• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    NP: Blade Runner (BSX Re-recording) - Vangelis

One of the greatest scores ever composed. A faithful and daring re-recording by BSX Records. It's great to hear this score for the first time without hearing dialogue and sound effects from the film!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I just put on "Cloud Atlas" after I read with astonishment how much CC hates the score over at Filmtracks. (Look at the board!) I really value his judgement but I can't follow him here. Sure, the score is no masterwork, but it's an OK score with some really nice moments IMHO.

'It's a shallow understanding that makes it become simplistic'. I like that saying though I should point out I'm not suggesting CC is 'shallow', everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Being simplistic doesn't make it bad, but simplistic things that are aiming to be something else rarely work.

Mind you, in this case I just find it incredibly dull more than anything else. Can barely muster the enthusiasm to listen to it again so I can write a review of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012 edited
    Cristian wrote
    Demetris wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - the thin red line

What a mindblowingly good score, a once-in-a-lifetime moment for Zimmer it seems. Amazing.

I agree this is his best score (or it is better to say my favorite).
    The question is: He will compose another score as good as this one?
    The answer is : probably not.

Exactly. It's unique, it's his best score to date (others are pretty good and come close but don't quite match) and i don't think he'll repeat anything like this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Blade Runner (BSX Re-recording) - Vangelis

One of the greatest scores ever composed. A faithful and daring re-recording by BSX Records. It's great to hear this score for the first time without hearing dialogue and sound effects from the film!

-Erik-

I enjoyed this recording greatly on a long plane flight. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Demetris wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - the thin red line

What a mindblowingly good score, a once-in-a-lifetime moment for Zimmer it seems. Amazing.

I agree this is his best score (or it is better to say my favorite).
    The question is: He will compose another score as good as this one?
    The answer is : probably not.

Exactly. It's unique, it's his best score to date (others are pretty good and come close but don't quite match) and i don't think he'll repeat anything like this.

I would also describe it as a "once in a lifetime" score - not that he hasn't done anything else that's good/great, but this is a masterpiece by anyone's standards.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Life of Pi - Mychael Danna

I'm bored.
  2. If you are bored then Life of Pi is not going to help! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    If you are bored then Life of Pi is not going to help! wink

Nice. Nah, it's just not really the type of film music I like. It's also a really long album and the tracks tend to blend together.
  3. Music of Ralph Kessler (promo)

This was totally worth it -- so far I'm only into a few tracks of his commercial music cues, and they're like wonderful 1970's TV scoring.

After that there's tracks from his ghostwriting on TV shows, like "Police Story" (I think one of two are credited, however), with a section with what looks to be concert symphony work I've never heard -- this should be a REAL treat; those are:

"The Journey of Odysseus"
    "OPUS for TPT & WW Quintet"
    "El Alfarero"
    "Impressions"

Shame he passed away without more film/TV work to his credit.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I love Life of Pi.

I just love Pie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    I love Life of Pi.

I just love Pie.

Pie? Stop being so irrational, Tim!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Chicken & mushroom is my favourite! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

Not quite a chicken & mushroom pie but close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012 edited
    ANNA KARENINA - Dario Marianelli

First listen.

edit: finished now. Not too shabby! I liked most of it. There are a couple really grating tracks in there that I can only imagine accompany scenes of Russians riding around on unicycles, but other than those tracks I thought it was quite nice.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    I just put on "Cloud Atlas" after I read with astonishment how much CC hates the score over at Filmtracks. (Look at the board!) I really value his judgement but I can't follow him here. Sure, the score is no masterwork, but it's an OK score with some really nice moments IMHO.

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that he'd hate it (our tastes in scores almost never coincide). I saw the movie and I absolutely adored the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Steak and ale for me! And the good news is that I'm meeting my sister for dinner tonight and we're going to a pub on Wednesday night - which is pie night!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DRIVE (Cliff Martinez/various)

I've listened to his a million times, and I never tire of it! The best score of that year, by far.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote

First listen.

edit: finished now. Not too shabby! I liked most of it. There are a couple really grating tracks in there that I can only imagine accompany scenes of Russians riding around on unicycles, but other than those tracks I thought it was quite nice.

If you program the Russian folk stuff out, you have a wonderfully romantic and at times - melancholic, musical score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Steak and ale for me! And the good news is that I'm meeting my sister for dinner tonight and we're going to a pub on Wednesday night - which is pie night!

may I congratulate you on your fine taste.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KICK THE CAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Lovely nostalgic segment from JG's TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE love
  6. Not my favourite segment musically, but - if I remember right - the vocals are nice to hear.
  7. Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

First listen.

If you program the Russian folk stuff out, you have a wonderfully romantic and at times - melancholic, musical score.

Indeed! I also enjoy his score from SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN from earlier this year. It's not as classical as this score, but still romantic in an I CAPTURE THE CASTLE kind of way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not my favourite segment musically, but - if I remember right - the vocals are nice to hear.

Scatman Crowthers, sweet! cool

I like all of TZ: TM but today I just fancied this gentle segment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A rare opportunity to hear Goldsmith score Spielberg, that TWILIGHT ZONE segment. That and POLTERGEIST, which is basically Spielberg's baby in terms of conceptualization.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

First listen.

Indeed! I also enjoy his score from SALMON FISHING IN THE YEMEN from earlier this year. It's not as classical as this score, but still romantic in an I CAPTURE THE CASTLE kind of way.

Yeah, saw that movie (salmon) and enjoyed it, despite being too naive; the score was enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    A rare opportunity to hear Goldsmith score Spielberg, that TWILIGHT ZONE segment. That and POLTERGEIST, which is basically Spielberg's baby in terms of conceptualization.

Oh, I consider Poltergeist to be a Spielberg film through and through.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. If it looks like a Spielberg film and sounds like a Spielberg, I think that it is probably IS a Spielberg film! wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZJ7oslQ09k
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Oh, I consider Poltergeist to be a Spielberg film through and through.

-Erik-

I think so would Hooper cheesy