• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THIS!

A lovely show and the man had, as you would expect, great taste.

Anyways...

NP : THIS!

Ron Goodwin makes his eight choices on Desert Island Discs. Interestingly, both Rozsa and Goodwin choose Ravel's DAPHNIS ET CHLOE as one of their castaway pieces but only Goodwin chooses a piece of film music, Rozsa's Love Theme from BEN-HUR cool

Timmer wrote
    JP : BRIAN BLESSED

p.s. What's going on? Brian also chooses Ravel's DAPHNIS ET CHLOE as one of his castaway choices shocked cool Good to see he also picked a quality piece of film music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    Cleopatra - Trevor Jones

This is very, very good!

WHERE IS TREVOR JONES????????????????????????
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    Men in Black - Danny Elfman

Not really a favourite, but the guitar theme is lovely and there are some decent bits of action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Paycheck - John Powell

This is the best thing John Powell has ever written. Why can't he do more like this? That is all.

I like it but it's nowhere near as good as BOURNE SUPREMACY.

IMO of course.

Tough choice. Even tougher if you add BOURNE ULTIMATUM.

To me?

Hog Chase Part II < To the Roof < Tangiers.

Great way to express it smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Soul of the Ultimate Nation - Howard Shore

Like LOTR without the familiar themes. Most enjoyable, even if the self-referencing is borderline hilarious.
  1. COCOON: THE RETURN - JAMES HORNER

You know how it is when you revisit something you haven't heard in a while, and that it can be true joy. This is VERY enjoyable, not as consistently wondrous or beautiful as the first, but the way Horner did these big band cues are truly wonderful and remain the major attraction for me in this one. I think it's interesting that those Glenn Miller like cues were only written for the tree films starring the Hume Cronyn - Jessica Tandy couple: Cocoon, Batteries not Included, and Cocoon: The Return.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Cristian wrote
    Cleopatra - Trevor Jones

This is very, very good!

He's just resting. Such beautiful plumage.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    justin boggan wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Cleopatra - Trevor Jones

This is very, very good!

He's just resting. Such beautiful plumage.

Well I guess he deserve to rest after all the great music he gave us but I miss his music nowadays. Wouldn't be great to have a new score from him?
  3. He did one, a documentary, just a few months ago. I made a note in the UPCOMING FILM SCORES thread.

But yes, I wish he would do just a tiny bit more. A sequel to "I, Robot" has been announced for 2015. Boy, I'd love for him to do whatever he was going to do with the first film before shceduling conflicts.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012
    Southall wrote
    Men in Black - Danny Elfman

Not really a favourite, but the guitar theme is lovely and there are some decent bits of action.

same here. It never takes off, but the electric guitar and some action stuff are enjoyable.

Dark Shadows -Danny Elfman

It's a little bit bland, but for that same reason is easy to listen.

I like the killar touch (not so obvious than it was in The Wolfman) and the psychodelic electronics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Finishing off my series. After the, as I dub them, Angry score and the Fun score, comes time for the Romantic score of the series, that is:

Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo III

This score is defined by the Afghanistan theme and a new theme for John J. The new theme boasts a more Americana approach to the loneliness-laden It's a Long Road (which in Part II becomes a love theme). All new material is based on the same four starting notes, which is also a great example of Goldsmith making versatile motifs that carry the scores and work well as a rhythmic device (the four notes often are used as a standalone motif in the action music).

This score is a more well-rounded dramatic score, with the great action music coming up as the obvious highlight. Myself though, I love all the instances of the new Afghanistan theme, a very romantic melody with hints of tragedy (surely regarding the nation). Another thing connecting the three scores is an Americana motif which is used and varied (variated?) throughout the whole series, used very sparsely (interestingly moreso in First Blood than both sequel scores altogether). That makes Rambo III the most varied of the scores. Also it's the longest one. The unused end credits piece (I'll Stay) is an obvious highlight of the series. It's a great wrap to an amazing trilogy.

Because, aside from The Matrix, I think this is the best scored film trilogy ever. Goldsmith made three scores that are similar and coherent while retaining stylisticall difference between the three of them. Using the same thematic material for different emotional purposes is something only the best composers can do. I mentioned the Matrix, but I also should mention another brilliantly scored and conceived film score trilogy, which is John Powell's Bourne works.

I always missed the action theme from the second Rambo in this Third Installment.
    Rambo III is a well rounded score, but nothing beats Rambo II action writting and performance (Hungarian orchestra sucks!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE AVENGERS - SILVESTRI

Oh my! Silvestri has forgotten how to compose awesome action scores. This sounds aimless, dull, uninspired. And the constant starting and stopping (as Thomas puts it in his review) gets on my nerves, the way he starts an idea, than ends it with that trademark Silvestri bang, only seconds later. A couple of hints of a theme early on, but even when the theme erupts full force at the end it fails to impress because I've dozed off much earlier.

Absolutly agree with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    plindboe wrote
    Prometheus (Streiten & Gregson)

Tracks 1, 4, 5 and 24 are all I need. I don't care about the rest, but these 4 tracks are most excellent.

Peter smile

I was surprised at the first listen, I like it in the second and third. but I was tired of it in my fouth dizzy
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - Tora! Tora! Tora!

Today I am having a Far Eastern, mostly Japanese scores day. This score (which has juts finished, since I decided to ignore the somehow nonsense to me bonus tracks and stay with Goldsmith's score) is amazing, tense and devilishly intelligent.

Now on to the beautiful Princess Mononoke.

This makes my playlist as follows:

James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars
    John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha
    Hans Zimmer - The Last Samurai
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line
    Jerry Goldsmith - Tora! Tora! Tora!
    Joe Hisaishi - Princess Mononoke

The only non-Japan related score on the list is Beyond Rangoon, but it has the beautiful atmosphere I needed today. All those scores are defined by the best understanding of Far Eastern culture I ever dealt with in film music, of course Hisaishi, writing in more Western idiom, is Japanese himself, so that's why I am adding him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edge of Darkness - Howard Shore

Not exactly a thrill a minute.

Delighted to see Corigliano's rejected score getting a release. Will also be delighted if/when someone releases Kamen's score from the original miniseries.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Delighted to see Corigliano's rejected score getting a release. Will also be delighted if/when someone releases Kamen's score from the original miniseries.

Has it never been released on CD? I have a 33" EP of Kamen/Clapton's themes for the series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Has it never been released on CD? I have a 33" EP of Kamen/Clapton's themes for the series.

The track "Nuclear Train" from the series was released on the MICHAEL KAMEN'S OPUS compilation which I once owned.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Battleship (Steve Jablonsky)

Sweet, the droning sound design in the track "The Aliens" sounds exactly like my refrigerator , meaning when I heard it I was actually checking out if I hadn't closed it properly

for the few decent tracks that are on it, this is a another sunken opportunity
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Battleship (Steve Jablonsky)

Sweet, the droning sound design in the track "The Aliens" sounds exactly like my refrigerator , meaning when I heard it I was actually checking out if I hadn't closed it properly

Ha, ha....I hate it when that happens! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited
    NP: GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (Leslie Bricusse/John Williams)

A CD transfer of the old LP, not the massive FSM set from a few years ago. I got this way back in the 90's because of the John Williams arrangements (it's otherwise not really my cup of tea). But a couple of the songs are fine and the orchestral overture is smooth. AND....it also proves once and for all that Peter O'Toole can't sing!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Battleship (Steve Jablonsky)

for the few decent tracks that are on it, this is a another sunken opportunity

So what you're basically saying is that modern film music is trying to imitate the sound of electronic equipment? Or is the other way around??? dizzy

That does it... you can give me a million dollars, I won't even go near battleshit !!! vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. THE ARTIST - Bource

There is some really happy music on this score. There's lots more than that, but it's the happy stuff I'm playing today.
  8. BATMAN - Danny Elfman

"Finale" is still my favorite piece of music from Elfman, and it was one of the first films he ever scored!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012 edited
    Indiana Jones and the emperor's tomb (Clint Bajakian)

This game score was recommended to me. Alas there are very few tracks I like. Much of it is well-written, but I need some themes to latch on to. And it's almost all action, and the williamsy kinda of action scoring just doesn't appeal to me. Anyway, there's a decent action march in Air base and the Epilogue & end credits contains a very charming, but very short Delerue sounding tune, which unfortunately isn't heard anywhere else in the score. The Indiana Jones march is heard as well, but I prefer the performances of this march in Williams' scores, so this doesn't improve my opinion of the score.

Peter smile
  9. It's a way more fun score than Indy IV in my opinion, even if all the action music might be overkill for some, for me, action junkie that I am it simply isn't.
  10. KRULL !!!!!!!!

Thought I'd start the day with something that is the opposite of crap !!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012 edited
    christopher wrote
    BATMAN - Danny Elfman

"Finale" is still my favorite piece of music from Elfman, and it was one of the first films he ever scored!

Well, he HAD done 14 things before that -- 3 TV shows and 11 movies -- but yeah.....still impressive, I agree!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's a way more fun score than Indy IV in my opinion, even if all the action music might be overkill for some, for me, action junkie that I am it simply isn't.

It's nice that you like it, but I find it hard to understand how people can enjoy this kind of action music. Seems too erratic and void of themes to me. I like Indy IV much more, since it introduced some new themes, even though they aren't all that.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    Today (and yesterday) I listened to:
    Prometheus. I just dig this score more each time.
    Hook (deluxe edition). Musical bliss of the awesome kind!
    The Black Couldron. Quite a different beast to Hook (best not heard close together).
    Aliens. Classic horror Horner! So good!
    NP: First Knight. My favorite "modern" Goldsmith score.