and reinstated the original score to the scene it was intended for and put it on youtube. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJDsFpKf … r_embedded

The original sound from the movie is retained, the scene was unscored in the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Just to add it - Preparations (the fugue) is just plain fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: In Dreams - Elliot Goldenthal

It has been a while since I spun this, and I love it. Reading about his scoring approach in a book I got for Christmas (Knowing the Score), put me in the right mood to listen to Goldenthal again. I love it when he is this dark and brooding. I'll spin Alien 3 when I get back to work tomorrow. He is a musical genius/technician/innovator of high order.

I'll also spin Sphere as it is similar in tone to In Dreams.
    Insert witty line here
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012
    Neilbucket wrote
    NP: In Dreams - Elliot Goldenthal

It has been a while since I spun this, and I love it. Reading about his scoring approach in a book I got for Christmas (Knowing the Score), put me in the right mood to listen to Goldenthal again. I love it when he is this dark and brooding. I'll spin Alien 3 when I get back to work tomorrow. He is a musical genius/technician/innovator of high order.

I'll also spin Sphere as it is similar in tone to In Dreams.

The action music in Sphere is amazing - there's just not enough of it on the short album.

Soldier - Joel McNeely

Been ages since I've heard this. I still like it. The main feature of the action music is the trilling brass (and occasional echoing brass which especially recalls Goldsmith at one point).'Muscular' is the right word for this but it's also interesting to hear a motif that creeps into the second half of the album - one that sounds like Horner's Aliens if I'm not mistaken.
  7. The Ides of March - Desplat

I just finished watching the movie. The track order on CD is all screwed up.
  8. Like always.
  9. That said, I'm loving "The Candidate." One of the funkiest tracks I've heard in a while.
  10. SOUL OF THE ULTIMATE NATION - HOWARD SHORE

Or a more menacing, less thematic The Lord of the Rings.

The final 8 minute track is as awesome as anything from that trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    SOUL OF THE ULTIMATE NATION - HOWARD SHORE

Or a more menacing, less thematic The Lord of the Rings.

The final 8 minute track is as awesome as anything from that trilogy.

iF only he wrote as such these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't worry, we've got The Hobbit to look forward to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Don't worry, we've got The Hobbit to look forward to.

It's still a long way off but yeah, I look forward to it. Once the Christmas ads start up in July I'll know it's not far away.
  11. Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian

cool