• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012
    cheesy SPOT THE FIM COMPOSER cheesy

NP : PETULIA - John Barry

Superb score, melancholic and jazzy, one of my favourites.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

I have been listening to this new Intrada release and, it goes without saying, it's bloody brilliant!

Tim, I think that you're gonna love it. A lot.

Being so familiar with the score, I was interested to hear what the early and alternate versions were like compared with the original. And I have to admit that, some of them moved me to tears. The early versions of "Orphans of Doom" where the choral line is reduced solo soprano (over a small orchestra) is such a beautiful piece and a second version - where the female chorus is supported only by arpeggios from harp - just piles on the beauty.

And this was after having listened to the first read-through version of "Anvil of Crom" with it's varied ideas (later dropped). The liner notes talk of "polished playing" not being "yet on the agenda" but it's not THAT bad! This could actually be my preferred version of this cue.

If you don't have any version of Conan The Barbarian then get this. If you have the recent re-recording then get this too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HOME ALONE (John Williams)

It's time. And yes, it's obviously the original album.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

I have been listening to this new Intrada release and, it goes without saying, it's bloody brilliant!

Tim, I think that you're gonna love it. A lot.

Being so familiar with the score, I was interested to hear what the early and alternate versions were like compared with the original. And I have to admit that, some of them moved me to tears. The early versions of "Orphans of Doom" where the choral line is reduced solo soprano (over a small orchestra) is such a beautiful piece and a second version - where the female chorus is supported only by arpeggios from harp - just piles on the beauty.

And this was after having listened to the first read-through version of "Anvil of Crom" with it's varied ideas (later dropped). The liner notes talk of "polished playing" not being "yet on the agenda" but it's not THAT bad! This could actually be my preferred version of this cue.

If you don't have any version of Conan The Barbarian then get this. If you have the recent re-recording then get this too.

^
    ^
    HERE is your answer BREGT biggrin

What can I say? Roll on the 25th. spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

I really love this chill out track that samples Barry's score by CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA...

ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN

Some here ( particularly British members ) may well recognise this as it's been used many many times in various TV shows from History programs ( it was used regularly in COAST ), Brian Cox's WONDERS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM and even ( according to wiki ) Hollyoaks, it's also used in the movie KIDULTHOOD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DANNY ELFMAN - Hitchcock

Lovely, absolutely lovely and classy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I really love this chill out track that samples Barry's score by CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA...

ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN

Some here ( particularly British members ) may well recognise this as it's been used many many times in various TV shows from History programs ( it was used regularly in COAST ), Brian Cox's WONDERS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM and even ( according to wiki ) Hollyoaks, it's also used in the movie KIDULTHOOD.

And just so you can compare here's John Barry's original...

PETULIA - MAIN TITLE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hobbit - Howard Shore

Like others, I'll wait until I have the proper album (rather than a rip of the streaming) before making a proper judgement, but I can't say this is doing much for me. While I love the Lord of the Rings scores, I don't really listen to them very often, and I think it's because of Shore's slightly formulaic approach to their composition - by which I mean it seems to be "X is happening in the film, so I need X to happen in the music". There's this great wealth of thematic material in them, but not much ever really happens to the themes other than statement and restatement, which is what makes the full score releases unlistenable to me. The highlights albums have so much in them, it's never really a problem there. The problem with The Hobbit is that the core of thematic material just isn't as strong and when it's stretched over the mammoth running time, it just isn't very interesting. As things stand this would get two stars from me. Let's hope it improves when it can be heard properly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited
    Have you got the 2nd rip btw, the proper one from the rollingstone thingy with the right dynamics?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)

Top stuff! I try to play these only during the season.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. If I could I would burn every piece of evidence of the Home Alone films.

I haven't seen the films nor heard the scores to any great length, so can't really say much in terms of my likes and dislikes of them. But from what I have seen/heard of them they have no redeeming features in my book.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If I could I would burn every piece of evidence of the Home Alone films.

I haven't seen the films nor heard the scores to any great length, so can't really say much in terms of my likes and dislikes of them. But from what I have seen/heard of them they have no redeeming features in my book.

How could you hate it, or anything, without ever watching it?
  3. From what I have seen of it I think that I know what the film entails - it doesn't seem to be a particularly high-brow movie(s). Same goes for the scores.

As an analogy, I don't need to eat a whole stick of celery to know that I don't like it: a sampling is enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    From what I have seen of it I think that I know what the film entails - it doesn't seem to be a particularly high-brow movie(s). Same goes for the scores.

As an analogy, I don't need to eat a whole stick of celery to know that I don't like it: a sampling is enough.

Usually this applies to me; but i loved the films when i was a kid and that has stayed with me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If I could I would burn every piece of evidence of the Home Alone films.

I've seen the first two and they are quite entertaining, the down side is that you have to put up with cocky self-aware super brat Culky McCulcolking ( don't know how he's spelt and don't care ), that aside it's entertaining family movies with good scores by John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The two Home Alone films are Christmas staples in my house hold. I'm not a fan of slap stick but my goodness Chris Columbus did it so well in these films. A big part of selling the comedy was the fantastic chemistry between Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. And Macaulay Culkin, at the time, was the cats meow! It's a wam, fuzzy and delightfully entertaining romp!

And even though the sequel pretty much recreates the first film in New York, I actually prefer the second film. And Tim Curry is fantastic as Mr. Hector; a concierge at the Plaza Hotel.

So grab some egg nog, curl up on the couch, turn your brain off and have a gut busting good time with the films. They always make me feel like a kid again!

BTW, the scores are FANTASTIC! Not because I'm a huge John Williams fans but because they are some of the very best comedy scores ever written. They are tuneful... oh boy are they ever... and Williams' very own original Christmas chorals are among some of the very best written and the action material is superb!

Same some of the second score at http://www.cinematicsound.net/christmas-special/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The scores are indeed fantastic. Some Hornerish "inspiration" going on in them, but still fantastic. Listen to them every year around Christmas and I'm sure I will do so again this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, pretty sweet and heartwarming scores. Unless you're the Grinch that stole Christmas wink
  4. Demetris wrote
    Yeah, pretty sweet and heartwarming scores. Unless you're the Grinch that stole Christmas wink

Bah, humbug!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love the first two films, annoying Culkin or not. It's part of my upbringing (I was 13 when HOME ALONE came out).

No. 3 and 4, however....well, let's not go there.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Maybe I should have been exposed to them when they first came out.
  6. NP: Michel Strogoff - Vladimir Cosma

A great adrenaline-filled score with some grand themes. Discovered this when I got those bargain 40+ scores for the price of a CD (as a digital download).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Maybe I should have been exposed to them when they first came out.

I doubt that would have helped you, you old curmudgeon wink Perhaps you and I are just that bit enough older to not have a nostalgic childhood link to these films.

McCulkin is a sorry mess now, he looks old and drawn beyond his years due to drug abuse. I don't feel sorry for him but I do wish him well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Maybe I should have been exposed to them when they first came out.

I doubt that would have helped you, you old curmudgeon wink Perhaps you and I are just that bit enough older to not have a nostalgic childhood link to these films.

McCulkin is a sorry mess now, he looks old and drawn beyond his years due to drug abuse. I don't feel sorry for him but I do wish him well.

He was quite good in the recent series KINGS as the lost and morally corrupted son who only wanted to be loved by his father.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Rise of the Guardians has the widest dynamic range of any new score I remember hearing in a long time. Its almost as much as some of those 80s Horner albums.

This is not a bad thing, unless of course you turn up the volume to hear the quiet parts and then get blasted by the loud parts shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not a fan of the Rise of the Guardians recording. To my ears it's far too polished and the percussion is not powerful enough. The timpani sound wimpy... almost like a bad recording of a tom tom. But maybe that has something to do with the fact that the percussion was recorded separately.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROBOCOP 2 - Leonard Rosenman

I hadn't played this for a long time and didn't like it but guess what, now I LIKE IT! How times and taste change. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm not a fan of the Rise of the Guardians recording. To my ears it's far too polished and the percussion is not powerful enough. The timpani sound wimpy... almost like a bad recording of a tom tom. But maybe that has something to do with the fact that the percussion was recorded separately.

-Erik-

Or maybe they were butchered in the mastering process ? (the percussion section)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't know... but what I DO know for a fact is that they were recorded separately.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Man on Fire - John Scott

An exceptionally enjoyable 80s action score.