• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012
    Lair - John Debney

Derivative as anything, but good lord, it's enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is, sadly he doesn't write even as such anymore; he 2012 output has been largely inaudible. 2011 wasn't better either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Re: HOME ALONE, it's really not a bad movie, but Williams' score elevates it to an unspeakable degree. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about Columbus' direction; Culkin's performance is cute but grating (and occasionally veers to the area of so-bad-it-takes-you-out-of-the-movie); and the slapstick isn't exactly inspired. But when you add Williams' magnificent music to the mix, you get a bonafide holiday classic. No matter what you may think of the movie, you really have to see it to see what I mean. It's like listening to a stunning Christmas concert that happens to be playing with a movie. It's light, nimble, airy, menacing, melancholy, wondrous, sprightly, melancholy, playful, joyous, festive. "Star of Bethlehem" is one of my favorite things Williams' ever wrote, and it always amazes me that it came from HOME ALONE.

It makes you wonder if Williams even paid much attention to the movie itself; he just used it as a jumping off point to write his definitive Christmas score.

HOME ALONE 2 covers a lot of the same ground and IMHO isn't as strong a score on the whole, but "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" and "Christmas Star" are worth the price of admission alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    It makes you wonder if Williams even paid much attention to the movie itself

Hmm... there are a few other films where I'd ask the same question. (Dare I say the unsayable?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. JOHN LUNN - Downtown Abbey

Is this under-appreciated or what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    It makes you wonder if Williams even paid much attention to the movie itself;

Oh, he most certainly did! The mickey mousing is spot on and the only way that works is by seeing the film and timing everything out precisely!. And he got the underlining emotion of the film as well with his score and songs!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Mike Skerritt wrote

Hmm... there are a few other films where I'd ask the same question. (Dare I say the unsayable?)

Just where in the hell are you going with that, James? Be careful with the words you choose now.

-Erik-

PS - JFK is one of them! FACT!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote

Considering this is the first time I've seen it mentioned here, apparently yes.
    I don't know it, what is it like? Given the subject matter I'm guessing its chambery with a side of waltz and a sprinkle of Patrick Doyle? But then I don't know why D would like it so much...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote

Not by me - it's wonderful! (As is the show.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Mike Skerritt wrote

Just where in the hell are you going with that, James? Be careful with the words you choose now.

-Erik-

PS - JFK is one of them! FACT!

Interesting. That's not one of the ones I'd have chosen. The first Harry Potter, certainly (it's written to the book, not the film, some might hypothetically suggest).
  2. Demetris wrote
    It is, sadly he doesn't write even as such anymore; he 2012 output has been largely inaudible. 2011 wasn't better either.

I though his themes from Dream House were outstanding. Didn't hear anything else from him in 2011.

Demetris wrote

YES! I think this music is great! The show is very good, too. Especially the first season. Haven't seen the third yet, but I'm eager to watch it.
  3. Demetris wrote

Generic costume melodrama scoring to my ears.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's nice, fully orchestral, thematic and with some very nice romantic passages. Surely a very big production for tv's standards and from what i read around, the series is pretty good too!
  4. Never seem it but the trailers look pretty standard stuff. No idea why it has been such a hit.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B

Re: HOME ALONE, it's really not a bad movie, but Williams' score elevates it to an unspeakable degree. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about Columbus' direction; Culkin's performance is cute but grating (and occasionally veers to the area of so-bad-it-takes-you-out-of-the-movie); and the slapstick isn't exactly inspired. But when you add Williams' magnificent music to the mix, you get a bonafide holiday classic. No matter what you may think of the movie, you really have to see it to see what I mean. It's like listening to a stunning Christmas concert that happens to be playing with a movie. It's light, nimble, airy, menacing, melancholy, wondrous, sprightly, melancholy, playful, joyous, festive. "Star of Bethlehem" is one of my favorite things Williams' ever wrote, and it always amazes me that it came from HOME ALONE.

It makes you wonder if Williams even paid much attention to the movie itself; he just used it as a jumping off point to write his definitive Christmas score.

Even as a kid (who didn't pay much attention to film scores), the music remained the most memorable part of the movie for me. I'll never forget the swell of "Somewhere in My Memory" when the creepy old man and his son make up.

I'd toss Hook in there too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Josh B wrote
    I'd toss Hook in there too.

Try to remember it's a children's book though.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012

So's Harry Potter and that first film is wildly overscored.
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Never seem it but the trailers look pretty standard stuff. No idea why it has been such a hit.

You sure do have a lot of strong opinions about things you've never seen and barely heard! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Josh B wrote

So's Harry Potter and that first film is wildly overscored.

I fear I may have made that joke a little too subtly...
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I fear I may have made that joke a little too subtly...

Oh, it was a joke? Yeah, too subtle. wink
  6. Jon Broxton wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Never seem it but the trailers look pretty standard stuff. No idea why it has been such a hit.

You sure do have a lot of strong opinions about things you've never seen and barely heard! wink

I suppose I do. I just assume that trailers and clips are there to showcase the strong attributes of what they are advertising. And I form an opinion on those. Makes things more manageable.

When a series is established trailers seem to pander to the regular audience rather than enticing new viewers - which is understandable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I suppose I do. I just assume that trailers and clips are there to showcase the strong attributes of what they are advertising. And I form an opinion on those. Makes things more manageable.

So with that reasoning The Phantom Menace was a masterpiece because that trailer kicked ass!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I must admit I find your logic regarding trailers a tad bewildering Scotsman. spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

When a series is established trailers seem to pander to the regular audience rather than enticing new viewers - which is understandable.

Is it just me, of have trailers in the last, say, five to ten years, been created not only to get people into the seats but also to lie to the audience to get them in. That they'll tailor trailers to makes films to appear to be something other than what they are, or to focus on angles that the film in actuality barely notice or glance over.

I learned fairly well to weed through trailers and make good choices. I had four lapses in judgement, but they were sequels and I was hoping for something more, not steaming piles of monkey crap. So I long ago stopped falling for trailers, but they just seem to get a little worse every year.

Last time I saw trailers, they were something like this:

Violently loud opening, or quiet opening that gets violently loud. Peaceful story that goes wrong with synth BOOM and fade out, then intercuts of violent scenes and generic horror music I wouldn't wish the masters thereof to be preserved, or horror trailer full of violent scenes.

Low-end BOOM's and THUD's, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out FASTER, fade-in fade-out FASTER, revealing the whole plot and ending of the film; build to climax with bland generic chorus and full-blown orchestra from some trailer music company.
    Loud BOOM or THUD, screen goes black. Fonts moving in with release date.

This of course, is equally as bad of these aweful, AWFUL comedy films that keep being cranked out every year, who's trailer begins with abusing some classic song, like "Wow! I feel good!" while setting up the film. Crappy "jokes", scenes, some woman accidently seen partially naked, some fat black lady goes "Um hum", some white teenagers goes "YEEEAAAHHH!!!", poop and fart jokes, oh, but -- how sad -- soft piano music, bittersweet scenes. Crappy one liner toosed off, back to "Wow! I feel good!", fade out.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: POTC: At World's End - Hans Zimmer & Crew

OMG, what an excellent end to the trilogy. The complete score is almost overwhelming to listen to, but there are so many good tracks that didn't quite make it to, or was truncated for, the official release. The last third is just full of really bombabstic, brassy melodic scoring. Still one of my favorite Zimmer of the last 20 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Is it just me, of have trailers in the last, say, five to ten years, been created not only to get people into the seats but also to lie to the audience to get them in. That they'll tailor trailers to makes films to appear to be something other than what they are, or to focus on angles that the film in actually barely notice or glance over.

I learned fairly well to weed through trailers and make good choices. I had four lapses in judgement, but they were sequels and I was hoping for something more, not steaming piles of monkey crap. So I long ago stopped falling for trailers, but they just seem to get a little worse every year.

Last time I saw trailers, they were something like this:

Violently loud opening, or quiet opening that gets violently loud. Peaceful story that goes wrong with synth BOOM and fade out, then intercuts of violent scenes and generic horror music I wouldn't wish the masters thereof to be preserved, or horror trailer full of violent scenes.

Low-end BOOM's and THUD's, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out, fade-in fade-out FASTER, fade-in fade-out FASTER, revealing the whole plot and ending of the film; build to climax with bland generic chorus and full-blown orchestra from some trailer music company.
    oud BOOM or THUD, screen goes black. Fonts moving in with release date.

This of course, is equally as bad of these aweful, AWFUL comedy films that keep being cranked out every year, who's trailer begins with abusing some classic song, like "Wow! I feel good!" while setting up the film. Crappy "jokes", scenes, some woman accidently seen partially naked, some fat black lady goes "Um hum", some white teenagers goes "YEEEAAAHHH!!!", poop and fart jokes, oh, but -- how sad -- soft piano music, bittersweet scenes. Crappy one liner toosed off, back to "Wow! I feel good!", fade out.

Hehe, i enjoyed this biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: POTC: At World's End - Hans Zimmer & Crew

OMG, what an excellent end to the trilogy. The complete score is almost overwhelming to listen to, but there are so many good tracks that didn't quite make it to, or was truncated for, the official release. The last third is just full of really bombabstic, brassy melodic scoring. Still one of my favorite Zimmer of the last 20 years.

I like the fact that i you consider this the final potc score, same here; i do and most do, cause the fourth one was draft and really bad at places. Third one was absolutely epic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    4th one is an excellent score too, it simply suffers from an awful album presentation.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I really thought the marriage with the Mexicans was completely wrong in so many musical ways. And the film was equally weak.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really enjoyed the first one but the next two were interminable, I'll not suffer a fourth.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt