• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. justin boggan wrote
    Is it just me, of have trailers in the last, say, five to ten years, been created not only to get people into the seats but also to lie to the audience to get them in...

Don't tell me that what I have been using to base decisions on doesn't actually reflect what the product actually is like!!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. You can't handle the truth! No truth-handler, you. Bah, I deride your truth-handling capabilities!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    I really thought the marriage with the Mexicans was completely wrong in so many musical ways. And the film was equally weak.

The guitar parts were kind of gimmicky (if fun) but the Mermaid and Spaniard* themes feature some of the best choral writing of Zimmer's career. IMO of course. *I mean the one featured at the end of the "On Stranger Tides" track on the album, which seems to play whenever the Spanish guys are doing dramatic stuff. Or just walking around, actually.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    I thought the choral stuff was written by someone else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It wasn't written by Whitacre, Zimmer consulted Whitacre before he wrote the score for training on choral writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    And I think the training continued to show in the very interesting, unique and effective (if not to everyone's tastes) choral writing in The Dark Knight Rises.
  3. The entire Mermaids track is credited to Whitacre on the CD.
  4. Timmer wrote
    I really enjoyed the first one but the next two were interminable, I'll not suffer a fourth.

Really? I thought the third Pirates score was not only the best of the lot, but also one of the best scores of Zimmer's entire career!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jon Broxton wrote
    The entire Mermaids track is credited to Whitacre on the CD.

And he has frequently claimed to have written it (with the invented-language lyrics by his wife).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree, Jon. POTC3 is a fabulous score and one of Zimmer's best!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I really enjoyed the first one but the next two were interminable, I'll not suffer a fourth.

Really? I thought the third Pirates score was not only the best of the lot, but also one of the best scores of Zimmer's entire career!

Ditto! Again it seems that much of it wasn't written by him, though, based on the number of people who claim to have written a cue or two for it on their websites.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    POTC3 is one of the few Zimmer scores I actually like. Good fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jon Broxton wrote

Well, that's ridiculous and obviously untrue (the credit I mean, not you saying that he's credited)...that track is filled to the brim with Zimmerisms. And we all known Zimmer's love of handing out credit to people that help him...
  5. Demetris wrote
    n.p. JOHN LUNN - Downtown Abbey

Is this under-appreciated or what?

Yeah, I'm surprised it's not more popular here. I love it and the series. Can't wait for Season 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No idea why it has been such a hit.

That is because you've never seen it wink You should try out the first season at least. It's only a handful of episodes.

NP - LIFE OF PI - Michael Danna

First listen. Danna does Indian music well, doesn't he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No idea why it has been such a hit.

That is because you've never seen it wink You should try out the first season at least. It's only a handful of episodes.

NP - LIFE OF PI - Michael Danna

First listen. Danna does Indian music well, doesn't he?

World music, rather. He's most vividly taking journeys into various musical worlds with different kinds of scores he writes, listen to 8mm for instance.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I agree, Jon. POTC3 is a fabulous score and one of Zimmer's best!

-Erik-

True, true!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Scribe wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

Well, that's ridiculous and obviously untrue (the credit I mean, not you saying that he's credited)...that track is filled to the brim with Zimmerisms. And we all known Zimmer's love of handing out credit to people that help him...

Whitacre wrote on his website, that he co-composed the Mermaids Theme with Hans. On Hans-Zimmer.com Geoff Zanelli is also credited for this track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And he also worked for the fishy fishy pasta pasta thing?
  6. Nope. But half of the internets did.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

And he has frequently claimed to have written it (with the invented-language lyrics by his wife).

Whose his wife? Elizabeth Fraser?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Timmer wrote

I didn't make myself very clear there Jon, I was talking about the films, not the scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

Israeli sopranist Hila Plitman, don't think she's really famous unless you read a lot of film music booklets. She performed soprano parts on Da Vinci Code and Pirates 3.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

Israeli sopranist Hila Plitman, don't think she's really famous unless you read a lot of film music booklets. She performed soprano parts on Da Vinci Code and Pirates 3.

I was joking Pawel. I only said it because Liz Fraser invented her own language for the Cocteau Twins.
  8. :oops:
    • CommentAuthorLars
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

she did an amazing job on Jeff Ronas score album Songs Of The Sea - The Regatta Suite for the olympic summer games 2008. the song Wisdom Of Wind is fantastic.
  9. I just put on "Cloud Atlas" after I read with astonishment how much CC hates the score over at Filmtracks. (Look at the board!) I really value his judgement but I can't follow him here. Sure, the score is no masterwork, but it's an OK score with some really nice moments IMHO.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't give a rats ass how simple the music maybe be. If it moves emotionally then it's doing its job. For instance, BT's Monster. Seems like rather simple score but it's one of the rare scores written in the last 10-15 years that continuously brings me to tears.

Cloud Atlas, while I haven't seen the film so I don't know how it works in context, give me butterflies in my stomach. I get a genuine and pleasing emotional reaction out of Tykwer, Heil and Klimick's music and that's alright with me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!