• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If it looks like a Spielberg film and sounds like a Spielberg, I think that it is probably IS a Spielberg film! wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZJ7oslQ09k

I agree Erik, the whole film screams Spielberg's style over Hooper.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not my favourite segment musically, but - if I remember right - the vocals are nice to hear.

uhm

You're very odd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait, what vocals?
  1. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not my favourite segment musically, but - if I remember right - the vocals are nice to hear.

uhm

You're very odd.

Very odd!? wink

I do like Goldsmith's Twilight Zone: The Movie score. My favourite portion though is the "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" portion.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

uhm

You're very odd.

Very odd!? wink

I do like Goldsmith's Twilight Zone: The Movie score. My favourite portion though is the "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" portion.

I love that too but I have to be in the mood for it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love it all! Kick The Can is my favourite though, as it's just so damn magical.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I love it all! Kick The Can is my favourite though, as it's just so damn magical.

Yes, there's something about it that hits me on a 'spiritual' level.
  2. So, today - doing some shoping - I browse through what little the record shop has to offer in terms of soundtracks, and - after more than 20 years of collecting film music - I decide on impulse to add one of the ever top selling soundtracks to my collection: "Saturday Night Fever".

I am a casual listener of the Bee Gees. I basically like their music, but I'm in no way a fan.

I am not the greatest fan of disco music in general.

Truth be told: I never even saw the film. (I probably should and will, though.)

I was a bit astonished, how many artists are featured on the album besides the Bee Gees. I had no idea that David Shire had a hand in this. I really like his instrumental contributions.

Well, it's a nice easy listening experiance.

Groovie! punk
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. 'Manhattan Skyline' is a great piece of music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012 edited
    NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Special Edition) - Howard Shore

I've been struggling with this one all day. I got my official promo today of this bloated version of the score. It's 2 hours long but I've been trying to get thorugh it for about 8. sleep I will try and recreated the "standard" edition tomorrow to hear how it compares.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Chicken & mushroom is my favourite! lick

Steak and ale for me! And the good news is that I'm meeting my sister for dinner tonight and we're going to a pub on Wednesday night - which is pie night!

may I congratulate you on your fine taste.

Thanks. In fact I ended up having steak and merlot and it was truly delicious.

Straying off topic...

Die Hard 2 - Michael Kamen

I'm not entirely sure why I bought the extended version - I'll never listen to it (even if you chop all the pointless bonus material off, it's still 98 minutes long) - but it's certainly very well-written and probably a better listen than the first score, really. But I should have stuck with the original 40-minute album, which is infinitely better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Special Edition) - Howard Shore

I've been struggling with this one all day. I got my official promo today of this bloated version of the score. It's 2 hours long but I've been trying to get thorugh it for about 8. sleep I will try and recreated the "standard" edition tomorrow to hear how it compares.

-Erik-

Good luck... this is an extreme disappointment for me. It will need a lot of work to turn it into a proper album and I won't have the time. Even it someone had actually bothered releasing a proper album, it still wouldn't have been as good as the LOTR ones, but this extended version is stupefyingly boring. My initial thoughts of it being a two-star album now seem a bit generous.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Good luck... this is an extreme disappointment for me. It will need a lot of work to turn it into a proper album and I won't have the time. Even it someone had actually bothered releasing a proper album, it still wouldn't have been as good as the LOTR ones, but this extended version is stupefyingly boring. My initial thoughts of it being a two-star album now seem a bit generous.

I've had a certain amount of luck removing a bunch of the middle tracks in the standard edition (ditch Troll-hoard, Hill of Sorcery, The Hidden Valley through The White Council) but even then, there's too many long tracks where all the interesting stuff is in the middle and there's a bunch of boring nothingness around it. It desperately needed an editor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A few of the bonus tracks are really good. "Erebor" is a fantastic cue! Do we hear that theme anywhere else in the score?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But why stick them all at the end? What possible thought process went into making that decision?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's make you buy the special edition to get the best tracks of the score! I don't know!

Most die hards are going to buy the special edition and they're going to love it! I'm glad to have heard the special edition because it exposes the major weaknesses of the score! Like the other complete edition LOTR releases The Hobbit doesn't hold to together very well in complete form on CD. Only the truly GREAT scores do, IMO!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    'Manhattan Skyline' is a great piece of music.

This is true. One of my favorite tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's make you buy the special edition to get the best tracks of the score! I don't know!

Most die hards are going to buy the special edition and they're going to love it! I'm glad to have heard the special edition because it exposes the major weaknesses of the score! Like the other complete edition LOTR releases The Hobbit doesn't hold to together very well in complete form on CD. Only the truly GREAT scores do, IMO!

-Erik-

Isn't the normal edition, the rolling stone one, enough as a listening experience?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's a corking track! punk I'd say the album is worth it for that alone but there's actually quite a few highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Isn't the normal edition, the rolling stone one enough, as a listening experience?

I think it's a highly unsatisfactory listening experience!
  4. I don't know why they didn't edit a 50-70 minute CD as the initial release that included the main themes and highlights of the score as a whole. People could have digested this, become familiar with it with the score building up a following. Then, once people were keen on hearing more from the score hit them with various version of an expanded release.

This model seemed to work well for the 3 Lord of The Rings scores. I wonder why they didn't do it with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?

It seems to me that, doing it this way round, they are making their jobs more difficult. Unless they have presumed that all the enthusiasm for the original scores has been carried over to this one. (I hope that there's not the same sort of assumption in the film-makers with the film itself - though I feel that they may have to some extend: everyone loved the original films therefore they will love this one so lets play with the film formats - 3D, 48fps, etc).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

For me, none-to-very-few scores hold in their complete forms; i wasn't - and never will be - fan of those releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's a corking track! punk I'd say the album is worth it for that alone but there's actually quite a few highlights.

A highlight is Walter Murphy's Disco Beethoven track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Isn't the normal edition, the rolling stone one enough, as a listening experience?

So the rolling stone stream IS the special edition? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

For me, none-to-very-few scores hold in their complete forms; i wasn't - and never will be - fan of those releases.

For Odin! <-- viking cheering!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012 edited
    Heck, few scores even manage to keep my interest up to the final track in a regular release; i often turn them off halfway and resume from that point onward the next day.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No!

The Rolling Stone stream is the "regular/normal release" - 2 CDs, 26 tracks, running time 1 hr 47 minutes.

There is a "special edition" - the WaterTower promo - 2 CDs, 32 tracks, running time 2 hrs 07 minutes.

The special edition includes 7 tracks from the regular release that have been extended plus 6 tracks that are only available on the "special edition".
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    One thing I'm noticing cruising other messageboards is that most everyone loves this release (at least the standard). These are probably people who are content to listen to individual tracks as opposed to the entire thing as a whole. That's valid, I guess. I come from a classical music background where ideas are more compressed and long film score releases tend to wear me out because of the inherent repetition.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Heck, few scores even manage to keep my interest up to the final track in a regular release; i often turn them off halfway and resume from that point onward the next day.

It depends but that's often me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No!

The Rolling Stone stream is the "regular/normal release" - 2 CDs, 26 tracks, running time 1 hr 47 minutes.

There is a "special edition" - the WaterTower promo - 2 CDs, 32 tracks, running time 2 hrs 07 minutes.

The special edition includes 7 tracks from the regular release that have been extended plus 6 tracks that are only available on the "special edition".

Thanks Alan! What confused me is that i thought there would also be a 1cd regular release and the 2cd's were saved for the special edition; i just now realized that both editions are 2cd's!